9 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2017 4:43 AM by Koepchen

Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head

regnaD_kciN

How can I use a pre-recorded (green screen or not?) talking head to trigger my puppet?

• 1. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head
          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you want to use a video file in place of a live camera, try webcam software, like ManyCam. I've found it to work very well. Ch doesn't see any difference between that and a camera.

• 2. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head
            oksamurai Employee Moderator

Here's a video tutorial on Manycam someone did a while back:

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head
              regnaD_kciN Level 1

Adobe depending on a third party app in order to read/import media?  That sounds outside of their play anything model!

• 4. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head

We might eventually integrate built-in functionality for this, but it's not a very common user request so it's currently low on the priority chain. But I'll add your voice to the list of supporters!

• 5. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head
                  regnaD_kciN Level 1

"not a very common user request so it's currently low on the priority chain."  With a video, talking head, import feature, Character Animator's uses will become unlimited!  Nearly all of Adobe's products have this feature.  This would be the biggest BangForTheBuck capability you could incorporate!

• 6. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head

I hear you! By the way, I remembered there is another way to do this:

To generate face data from prerecorded video:

• 1. In After Effects CC 2015, extract face measurements data from the video, as follows:
                      • a. Import the video footage into a composition.
                      • b. Draw a closed mask around the face, open the Tracker panel, then set Method to Face Tracking.
                      • c. Click the Analyze buttons to track the mask to the face.
                      • d. Set the current time indicator to the frame representing the rest pose for the face, then click Set Rest Pose.
                      • e. Click Extract & Copy Face Measurements.
                    • 2. In Character Animator, select the puppet with both the Face behavior and its Camera Input parameters armed for record.
                    • 3. Place the current time indicator (playhead) at the frame matching the first Face Measurements keyframe in After Effects.
                    • 4. Choose Edit > Paste. The face measurements data on the system clipboard is converted to a Camera Input take on the selected puppet.

Hopefully that helps.

In reality, I think this can often sound better than it really is a lot of times, at least in my limited experience. For example, if I took a scene from a movie or TV show or political speech, I'd need to make sure I have a long single camera scene with the speaker's face big and prominent and well lit enough and head on, without background faces that may pull away from the main one. For these kind of things I just take the voice and do Timeline > Compute Lip Sync From Scene Audio to get the correct mouth animations, and then I can record my own performance take by take over top of that (so if I just wanted to focus on the eyes, or head movements, etc - I can do that).

The green screen example as shown in the video above feels like a better use case, where you have one actor in an optimal CH environment (big face, solid background, good lighting) doing the voice and face tracking. But still, the more I use CH, the more I prefer to "build up" performances - just focusing on individual parts and blending takes until I get something perfect.

2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head
                      MasterMatt111

This is helpful, but having an option to import pre-recorded video to track would help a lot. I'm working on a project where my actor is remote and will be sending me videos of himself on webcam. In this sense it will be exactly like a webcam video, just pre-recorded.

• 8. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head
                        STUDIOMT

Hi,

I think it could be a very usefull feature to have the ability to import video too (in state of only using webcam)

Exemple : When you are editing a project, a voice over could be record in another studio (in another language for ex.), if they record video too, you could easy animate your caracter.

• 9. Re: Character Animator- using pre-recorded talking head
                          Koepchen

I also think it would be great to have the feature of being able to import pre-recorded footage instead of having to record it live. So, here is another user whom you can count on the list of supporters so that hopely one day not too far distant in the future you will incorporate this feature.

Thanks and with kind regards, Christian!