3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 2:46 AM by Rich Hinchcliffe

Preserve Underlying Transparency vs Stencils & Silhouettes

LauraHawk_Pluralsight

I am wondering when you might want to use preserve underlying transparency (PUT) vs the stencil and silhouette blending modes. I know the benefit of both of these vs the track mattes since those only let you involve 2 layers without a precomp. But is there a time when you can't really get what you want with the modes and you have to use the PUT switch? Is this just a "more than one way to do the same thing" situation, or is there an actual benefit to PUT where the others would not work?

• 1. Re: Preserve Underlying Transparency vs Stencils & Silhouettes
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I haven't used it a single time in over 15 years of AE usage. It's redundant as far as I'm concerned.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Preserve Underlying Transparency vs Stencils & Silhouettes
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I will occasionally use preserve underlying transparency in a nested comp where I have several elements that I wish to tie to a matte. It can be a real time saver if you have 20 or so layers that you either need to apply set matte to or duplicate your track matte 20 times. It's often easier for me to make adjustments that it would be to pre-compose all 20 layers and then add a track matte to the pre-comp.  It is not a replacement for a track matte, it's a different feature that is more efficient in certain situations.

The stencil alpha and silhouette blend modes are also entirely different animals and these too are more efficient in certain situations. None of these solutions is a perfect replacement for one of the others. They all have their place when compositing images and effects.

• 3. Re: Preserve Underlying Transparency vs Stencils & Silhouettes
              Rich Hinchcliffe Level 1

That's interesting, I use it all the time! I'd be pissed if they removed it

I use it when I need to mask multiple layers (i.e more than just one) with a single mask/matte.

I suppose I could precomp the set of layers I want to mask then use a track matte to mask that precomp, but that, to me seems like an extra step to take and and extra layer in one of my comps that I don't need.

But yeah, essentially it is a "more than one way to do the same thing" situation - I just think it's the tidier solution to many of those situations. At least for my personal workflows