3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 9:38 AM by ethandale

Smoothing Rotoscoping Motion

ethandale Level 1

So right now, I am trying to edit a video to get a sort of "lightsaber battle" effect. I'm using the sort of rotoscoping method outlined in this video: Lightsaber Effect Part 1 - Adobe After Effects CS6 Tutorial - YouTube

In the video, you can see that when he moves the edges of the solid, it stutters a little bit. I am experiencing this same phenomenon, and it makes it very hard to get the quick precision that I am looking for, because when editing 20 minutes of fighting, it could take me a full month non stop at this rate. Is there any way for me to disable the render preview, allocate more RAM, show the wireframes, or just ANYTHING to speed up this process? It's very slow when I have to keep going back  because I let go of the mouse button, and it still moves to another spot! :/ Thank you in advance!

Ethan

• 1. Re: Smoothing Rotoscoping Motion
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Welcome to rotoscoping.  It's a painstaking, time-consuming process.  Someone at Lucasfilm -- and now Disney -- might take a good week to do a two-minute light saber duel,

You've got TWENTY minutes.  Better grab a pot of coffee!

• 2. Re: Smoothing Rotoscoping Motion
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, you got to be real careful with YouTube videos that show you how to do things in AE. No offense to you but that one is terrible and describes a really poor technique that cannot generate professional results.

Second, 20 minutes is an awful long time. You will want to do each shot in your fight sequence as a separate comp. The success of your project depends on careful blocking, excellent directing and great camera work way more than the effects work because a poorly executed shot cannot be fixed in post. The average shot in a fight scene is less than 3 seconds.

Third, nobody but an amateur does rotoscope by setting a keyframe on every frame. The fewer keyframes you use the better. You start by looking for changes in direction. Put your first keyframe at the start of the motion then move to where the direction changes the make adjustments. Split the time difference and make another adjustment. Most of the time you can get away with very few keyframes.

Many times it is useful to Motion Stabilize a shot before doing the roto. Then you put the motion back into the shot and add the motion to the matte. Take a quick look at this example:

A a better way to find Roto tutorials is to type rotoscope in the Search help field at the top right corner of AE and check out the community resources.

Take a look at my friend Scott Squires explanation of rotoscoping.

He is one of the best: Effects Corner: Rotoscoping - Part 1

Make sure you watch both parts.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Smoothing Rotoscoping Motion
              ethandale Level 1

Thank you for the very detailed response! I'll look into this as soon as I have time, and let you know how it goes!

EDIT: I watched the video of the Rotoscoping with the dog, and even after stabilizing the video, I still did not get that incredibly rapid rotoscoping motion. I may try and find a way to record what mines is acting like, as it's very painful. I'm still working on your tips though, so hopefully I'll be able to update this again and get some feedback!

Ethan