13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 10:02 PM by creazer

Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?

creazer Level 1

Hi. I have the Knoll Light Factory EZ effect on premiere and After Effects. In some of my clips the camera is moving, and in others the object  is moving and it's very time consuming having to put keyframes every few frames. Can someone please help me in teaching me how to track that effect. I wouldn't mind knowing how to do it in Premiere as well. I have the latest version of Premiere and After Effects and am using an iMac. Premiere version v10.4 operating version El Capitan 10.11.6 after effects 13.8.1.38

• 1. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
          creazer Level 1

I have also sent an email to Red Giant as they are the developers of this effect to ask how to do it.

• 2. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This resource on the Adobe website should help.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
              davidarbor Adobe Community Professional

Hey Creazer, Szalam posted a great resource, but I recorded a tutorial for you to pass the time while I'm exporting something.

• 4. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
                creazer Level 1

David. Holy cow. That was perfect. Thank you very much for the helpful video and the way you explained it was easy to understand. It's done!

• 5. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
                  creazer Level 1

Hi Slazem, Your answer was correct also and I really want to thank you for your help, Much appreciated

• 6. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
                    creazer Level 1

How do you analyse the footage so quick? It took mine ages. I'm using an iMac late 2014 model 27 inch Retina, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB.

• 7. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?

I have a Late 2013 iMac, so it's not as powerful as yours, but my clip was very short and I was just tracking two points. If you're using the camera solver then it would take a bit longer, but that's an entirely different process.

If you are using the motion tracker then it can also take longer if your tracking squares are too big because Ae is scanning a larger area of your footage. The size of those squares can definitely make a big difference—too small and you won't have a good track, but too big and then you make Ae work unnecessarily hard. If it is a clip length issue, then you should only track the timeframe you need and stop it after that.

• 8. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adding to David's comments, the format of your footage makes a difference, the frame rate, the amount of noise, and as David says, your workflow. Having your preferences fouled up or other software running in the background can also foul things up. AE is pretty good at guessing and automatically setting  your preferences for memory and system usage so If you have adjusted them manually it might be a good idea to let us know what they are. It's very important that you have memory and resources set up properly so AE does not choke on it's own preferences. Trying to throw too much of your system memory to AE is the most common error.  Memory allocated to AE should be in multiples of 4 GB. Another common problem is the location and size of your Media and Disk Cache. Most people make it way too big and some position the cache on a drive that does not have enough free space or is connected to the system in a less than ideal way. It's also very important that your OS and AE and the Adobe Media Encoder are up to date.

There are many ways to track objects in AE. David's technique and tutorial is just one of them. The most efficient technique depends entirely on the footage you are trying to work on. My approach to the footage that was used in the tutorial would have been slightly different, I would have use Stabilize Motion adding rotation and scale to the track, then applied my lens flair to the stabilized footage using a black solid the same way he did, then I would have added a null and attached the position of the null to the anchor point of the stabilized footage and the rotation of the null and scale of the null to the stabilized shot using a set of expressions I have saved as an animation preset. The last step is to parent the footage and the layer with the lens flair to the null. This removes the stabilized motion from the shot but still gives you the option to go back and adjust things and puts the motion into the lens flair layer.

If I had a different shot I may do the tracking in Mocha, or I may have used Corner Pin in Mocha or AE's tracker, or I may have done the tracking by hand with a few keyframes. The point is that it takes a bit of experience to learn the most effective way to accomplish a task in AE and there is no one right way to do things.

Creazer, if you want some specific help with a specific shot start a new thread and post a sample of the shot you are working on along with a detailed description of your workflow and desired effect and someone will jump in and give you a hand.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?

Thanks, Rick!

Creazer, always listen to Rick. He's been using After Effects basically since it came out.

• 10. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
                            creazer Level 1

Wow. That's great advice. Thank you so much. The squares were definitely too big then

• 11. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
                              creazer Level 1

Rick, That's a great response and I will definitely add my footage as well as the workflow. Thank you. If I were to post a video up, what's the best way to export the clip from Premiere?

• 12. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
                                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

creazer wrote:

If I were to post a video up, what's the best way to export the clip from Premiere?

Use the Youtube preset for h.264 and then post it to YouTube or Vimeo or you can just upload it to DropBox. YouTube is probably the easiest then learn how to use the tool bar at the top of the reply field to share.

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.58.56 PM.png

• 13. Re: Tracking Knoll Light Factory EZ how to do it?
                                  creazer Level 1

Yes. Perfect. I realised before I was being lazy and should of researched that myself. I'll definitely be posting up some examples and new posts very soon.