35 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 1:43 PM by heavyboots

Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

heavyboots Level 2

Just wondering if anyone knows. It's irritating trying to fish information out of the AS3 and General Animate forums doing keyword searches. Seems like especially now that 2015.2 has finally upped the abilities for HTML5 targeting that it would be nice to have one consolidated place to discuss *just* programming to that target.

• 1. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I believe that is what this forum has become, though I was hoping for the same thing quite some time ago.

• 3. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
            heavyboots Level 2

No offense intended, but since my projects have absolutely zero to do with ads, why would I ever think to look there? I'll check it out though.

EDIT: Yeah, none of that pertains very much to what I'm trying to do unfortunately.

The things I'm interested in are more advanced topics like the best way to integrate sound, using your own custom libraries of code, embedding self-contained clips in other html5 timelines, etc etc…

• 4. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
              Nipun Asthana Adobe Employee

There isn't any other forum for it then.

This forum itself is the best place for all that info i believe.

• 5. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                rosebudd Level 3

We really should have a non SWF forum. If Animate HTML5 Canvas is going to mature, it needs a dedicated place where people don't have to figure out if the question pertains to SWFs or canvas. And where those who want to do advanced things, can inspire and learn from each other. I bet if you put a poll up you would be surprised.

• 6. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                  heavyboots Level 2

Thank you rosebudd. Couldn't have put it better!

• 7. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                    Preran Adobe Employee

The reason why we avoid creating separate forums is because we don't want to confuse users with too many options, and also spread our resources thin.

We already have a forum called Coding Corner Coding Corner  that is product agnostic where such topics can be discussed. The only people taking advantage of it currently seem to be from DW.

I will monitor this post to see your observations and if it makes sense for us to have an exclusive forum for JS and HTML5.

• 8. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                      rosebudd Level 3

You are already confusing people. We have to try to ascertain whether the questions and answers pertain to SWF or Canvas. As someone who saw what a great resource Kirupa was, with fantastic search functionality, I have to say I have never seen a more frustrating forum. Kirupa had separate forums for everything because this stuff is not interchangeable. And while I am ranting what is the deal with only 5 questions showing, and when you click "show more" only 10.

• 9. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                        gperry91 Level 1

Just allow people to add a tag to the posts (Flash Player, AIR, HTML5)

There is no need to split the forum up.

• 10. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                          rosebudd Level 3

You can't even get people to write informative subject lines.

In "coding" not related to Flash, Kirupa had these category breakdowns

Web (HTML5, CSS, JavaScript)

(9 Viewing)Get answers to your questions relating to HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, and more!

Server-Side (PHP, SQL, ASP.NET, etc.)

(3 Viewing)Get your XML, PHP, ASP, etc. questions answered here.

Other (Java, C, C++, etc.)

(2 Viewing)Post any questions you may have about non web-orient

• 11. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                            marjantrajkovski Level 4

I suggest RELATED COMMUNITY - CreateJS like ActionScript 1 and 2, ActionScript 3 RELATED COMMUNITIES Adobe Animate CC - General Adobe Animate exchange extensions ActionScript 3 Adobe Animate Ad Development ActionScript 1 and 2 Adobe Scout

• 12. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                              Factgathering2010 Level 1

Adobe is not listening to its users. We are *trying* to make it work with Animate CC, and it feels like Adobe is actively trying to stop us. We cannot browse the forums because Adobe only lists 10 topics, and Adobe will not respond to user requests for a dedicated HTML5 forum. And, as of this writing, there is just *one* book about Ainmate CC.

Is anyone at Adobe paying attention?

• 13. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm a moderator here, and I could start a discussion behind the scenes about this. I'm not sure what's best though.

If you look at the forum index there are well over 300 forums, several of which are related to what we talk about here. There are a few for AIR development, one for Flash Builder, one specifically about using Adobe Animate for creating ads, another for Flash Player, and so on.

Some of the forums are about the tool you are using, and some are about what you are trying to do. This forum ought to be about the tool you are using, Adobe Animate, and it would be a shame if someone got steered towards a CreateJS specific forum to solve a problem that anyone who uses Animate could answer.

Now, if someone does come here and needs deep help on a topic that is purely CreateJS, or AIR, or Flash Player, there could be another forum for CreateJS questions, like there is for AIR and Flash Player.

