4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 1:20 AM by Willi Adelberger

changing default language

anev90202330

My adobe indesin program is set on Hebrew.

Every new text box I create has Hebrew as a default language.

This is really anoying, as the text direction is set from right to left.

Also, when I save my publication in PDF format, the right page is on the left, and the left page is on the right.

I think the Hebrew has something to do with this.

PLEASE tell me how to fix it?

• 1. Re: changing default language
          anev90202330 Level 1

I found a way to fix it.

Edit > preferences > General > Dictionairy

• 2. Re: changing default language
            Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Edit the Basic Paragraph in paragraph panel, or make a paragraph style setup to direction you want.

For page binding, Document Setup>Binding there's two options RTL and LTR.

• 3. Re: changing default language
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

anev90202330 schrieb:

I found a way to fix it.

Edit > preferences > General > Dictionairy

No, that is wrong. In preferences you choose the dictionary for each available language but it does not influence the content of the document.

Important is to set up the paragraph and other styles correctly and in your case also the new document set up.

To get in the future everything right, close all documents, make the document setup, when no document is open. Correct and create all paragraph, character, object, table and cell styles when no document is open. All these styles might be different with RTL text languages.

Now, when everything is changed when no document is open, any new document starts with these settings.

• 4. Re: changing default language
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Salah Fadlabi schrieb:

Edit the Basic Paragraph in paragraph panel, or make a paragraph style setup to direction you want.

For page binding, Document Setup>Binding there's two options RTL and LTR.

This changes would only affect currently active and open document. And RTL has more influence in more styles than you would expect as you find RTL functionality in every kind of style, e.g. in Object styles, the story and order how columns are filled, in table styles, in which order cell are filled and read, and so on.