6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 3:33 PM by Obi-wan Kenobi

Rule below footnote

k8moore

Hi,

Can anyone help me create a rule BELOW a group of footnotes? I will have to apply to many 200-300 page documents, so it needs to be automated.

I don't want a rule below in the Footnote Paragraph style because if there is more than one footnote, the rules would show under each footnote which I don't want.

I don’t want to apply a rule to the bottom of each text frame as on some pages there are no footnotes so no rule is needed.

I use this GREP search to find all footnotes “~F\t.+”. I’m not very adept at GREP expressions, but is it possible to modify this GREP to select the last footnote on a page/text frame? then I can apply a different Paragraph style to those last footnotes which includes the rule below.

Or I’m open to any other ideas (GREP, Scripts or other) to automatically apply a rule to the end of my footnotes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Kate

• 1. Re: Rule below footnote
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I think the only solution is to create a second footnote paragraph style. Start with normal footnotes, don't allow to split footnotes. At the end apply this second para style to the last footnote of each page.

The second footnote para style has to be a child of the first footnote para style so that every change in the parent style will come through to the child.

Sorry, there is no other possibility to set up footnotes layout than with the top ruler.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rule below footnote
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Oups! 

Never too late!

Do you mean this?

Capture d’écran 2016-10-06 à 13.22.21.png

Simply automatic with one "Footnote" para style!

MTFBWY!

(^/)

• 3. Re: Rule below footnote
              k8moore Level 1

Thanks Obi-Wan, yes that is what I am after. I've since convinced the client that they don't want it in that particular document, but I'd still like to know how to achieve it.

• 4. Re: Rule below footnote

Ok!

Willi was wrong! You can do it! Totally automatically with just the Footnote para style!

Willi seems to ignore something essential with the para rules: The "above" para rule is technically "in front of" the "below" para rule!!

So, the "below" para rule of a para is "behind" the "above" para rule of the next para! 

So, if you only need a para rule on the last line of the last footnote, you just need to superimpose the "white/yellow" para rule above and the "blue" para rule. Of course, in the deal, the "green" stroke is managed by the "Footnotes" global settings!

Capture d’écran 2016-10-06 à 23.33.07.png

Capture d’écran 2016-10-06 à 23.33.28.png

Capture d’écran 2016-10-06 à 23.33.55.png

Capture d’écran 2016-10-06 à 23.34.16.png

That's the trick!  I've changed the "white/paper" color in "yellow" color to show you it:

Capture d’écran 2016-10-06 à 23.34.59.png

No more no less! Just simple!

(^/)

If you agree with this solution, just make it as "Correct"!

• 5. Re: Rule below footnote
                  k8moore Level 1

clever, very clever. love it.

I was trying too many overly complex fixes, that is so simple!

Thanks for the super clear instructions

• 6. Re: Rule below footnote

… Of course, some could say it's a bad solution if "image" background!

I'll answer them: "Yes!" … but don't forget I'm a Jedi and The Force a powerful ally!

Only one Light-saber hint!

(^/)

Capture d’écran 2016-10-07 à 00.26.07.png

Capture d’écran 2016-10-07 à 00.26.16.png

… No para rules! … And if the layout and the footnotes move, always one Light-saber hint!