6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 10:21 PM by Erkki H

PDF-X4:2010

Erkki H

Hi,

Wondering a warning which InDesign Export command gives when using a preset based on PDF-X4:2010 standard. The warning is:" The preset specifies source profiles that don't match the current color settings file. Profiles specified by the color settings file will be used."

My document contains only RGB images with Adobe RGB 1998 profile. In the color settings file RGB profile sRGB is defined. There is also a setting "Preserve profiles".

Questions:

- Where in a Preset file is defined a source profile?

- Does InDesign now change Adobe RGB to sRGB, as it is said in the warning? Or what does it mean?

Best Regards

Erkki

• 1. Re: PDF-X4:2010
          Abambo Adobe Community Professional

I'ts this condition that triggers the message, according to my tests:

If I interpret the message correctly, my presets are used. This does not interfere with tagged graphics in your document. This concerns untagged elements.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PDF-X4:2010
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've always thought this warning is at best a non-sequitur at worst a bug. When I first open the export dialog and choose the default X-4 preset I see the same info Feierwoon is showing with FOGRA27 always showing no matter what the Color Settings' or Document CMYK space is. So here the document has SNAP Newsprint assigned and Color Settings is SWOP:

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 8.45.40 AM.png

If I simply go to the Output tab and toggle the Color Conversion popup the warning goes away and the output intent and identifier are US Newsprint SNAP, which is what you would expect. None of this affects RGB. RGB images keep their assignments and if there's no assignment, the InDesign document's RGB profile is assigned.

• 3. Re: PDF-X4:2010
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've always assumed it was triggered because the settings file was created with different profiles than I use, and I've always simply ignored it.

• 4. Re: PDF-X4:2010
                Abambo Adobe Community Professional

That was my assumption too. As the PDF file created was OK, I did not further investigate... And effectively, most of my own presets do not show that warning.

• 5. Re: PDF-X4:2010
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

and I've always simply ignored it.

Yes I think it is safe to ignore it, but try simply flipping the Output>Color Conversion from No Color Conversion to something else and back. I forgot to show that capture in my first post. The odd thing is the warning talks about color settings, but FOGRA27, which  always seems to be listed as the conflicting identifier, is not used in any of my color settings files or any of the default CSFs, and it's not assigned to the doc.

If the warning is not a bug it sure seems unnecessary. When you export to the default X-4 there are no color conversions and despite the warning the document's profile, not the color setting's profile, is used as the output intent profile.

After the Output toggle—nothing has changed with the preset even though it shows modified.

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 8.45.57 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PDF-X4:2010
                    Erkki H Level 1

Thank you guys for your answers. I just ignore the confusing message.