I think that would be a shame though. One of the values of having the CreateJS questions here is that AS3 users will get exposed to the difficulties of creating HTML5 content, and Javascript users will get to learn that you can use the same tool for making mobile apps, without having to use a PhoneGap way of development.

There is still the issue of knowing what someone is asking about. As Rosebudd (shouldn't that be 'rosebud'?) says, people don't say what they are asking about. It would be nice to have some sort of checkbox for AS3/AIR/CreateJS. Or, convince people to give intended delivery platform details in their question.

A difficulty is that a lot of people don't know that the same tool can do those other things, and may not even know that their HTML5 Canvas FLA is going to be using CreateJS when it's published.

Anyway, I can still raise the question in the moderators forum, see if this issue has been solved for other Adobe tools.

BTW, there are a lot of posts here from the Adobe Animate team, and from what I can tell there are at least three Adobe Animate books.

• 14. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

Hi Colin -- Thanks for you reply. A few quick thoughts:

1) It would be ideal if users could at least scan all of the previous forum posts instead of being limited to the 10 most recent posts. This is how the community grows, and it is how individual users deepen their knowledge of the product. I will often read through software forums, skimming the headlines, making mental notes for future reference, and offering help if I someone else has asked a question to which I have the answer. If the moderators could take this simple step of allowing us to browse backward through the forums, I think this would be a step toward improved morale.

2) I can only find one book about Adobe Animate CC in Amazon and on Safari Online. I am thrilled to learn that there are two other titles. Can you point me toward those books?

3) The community is deeply frustrated about the lack of a clear roadmap and vision for Animate CC. For example, I have taught a course for five years that uses Flash Professional and ActionScript as a tool for teaching beginners the fundamentals of object oriented programming. Flash was an ideal tool for this because we could begin with simple animations and then build on the students' intuitive recognition of objects to understand how to program with external class files. Flash used to have an amazing community and network of creative types built around Actionscript, and it's not even remotely clear where we should be heading as educators or as individual creators. In fact, the only book that I managed to find about Animate CC uses timeline scripting which is not preferred programming practice for the same reason that we don't embed JavaScript and CSS inside all of our HTML files.

4) I realize that my comments are drifting from the original concern about the forums, but it also seems to me that Adobe needs to take responsibility for fast-tracking the production of training resources (e.g. comprehensive manuals, in-depth Lynda tutorials) and roadmap documents if you want to breathe life and excitement back into the platform. Some might say "It's not Adobe's responsibility to create third-party manuals" or "we have no control over these things," but that simply is not true. If you want to grow the community, you would actively push this agenda with the leading publishers. And, if the publishers won't do it, you would pay technical writers to do it for you under the Adobe imprint. I suspect that publishers are hesitating to publish books for the exact same reason that your users are freaking out: because nobody knows where Adobe is heading with this product.

Much of this is probably out of your hands as the forum moderator. But, you could at least unlock the forum archives so we can periodically browse posts and catch up on what we've missed.

Thanks for replying to my message.

Aaron

p.s. If you can point me to the other Animate CC books, I would be thrilled. Also, do you have any news about updated ActionScript manuals? Or perhaps manuals that talk about how JavaScript should be used now if ActionScript is being phased out as a scripting language for HTML5/Canvas? 

• 15. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

For the books, I just searched in Amazon, and found a lot of books that weren't really about Animate, and three that seemed like they were. I didn't look into them more closely to make sure they were on topic. My Internet isn't great at the moment, and Amazon.com isn't loading.

About the roadmap, it's true that Flash Player roadmaps are infrequent, and Flash Pro/Adobe Animate roadmaps never happen, but there is a prerelease program (I've been on Flash Pro prerelease since CS1). Many times there have been posts here from Adobe team members inviting people to join the prerelease. If you have a particular area of interest, it could well be one that is not covered by other prerelease members, so Adobe would be happy to have you involved.

Look at this topic to see an example of Mohan asking people to PM him to join the prerelease, and please do PM him if you're interested!:

Re: Change onion skin color

I can't tell you what's coming up next for Animate, but they are already working on features for the next release.

