10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 4:41 AM by Laubender

Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign

Roybro1

Hi

Is it possible to create a shape in Object Styles that I can generate within InDesign? I know I can assign certain attributes but I'd like to create a capsule shape that will be repeated throughout a listings page in our sites book.

So far I have to copy, paste and anchor the object within the text which is quite time consuming as we have thousands of listings and life is too short for such mundane tasks.

If I can create a shape within Object Styles, by keying in its dimensions, it will allow me to create the style to import into InDesign from 4D our CMS.

If not, can we have it in a new-build please Adobe?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Roy

• 1. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign
          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

No, not with Object Styles.

Instead use the Content Collector and be sure to enable the Link feature so that when you update the parent you can update the links to the children.

InDesign Help | Using the content collector and content placer tools

• 2. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign

Answer number two, because I am now halfway through my first cup of coffee:

is there a pattern to how the shape is pasted and anchored? Can you post a screen shot of an example?

There are scripters who may come up something faster. Or there may be something with GREP Find and Change. But we have to see what we are working with.

• 3. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign
              Roybro1 Level 1

Hi Jane

Thanks for your prompt reply, I'll have a look at the Content Collector. I've attached a screenshot, as requested, of the brochure in question to help illustrate how the shapes fall in the listings.

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.58.41.png

As you see the ILS and CS capsules are the first objects within each entry and I have to anchor them in along with their Runaround and Baseline Shift (These attributes are copied and pasted with the object fortunately). The rest of the text and symbols are imported from 4D but the tints and images are pasted in behind the text once the text is all in place. If I can automate the majority of the work via 4D I'll be much happier.

• 4. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign
                Danny Whitehead. Level 4

That can be done with tabs and nested styles using an underline with a custom stroke style. Hopefully these screenshots should explain it...

Custom Stroke.png

Character Style Underline.png

Tabs.png

Nested Styles.png

2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign
                  Roybro1 Level 1

Thanks Danny, I'm looking into this now, I've not used Nested Styles before but it looks like this will work if I can get my head round it.

• 7. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign

Good solution, Danny, and thanks for the screen shot, Roy. It helps others to offer a solution that will work.

The basic premise of a nested style is that your create a character style. Then in the paragraph style you use the character style until a trigger, such as a tab or an em space or three words or a host of other things that can be triggers. You can nest more than one character style into a paragraph style.

Start with the custom stroke.

Then format the text.

Then create a character style based on your formatted text.

Then nest the character style into the paragraph style.

P.S: Are you doing the Bold part up the the colon (trigger) without nested styles in your current workflow?

• 8. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign
                      Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Roybro1 wrote:

I've not used Nested Styles before but it looks like this will work if I can get my head round it.

It's definitely worth it, particularly for jobs like the one you're working on, where it could save a lot of time by automating repetitive formatting. You'll see I've also used them to automatically make the text before the colons bold. If there's anything that you're still stuck on, post back.

I notice you're using double paragraph returns in your text. That's probably best avoided, instead using single paragraph returns and tweaking the space before or after settings in your paragraph styles.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign
                        Roybro1 Level 1

I really struggled with getting nested styles to work Danny, I will look into this further as it will be useful for our Club mag listed section.

I did however use the underline attribute you suggested to create a character style and because this will be exported from a text field within 4D the attributes will be tagged and so automatically be mapped to styles within InDesign.

So although I didn't directly use the nested styles I've avoided creating a graphic which needs copying and pasting. The character will be automatically generated which was my aim.

Thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: Can I create a shape using object styles in InDesign
                          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi all,
                          I don't want to confuse everyone more than necessary, but there could have been a solution for instant updating contents without further ado (e.g. updating a linked story), if only—but unfortunately it's not—anchored text frames could be threaded to one single story.

Tables

In InDesign tables provide a mechanism to update changes instantly throughout a story.
                          Changes in contents and changes in formatting. How?

When one is using header and footer rows.

A header row could provide a master (one cell) and as long there is at least one body row in every threaded text frame, the master and its changed formatting and contents would show up in every frame. Change the master, change all instances of the master in one go. Instantly!

But as I said we can't work with tables this way, because one cannot thread a story through anchored text frames.
                          That would be a feature request I'd bring to the developers. Because under the hood—by scripting—it's possible to anchor individual text frames of a threaded story to another story and build a threaded story on anchored ( and also not anchored ) text frames. However, it's not possible to thread text frames if they are already anchored.

Regards,
                          Uwe