9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 5:16 PM by dj_paige

How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?

CorJac

I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD drive which is assigned the letter C. I keep my data including photos on a conventional (platter) internal drive which is assigned to the letter A. But A doesn't appear in the list of destination drives. How do I get it to see drive A?

• 1. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
          Bob Somrak Level 5

Lightroom will NOT use the A: or B: drives for import.  These are legacy floppy disk drive letters for Windows.  Although Windows 10 will use them for hard drives, Lightroom won't.   Reassign your drive to a larger letter.

• 2. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
            CorJac Level 1

Well there was nothing specifically reserved in Windows for floppy drives. You could make them whatever you want. I had a 5 1/4" floppy with the drive letter Z. And Windows doesn't care if I use A for a hard drive. It's senseless that Adobe should ignore these drive letters. Dumb even. I guess they're the ones who believe we still use floppy drives. And there's no way I'm changing that drive letter now since it would take several hours to reconfigure everything else.

But thanks for the information. I'll just create a symbolic link on the C drive to a folder on the A drive. And thanks for getting me the answer so quickly. Can you tell me where I can report this to Adobe as a suggested improvement? Or do they just ignore that sort of thing?

• 3. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Windows users have complained about this for many years.  Please add your vote and detailed opinion in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all feedback provided: Lightroom: Display A & B Drive letters in Import Destination on Windows (NOT FIXED in 6.3)) | Photoshop Family Customer … (You've posted in a user-to-user forum which Adobe product developers rarely read.)

Even though the thread is old, there is reasonable hope that Adobe might fix the bug at some point.  In LR 6.2, Adobe reimplemented the Import window and fixed the bug. Unfortunately, they screwed up so many other things about Import that they soon reverted to the original Import window (including the A/B-drive bug).   But the LR product manager has emphatically stated that they still believe Import needs to be redesigned.  So it's certainly possible that a future release, e.g. LR 7, might take another swing at a redesigned Import window, and hopefully the A/B bug will once again get fixed.

(By the way, if you read that thread, you'll see that it's very possible LR is simply calling the wrong Windows API call, which never returns A or B.   So perhaps it's not that LR is deliberately ignoring A and B, it's just an oversight by a developer perhaps not expert in the various Windows legacy API calls.)

• 4. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
                CorJac Level 1

Thanks John. I just added my 2 cents. How is it they can ignore something that would be so simple to fix? Are they just antagonistic towards Windows users?

And I was missing the fact that i can select A in the top bar. So I'm happy with that for now.

• 5. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                  How is it they can ignore something that would be so simple to fix?

That feedback forum is filled with dozens of unaddressed bug reports reported over the past 6 years.  It's apparent that Adobe hasn't made it a priority to fix them.  I don't know why.

Are they just antagonistic towards Windows users?

I don't think so.  In the feedback forum, I haven't seen any evidence of neglect of Windows bugs in particular. A very large fraction of LR licenses are used on Windows (I haven't seen any reliable market stats), so Adobe would be financially incompetent to have a strong bias against Windows.

• 6. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
                    dj_paige Level 9

How is it they can ignore something that would be so simple to fix?

Because they have a list of 20 bazillion things that people want them to change, and they prioritize and their priorities might not match yours. This issue makes Lightroom unusable for maybe 0.01% of users, so why put the time into it? If it was something that made Lightroom unusable, or less usable, for 75% of the users, it would get fixed quickly.

• 7. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
                      CorJac Level 1

I know back 20 years ago Windows was such a small portion of their licensed users it made sense. But surely that's not the case now. Still a great product.

• 8. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
                        CorJac Level 1

Wow. I didn't realize Lightroom had so many bugs. Understood.

• 9. Re: How do I select the A drive as a destination on import?
                          dj_paige Level 9

I didn't say they were all bugs. People write in all the time about adding a feature that would only take a good programmer 1 or 2 hours to do, and Adobe doesn't usually add those either. They are looking for big impact items, that's what they spend their time on.