7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 8:15 AM by shangrawj

Highlight two different faces in a group picture.

shangrawj

In a picture of a 1899 band, I want to highlight two faces--one on the left and the other on the right.  When I tried creating a second mask for the right side, the left highlight was darker.  I am a 67-year-old crazy blonde lady who is just learning After Effects so describe in understandable terms.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Highlight two different faces in a group picture.
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Easy --

• Duplicate the layer of the band picture: Ctl-d Win, Cmd-d Mac.
          • Turn off the eyeball icon on the upper layer to make it invisible.
          • Add the Levels effect to the lower layer.
          • Use it to darken the picture.
          • Turn the eyeball icon back on on the upper layer.
          • Highlight the upper layer.
          • Select the ellipse tool.
          • Use it to make a mask around one of the faces.
          • Temporarily set the mask's Mode to None.
          • Highlight the masked layer again just to be safe.
          • Using the ellipse tool again, make a mask around the other face,
          • Turn the mode for both masks to Add.
          • Play with the masks' Feather and mask expansion until you're happy with the result.

You should now have the two normal-brightness faces over a darkened picture of the band.

• 2. Re: Highlight two different faces in a group picture.
            shangrawj Level 1

You mean Effect > Color Correction > Levels and then the Brightness & Contrast levels appear and Histogram etc.?  Which control do I darken?

• 3. Re: Highlight two different faces in a group picture.
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Look at your AE project.  Find the tab that says Effects & Presets.  See that little empty spot at the top with the magnifying glass icon?  That's for searching in effects & presets.  Type in "levels".  The levels effect shows up.  Drag it onto the lower band layer on your timeline.

Pretty easy, huh?

Now just fart around with the effect until you like what you see.  You shouldn't need any other effect.

• 4. Re: Highlight two different faces in a group picture.
                shangrawj Level 1

Yup, totally blonde!  There isn't a tab that states Effects & Presets.  How do I load a picture to show you?  Or you can load one for me.  I owe you a pie of your choice!

• 5. Re: Highlight two different faces in a group picture.
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From your replies I think you should start here: Basic AE

It's almost impossible to figure out AE by simply poking around in the UI.

If you have a group shot and you want to highlight the faces you can add a gray solid, set the blend mode to multiply, add two masks in subtract mode to cut holes in the solid so you can see the faces and then add the stroke effect to draw a line around the circles. Then just animate opacity.

You could also get fancy and use a pair of circular shape layers created with the ellipse tool, a track matte on an adjustment layer and a bunch of other things like turning the entire image black and white except for the two faces.

You could also use an image that is twice the size of your comp, duplicate the footage layer twice, mask the two faces you want to show so they are each on a separate layer, center the anchor points of each layer on the faces and then scale up the two faces so they are bigger in the frame. Throw in something like drop shadow or bevel edges to complete the design.

If you are new to AE then none of what I said makes much sense so you need to start with the link in the first sentence of my reply.

To post an image here you can either use the tool bar at the top or just drag an image from your desktop or finder to the reply field on the forum.

• 6. Re: Highlight two different faces in a group picture.
                    shangrawj Level 1

Yes, that makes sense to me!  It's in the verbage!  Thank you!!!!!!