6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 5:35 AM by john beardsworth

Two computers and a few mobile devices

LeeCM Level 1

I started with one computer and a few mobile devices. I setup LR mobile and they sync quite happily.

I now have another notebook (Surface Pro 3). My subscription allows me to install on both computers so I did. But when I started LR and select to sync with LR mobile, it has a very scary warning that all my photos will be deleted. The explanation is so unclear that I can't be sure what it meant. I did not move on.

So my question is:

1. can I sync the catalogs of the two computers, including collections of those on LR mobile?

2. If catalogs of the two computers can't be sync up, can I at least have both of them sync to the same LR mobile content. IE., Main computer has all my photos and my LR mobile collections. 2nd computer will have local photos of its own together with what's on LR mobile collections? How do it do it?

(Before LR mobile, I know how to use export/import catalog to sync catalog of a laptop used during travel time to a main computer. It is only the mobile bit that I couldn't totally understand.) Thanks.

Raymond

• 1. Re: Two computers and a few mobile devices
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can only sync a single catalogue, and that message means what it says - if you switch to syncing another catalogue, the stuff you previously synced will be deleted from Adobe's servers. So you're right to pause for thought!

Sync currently works for a single catalogue and multiple mobile devices, so the old export/import as catalog workflow still remains valid for syncing computers.

One thing you may have overlooked is that your second computer can act as another mobile device and edit synced images - you use its web browser and log into your lightroom.adobe.com account. Editing in Lightroom on the Web is a little behind editing in LrMobile, though you can change titles and captions in the browser, which you still can't do in LrMobile. You can also drag new originals into the web browser - it uploads them to LrMobile and syncs them down to your main catalogue.

Alternatively you can keep your synced catalogue on an external drive, though I don't feel this is ideal.

• 2. Re: Two computers and a few mobile devices
            LeeCM Level 1

Thanks, John. I now understand this a bit better. Using web version of LR could be an alternative for what I want to do, except that I'll need to be online though.

I hope that Adobe would be monitoring and consider this as a comment or request from users:

1. In this web 2.x or even 3.x world, sync'ing between computers is almost given. I use some file sync services at home and office and "My Document" on both computers are always the same. I don't even have to worry about whether I'm online or offline...they'll sync once online. So I am hoping the same is true when I work on LR.

2. For what I want to achieve (and I guess many others), we are actually working on ONE catalog. The ".lrcat" on my main computer is supposed to be the same on my other computer. Both are supposed to be the same so, LR mobile should have sync'ed with them.

This leads to think of another alternative...do you think this will work:

a. On my main computer, set it up so that whenever I quit LR, it backs up to the Adobe Cloud storage (or in fact, any other file sync storage).

b. On my other computer (Surface Pro 3), I log on to Adobe Cloud as well (or other file sync storage) and open the catalog being backed up. Since it is actually the same catalog (as the main computer), will it sync with LR mobile? Obviously, most of all my photos outside of LR mobile will be shown as "offline" but it is ok. When I finish, I'll also back up the lrcat to the cloud service and when I'm home, I can see every edit I've done to the mobile files by opening the newly back up lrcat.

--- or ---

I simply store my ".lrcat" in a cloud service directory (eg., OneDrive, Syncplicity or Dropbox). When I open it on my main computer, it's local so performance should not be a problem. Once I close the file, these sync services will sync to its server and to my other computer (sp3) when I get online. I can open it on my Surface and see all my photos (though offline) plus all of the LR mobile content. Is this recommended? Did I miss anything in this thought process?

• 3. Re: Two computers and a few mobile devices
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You can only sync up collections from one catalog on one computer. Even if you move or copy that same catalog to another computer running LR you can't then continue syncing to LR Mobile from that other computer. Well you can but the sync will be lost with the first computer

LR Mobile is looking for a unique catalog ID # to sync up with which changes if you move a catalog from one computer to another.

• 4. Re: Two computers and a few mobile devices
                LeeCM Level 1

Ah! Ok. That leaves me the option to use web LR then. Thanks anyway.

• 5. Re: Two computers and a few mobile devices
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LeeCM wrote:

Ah! Ok. That leaves me the option to use web LR then. Thanks anyway.

Is this reply to my post or a follow up reply to one of your own posts?

You have replied to yourself and not to me.

• 6. Re: Two computers and a few mobile devices
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The idea will probably work, though you have to be careful. Imagine you open the catalogue on your other computer and you work on some images - but you had failed to notice that this computer was offline, or the other computer hadn't finished syncing to the cloud. So you are now working on the local version of the catalogue. OK, you can sort this out, if you notice the problem, but it's error prone. After closing Lightroom, wait until you can see the catalogue has finished syncing to the cloud. Then on the other computer, check the time stamp of the catalogue before you open it.

The other issue is what I was thinking about when I wrote about the external hard drive. Lightroom Mobile seems to record sync data in a local file called (IIRC) sync.lrdata, so using the same catalogue on two computers will result in the records of sync activity being different on each machine. I don't think this causes any harm, just a lot of checking of files and communication with Adobe's servers.