9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 5:31 PM by neild16977003

Measurements data

neild16977003

Hi,

When using for example the Area (though also applicable to perimeter) tool to measure the area of say a square, as you go round and click on each corner, you are given the distance of the individual line you just measured. However,  once you make the final click to finalize the area measurement, I cannot see anyway to then retrieve the data showing the distances of each individual line. If you click on the square, you can see the "nodes" at each corner. but that is all. Does anyone know how to retrieve this data?

On a second matter, does anyone know if you can overlay one PDF onto another? What I would like to do is overlay a "ghost" image of a building plan onto another building plan (eg level 2 overlaid onto level 1).

Thanks in advance,

Neil 

• 1. Re: Measurements data
          neild16977003 Level 1

Though I realize a square is not a good example as of course you know what each line distance is already from the area! Let's just say we are talking about an irregular polygon

• 2. Re: Measurements data
            try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not sure about the first question, but as for the second you can use the Add Watermark tool, under Tools - Pages.

• 3. Re: Measurements data
              neild16977003 Level 1

Thanks, the watermark trick works great! Do you happen to know though if you can select the watermark manually with the cursor and move it with the mouse, so that it is exactly over the original image? I can't seem to be able to do that and it is very difficult to position it exactly using the coordinates in the update box

• 4. Re: Measurements data
                BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

When using for example the Area (though also applicable to perimeter) tool to measure the area of say a square, as you go round and click on each corner, you are given the distance of the individual line you just measured. However,  once you make the final click to finalize the area measurement, I cannot see anyway to then retrieve the data showing the distances of each individual line. If you click on the square, you can see the "nodes" at each corner. but that is all. Does anyone know how to retrieve this data?

The Area tool gives you the cumulative value of all sides, not the individual sides. You could use the Distance tool to measure each side separately.

• 5. Re: Measurements data
                  neild16977003 Level 1

Thanks Barb. However that is essentially what I have been doing - given that I need to know both the area of the room and the length of each wall, I was hoping there was some way to get both pieces of information in one step - just by measuring the area. At the moment it looks like the best I can do is make a record of each wall length as I go around measuring the area. To be honest I am surprised that the function I am after does not seem to be in Acrobat. Cheers

• 6. Re: Measurements data
                    BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

You can get that specific info from the CAD program that was used to draw the blueprints. Acrobat's measurement features are handy for quick verification, but aren't as accurate or as extensive as found in CAD apps.

• 7. Re: Measurements data
                      neild16977003 Level 1

Thanks Barb - though unfortunately I don't have access to that CAD data so will have to make do

• 8. Re: Measurements data
                        try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you want to place it manually then you can use a stamp, but then you don't have all of the nifty properties available to you like Opacity...

• 9. Re: Measurements data
                          neild16977003 Level 1

Yes definitely want to keep the opacity function - and actually on second try it is not so bad aligning with the update watermark box - thanks again for your help!