18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 4:04 PM by ronald_a

Media Encoder

Ondrej Sevcik

hello,

why is Media Encoder so slow in CC? I have used it in cs6 but now in cc it is so slow that it is almost useless - so much slower comparing to normal render..

thank you

• 1. Re: Media Encoder
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The speed of the  AME depends on what you are doing in your comp and the format of the original footage and the format of your output. If AE and AME are up to date you should get good results using standard formats rather than highly compressed footage in your composition and picking the standard presets in AME for your output. The biggest killer of the AME is trying to use Ray-traced rendering. If you are using that feature, which I never do for paying clients because it's a feature that never worked well and is no longer being developed, you have to stick with the Render Cue and Output Module to have any success.

• 2. Re: Media Encoder
            Ondrej Sevcik Level 1

Hi Rick, thx for your reply.

I do not use Ray traced rendering and we are mostly working with compositions made of graphics, usualy no recorded footage. I measured rendering times and AME takes around twice as much time than normal render from AE. Everything is up to date, computers are new with loads of ram… the same issue occurs on three computers in our office, two pcs and one mac...

have a nice day

Ondrej

1. 9. 2016 v 16:12, Rick Gerard <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Media Encoder

created by Rick Gerard <https://forums.adobe.com/people/Rick+Gerard> in After Effects - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/8979172#8979172>

The speed of the  AME depends on what you are doing in your comp and the format of the original footage and the format of your output. If AE and AME are up to date you should get good results using standard formats rather than highly compressed footage in your composition and picking the standard presets in AME for your output. The biggest killer of the AME is trying to use Ray-traced rendering. If you are using that feature, which I never do for paying clients because it's a feature that never worked well and is no longer being developed, you have to stick with the Render Cue and Output Module to have any success.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8979172#8979172 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8979172#8979172

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in After Effects by email <mailto:discussions-community-aftereffects_general_discussion@adobe-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com> or at Adobe Community <https://forums.adobe.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=32 66>

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624 <https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624>.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe <https://forums.adobe.com/unsubscribe.jspa?email=mafra.creative%40gmail.com&token=2bf562742 0fafca307b80e52024f64fee6c701cf28780dad541c02672a80ef6c> instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences <https://forums.adobe.com/user-preferences!input.jspa>

• 3. Re: Media Encoder
              Ondrej Sevcik Level 1

The same time issue occurs when I put AE sequence into Premiere and use it as a footage (instead of rendering it first from AE and use the rendered video in Premiere).

Rendering of AE sequence within Premiere (without any additive effects) takes much longer than rendering the same sequence directly in AE.

All these issues appeared with CC.. they were not present in CS6..

thx a lot

• 4. Re: Media Encoder
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                why is Media Encoder so slow in CC?

what exact version are you using?

so much slower comparing to normal render..

what is "Normal Render" ? what are your comparison specs Ae vs AME? duration/codec etc. please describe you rendering workflow in detail

screenshots / screen capture could be helpful also

• 5. Re: Media Encoder
                  ronald_a Level 1

sorry to hop in on this. But I also have issues with AME rendering slowly. To be exact the problem is, that it does not seem to access disk cache/ ram preview when rendering an already cached comp from AE. For me this problem only exists on windows, starting  on CC2014 up to the current version of CC2015. works fine on the original CC (this is all on the same machine). I tested this on different machines (all windows), with different configuartions. It's the same everywhere. I also talk to Adobe chat support - no solution...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Media Encoder
                    To be exact the problem is, that it does not seem to access disk cache/ ram preview when rendering an already cached comp from AE.

this is actually news to me that AME can access AE's Cache. I have run some tests and got the same behavior in CC 12, CC2014, CC2015, CC2015.3 meaning when you RAM preview and then send to AME via Add to AME Composition, it will render much faster if cached first.

• 7. Re: Media Encoder
                      ronald_a Level 1

I am sure you meant cc2015. and yes, this has always been the case. (well at least since cc2013). not sure what you are saying about the rendersettings though. don't think they are getting through (did not test that due to the performance issues yet).

fact is, in CC2013 on windows or CC2014/15 on mac, rendering speed from cached comps in AME is fine.

CC2014/15 on windows it is not.

• 8. Re: Media Encoder
                        ronald_a Level 1

are you on windows?

• 9. Re: Media Encoder

sorry I edited my response after some tests maybe just before you answered please view it again. I am on Windows 7. on CC, CC2014, CC2015 and CC2015.3 I get the same behavior as AME can access Ae's Cache. I would try resetting your preferences, maybe something has gone wrong with your prefs file.

• 10. Re: Media Encoder
                            ronald_a Level 1

you don't happen to be on a dell machine, do you? this is really strange.

in anything other than CC, rendering cached comps takes longer (i suppose around the time it takes to render the comp in the first place in AE). I tested this on serveral machines with win7 and win10. its the same everywhere. on my macbook, its fine.

• 11. Re: Media Encoder
                              ronald_a Level 1

what are the specs of you machine?

• 12. Re: Media Encoder
                                ronald_a Level 1

by the way, I have the same issues in PR. Draging a cached comp into PR will result in a stuttering playback of that comp in PR. doing a preview render is as slow as in AME

• 13. Re: Media Encoder

CPU

• Processor
                                  • Core i7 6700K OC 4.5GHz Quad Core 8MB
                                  • CPU Coolers
                                  • Scythe Katana 4 Low Noise CPU Cooler
                                  • Memory (RAM)
                                  • 32GB DDR4 2133
                                  • Display Driver
                                  • nVidia GeForce GTX970 4GB GDDR5 4x Monitors 224GB / sec 1664CC
                                  • Chipset and expansion options
                                  • Intel Z170 Express Chipset:
                                  • SSD Operating System and Software
                                  • 512GB SATA-III SSD
                                  • 14. Re: Media Encoder
                                    ronald_a Level 1

well let's see if the next update fixes it as they where saying how awesome dynamic link is (which is really old news) in the new videos. thanks for your help anyways.

• 15. Re: Media Encoder

Sure thing. you are not using 13.8.1 ?

• 16. Re: Media Encoder
                                        ronald_a Level 1

well I have it installed, but due to those issues, I am unable to use newer versions of AE than the original CC (with latest patches). this problem started for me with cc2014 over a year ago. And since adobe forces everyone now to use AME for compressing mp4-files (which I use for client approval), cc2015 currently is a dealbraker for me (rendering dnxhd mxf is no better). this really sucks unbelievably hard...

• 17. Re: Media Encoder

maybe you should try contacting support. in my system it works well so it's not a discontinued feature or something. actually the latest release is very good. hope you find what you are looking for. please update the thread on whatever findings you may come across.

• 18. Re: Media Encoder
                                            ronald_a Level 1

i contacted support already, they had some suggestions, but I already tested all of them. The result was, that they couldn't help me. the fact that it works with the older version but not with the new one on the same machine is really odd. also that it is not working on any other win7 machine i have tested it on is strange. they were all dell workstations though. maybe that is the problem. if i find something, i will post it here.