• 16. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

Thanks, Colin. BTW, can you do anything about the forum browsing issue? I would love to browse the Animate CC forums, but the current configuration of the forum software makes this impossible. This seems like something you could easily do to improve community morale.

• 17. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

You can see at the bottom of the page that the forum is "powered by jive". I'm not sure how much control Adobe have over the feature development of Jive. You might want to start a new topic just about browsing, perhaps here: Forum comments

• 19. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                          heavyboots Level 2

Now, if someone does come here and needs deep help on a topic that is purely CreateJS, or AIR, or Flash Player, there could be another forum for CreateJS questions, like there is for AIR and Flash Player.

I think that would be a shame though. One of the values of having the CreateJS questions here is that AS3 users will get exposed to the difficulties of creating HTML5 content, and Javascript users will get to learn that you can use the same tool for making mobile apps, without having to use a PhoneGap way of development.

My questions are purely CreateJS and/or trying to integrate JS at a higher level than just "create a button", which is why I get so frustrated trying to find answers. You're stuck searching for html5 and canvas and hoping they were polite enough to actually put that in the subject line in the AS3 forum. And incidentally, it is the existence of an AS3 forum that lead me to ask this question in the first place. JS unfortunately isn't AS3—it's close but far enough off to make it confusingly different. If you guys want to call it CreateJS or Javscript for Flash or whatever instead of HTML5, that's fine by me. I'm after a coding community that is specifically working with JS and Flash, much like there is an AS3 coding community for working with AS3 and Flash…

Alas, my 7 day trial has run out and I'm close to answering the questions I needed to but not completely there. Things I had on my checklist before HTML5 was a viable alternative for our educational materials were:

• Play sounds programmatically. The answer appears to be yes, now. Honestly it may have been yes years ago, but it wasn't until I saw the audio code in the Flappy Bird Clone that I was able to discover how to do it.
                                          • Synch audio to timeline (stream mode). Answer still appears to be no, but harder to tell for sure if this will ever be a real issue. We're mostly showing highlights at certain points on the timeline and could either show them programmatically at x number of seconds or just trust that most people's browsers will keep up and do it graphically.
                                          • Preloaders… Yes, as of 2015.2 it's easy to do them finally.
                                          • Use code libraries (ala AS3 imports). The HTML5 template feature in 2015.2 seems to allow for this finally. Except I wasn't successful in finding a way to pass a function as a variable into the code library and back out again. I think I need to learn more about using JS objects in order to do this correctly though.

Issues 1 and 4 in particular would have been best addressed in a specific forum for JS/CreateJS/HTML5.

(And as a completely random aside, if Adobe is going to offer 7 day trials instead of 30 day trials, it actually becomes important to distinguish between *business* days and normal days. Because it was really only a 5 day trial for my purposes…)  >:-(

At any rate, thanks to everyone who has replied to this. Glad to see it generate some discussion and interest. Glad to see there are others in here struggling with the same issues (because misery loves company lol!). Have a great Labor Day Weekend all!

• 20. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

Hi Colin -- Thanks for the lead. I just posted in the "Forum" message board. I realize that the system is powered by Jive, but the ability to look back through old postings is hardly a new feature request. This has been a basic feature of asynchronous messaging systems since the birth of USENET and the emergence of bulletin board systems back in the 1980s. It's a user configurable switch, and *someone* at Adobe seems to have decided that users should only be able to browse the 20 most recent postings. This is completely counter-intuitive and at odds with how forums are not supposed to work.

As Heavyboots says, I appreciate your willingness to field our questions on the holiday weekend. But I am also feeling *so much* frustration with Adobe as a company right now. Perhaps you can convey to your colleagues that the crowds are getting restless over here in the product forums.

Aaron

• 21. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

Thanks for these links, Colin. I will eagerly await the arrival of these (and other) Animate CC books.

• 22. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Factgathering2010 wrote:

Hi Colin -- Thanks for the lead. I just posted in the "Forum" message board. I realize that the system is powered by Jive, but the ability to look back through old postings is hardly a new feature request.

I have replied to your post in "Forum Comments".  See if that is what you want:

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/8983595?et=watches.email.thread#8983595 >

Good luck.

• 23. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                  mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

We had HTML5 forum but it was closed down by Carey Burgess in February/March 2013 and all old posts were merged with Dreamweaver Forum.

