4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 2:33 PM by dj_paige

Transitioning Library from External to Internal HD

ScottKR

I recently migrated my aperture library to lightroom.  Do to space constraints I had my lightroom library created on an external drive.  Now that I have removed my aperture library from my local drive I would like to now have my lightroom library on my local drive.  Is there a way to change folder locations of all of my library with one command.  I understand how to click each folder and then point it to the copy on my local drive, however there are hundreds of folders (a folder for each day I have taken a picture over the last 10 years) and it would take all afternoon to point to each folder. 

• 1. Re: Transitioning Library from External to Internal HD
          dj_paige Level 9

Now that I have removed my aperture library from my local drive I would like to now have my lightroom library on my local drive.

Yes, there is a way, but it seems pointless to me, everything is fine with the photos where they are. You will have to do a certain amount of work to move the photos and then re-link in Lightroom, and you get no benefit (plus there is the possibility of errors). Lots of work, no benefit, I recommend not doing the work.

But if there are reasons you haven't stated for doing this, you can do this move via the instructions in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" of this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

I understand how to click each folder and then point it to the copy on my local drive, however there are hundreds of folders (a folder for each day I have taken a picture over the last 10 years) and it would take all afternoon to point to each folder.

See figure 4 and associated text in the linked document.

• 2. Re: Transitioning Library from External to Internal HD
            ScottKR Level 1

They work fine on my external, however I am running a MacBook with a 1Tb HD and would prefer to not have to plug in my external to access photos

• 3. Re: Transitioning Library from External to Internal HD
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

For the how-to:

Close LR if it is running.

Using Finder, copy the directory tree of images from the external drive to the internal drive.

If your LR catalog is on the external drive and you want to move it to the internal drive, copy it with Finder.

Open LR, open the correct catalog, go to the Library, Folders panel.

Right-click on a top-most folder that you moved, select "relocate" or the similar text. Navigate to the folder on the internal drive.

If you have more than one top-most folder, repeat as needed.

• 4. Re: Transitioning Library from External to Internal HD
                dj_paige Level 9

Right-click on a top-most folder that you moved, select "relocate" or the similar text.

Update Folder Location is the command