All HTML5 questions, suggestions etc can be asked on DW forum:

<Dreamweaver support forum >

• 24. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                    rosebudd Level 3

The DW forum is not a solution for Animate CC createjs questions. Here is a thought, since this powered by Jive forum is such crap, and Kirupa created an amazing forum with all the functionality anyone could want, and divisions that make sense (client side, server side, AS2, AS3, IDE) Adobe should hire Kirupa to create a forum for their products, since Adobe  just outsources this stuff anyways. This jive forum is without a doubt the worst forum UI I have ever seen.

KIRUPA | become a better web developer

• 25. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                      Preran Adobe Employee

Thank you for the feedback. I will ask my team about creating a subforum for HTML5 and JavaScript issues. And I will keep monitoring this post for a week to make sure that I have captured all opinions.

• 26. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                        Preran Adobe Employee

Hi all,

I have created a separate forum post for this topic based on my observations, and discussions with the teams at Adobe. Can you please share your thoughts on how to proceed?

New sub forum for JS, HTML5 canvas, and such queries?

Thanks,

Preran

• 27. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                          heavyboots Level 2

Hi Preran,

I went to the new post, but oddly it seems I can't reply to it? I am logged in and I can still reply to this one. Just can't find a reply button at the bottom of the post…

At any rate, my recommendation would be something like CreateJS for Flash or Javascript for Flash as a forum title probably? Something to designate that it's specifically about programming issues related to using HTML5 target similar to how Actionscript 3 is used to designate issues with programming to the SWF target.

At this point, I can't help out with policing the forum as my org still hasn't approved buying Adobe software as a subscription, but I'd love to see it happen simply because then there would be one forum where Javascript questions and usage would hopefully start to accumulate.

I appreciate you guys being open to this—hopefully it will help to more rapidly advance adoption of HTML5 as a target!

• 28. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

HTML5 Canvas and WebGL are both Javascript, but quite different syntax. A Javascript forum would be ok, but we should be prepared to still go through the question of whether someone is doing WebGL or not.

I think the majority of people will be using Javascript for HTML5 Canvas, so the WebGL issue isn't a big one.

• 29. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                              Preran Adobe Employee

I am not sure as to why the Reply button has been disabled for my forum post. If you want to, can you try opening the page and see if you are logged into Adobe forums?

I will wait until Friday to capture all the feedback, and then we can take a collective decision on this idea. Like I said, my only intention is to ensure that the subforum that we create has enough participation, and is successful.

Thanks,

Preran

• 30. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

That post is just not set up to allow replies. I am definitely logged in, and replying here ok, but in the other post there is no Reply link.

• 31. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                                  mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Preran wrote:

I am not sure as to why the Reply button has been disabled for my forum post. If you want to, can you try opening the page and see if you are logged into Adobe forums?

I will wait until Friday to capture all the feedback, and then we can take a collective decision on this idea. Like I said, my only intention is to ensure that the subforum that we create has enough participation, and is successful.

Thanks,

Preran

I am logged in and no reply button.  See this picture:

2016-09-08_18-54-00.png

It could be that the Forums were in Maintenance mode earlier today and I wasn't able to login at all.  I was getting the standard page in various languages informing of this.

• 32. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                                    Preran Adobe Employee

That could probably be the reason. Let me know if you are continuing to face these issues.

• 33. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                                      heavyboots Level 2

Colin Holgate wrote:

HTML5 Canvas and WebGL are both Javascript, but quite different syntax. A Javascript forum would be ok, but we should be prepared to still go through the question of whether someone is doing WebGL or not.

I think the majority of people will be using Javascript for HTML5 Canvas, so the WebGL issue isn't a big one.

Presumably since it's a subforum of the Flash/Animate CC forum, the WebGL issue shouldn't come up too often?

(And btw, as others have stated, I'm logged in and everything. Just no Reply button on the new post from Preran still.)

• 34. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?

Animate does publish to HTML5 WebGL 2D, and some people are using it for that. In some cases it way out performs HTML5 Canvas.

• 35. Re: Are we ever going to get an HTML5 Canvas/JS subforum?
                                                                          heavyboots Level 2

D'oh! More stuff more me to learn apparently…