17 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2017 6:32 PM by killeyw80369713

Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)

Scarytree Level 1

When I import to Lightroom 5 directly from the phone the .dng files go into folders dated in the 1970s and the capture date is wrong too, usually by one day and around 12 hours on the time though (not dated in the 1970s as the folder might suggest)

If I copy to desktop and import form there the 1970s folder issue goes away but the date and time problem remains.

I've checked the original files and all metadata is correct so why can't Lightroom read it properly?

• 1. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
          When I import to Lightroom 5 directly from the phone the .dng files go into folders dated in the 1970s and the capture date is wrong too, usually by one day and around 12 hours on the time though (not dated in the 1970s as the folder might suggest)

I assume you've connected the phone to your computer with a USB cable?  There is a long-standing bug (many years old) in Import that gets the dates on folders wrong when importing via a cable.

If I copy to desktop and import form there the 1970s folder issue goes away but the date and time problem remains.

This could be a bug in LR or a bug in the P9 (more likely the latter).  Upload a sample DNG to Dropbox (or similar) and post the sharing link here. That will let us troubleshoot what's going on and suggest workarounds.

• 2. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
            Scarytree Level 1

thanks... here you go...

Dropbox - Lightroom test

File info (and title for that matter) says CREATED: Saturday, 27 August 2016 at 15:53

Lightroom says 24th August at 02.31am

• 3. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)

Interesting -- when I import the file into my LR CC 2015.6.1 / OS X 10.11.5, LR shows a different capture date, 8/24/2016 4:02:30 PM:

It is correctly reading this date from the standard metadata field in the file, EXIF:DateTimeOriginal:

I get the same results when I import into LR 5.7.1. Questions:

- Did you upload the intended file?

- If so, and you're getting different results, can you post a similar screenshot from your LR showing that file imported from a disk folder (not via a USB cable)?

- Do Help > System Info and report the exact version number and whether you're Mac or Windows.

• 4. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)

Also, view my reply in your Web browser to see the embedded screenshots.

• 5. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Like John, I see the created date as 2016-08-24 at 16:02:30 whether I open in Photoshop, Lightroom or look at the embedded metadata in the file. This is what the phone embedded in the file. You might be dealing with a timezone offset issue here.

• 6. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                    Scarytree Level 1

just adding another pic (the one of the post in the water) with screen grab of file info and also screen grab of what lightroom says is the capture time and date which are different... don't have this issue with any of my other cameras or any previous phones... thanks for your help!

• 7. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                      Scarytree Level 1

Thanks. Have put another example with screen grabs to show the discrepancy in the dropbox folder...

• 8. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                        Scarytree Level 1

PS. added screen grab of system info

• 9. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)

Ah.

The date and time you see in Finder when you do a get info on the file is NOT the time and date the image was taken. It is the time the file was copied to your Mac. It is unrelated to the date and time the image was taken. The dng file shows that the date/time that the image was taken is :

Date/Time Original              : 2016:08:24 02:49:46

This is inconsistent with the filename which looks like it was automatically created by the phone. This looks like a bug in the phone's software if you really took the image on the 26th instead of the 24th as the file itself clearly indicates the image was taken on the 24th but the filename indicates the 26th.

• 10. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                            Scarytree Level 1

yes, the finder info is correct and so is the phone generated title date and time... i took the photo on Friday 26th and definitely wasn't at 2.49am... the lightroom date and time are wrong as per the original post

• 11. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)

The lightroom date is correct according to the file metadata. It is the exif metadata that every camera writes inside the file and what is the standard to indicate date and time the image was shot. The finder created date cannot correspond to the date and time you took the image except when you are looking at the file on your phone directly in Finder which you might be doing here. Otherwise it will always correspond to the date and time you copied the image to your hard drive. From this, it really appears your phone is writing the wrong date and time in the dng file which would be a bug with Android. Lightroom can only see the date and time that the phone writes inside the file and because file system created dates very rarely correspond to the time the image was created it ignores those.

• 12. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                                Scarytree Level 1

there is something very odd going on then as the finder date and time is exactly correct to the date time i took the picture. This is now viewed directly on the phone, this file is on the desktop and the phone is not connected via USB or wirelessly. I didn't copy it to the Mac until the next day so the problem seems to be that the file info is showing the exact time and date the photo was taken and Lightroom is showing a time and date that neither corresponds to the time and date the photo was taken or the time and date it was copied to the mac... any idea what could be causing this and why it's only affecting files from the phone. Also, if I shoot in jpg everything is correct in finder AND lightroom so it's only a problem with the dng files... I can't be the only person to be experiencing this surely? Is there anyway to get lightroom to rescan the file for metadata and see if it picks up the correct info?

• 13. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)

To build on Jao's comments: There is a discrepancy between the date encoded in the filename (2016/08/27 15:53:52) and the capture date stored in the industry-standard EXIF metadata field DateTimeOriginal (2016/08/24 16:02:30).   Similarly for the second file (2016/08/26 12:22:55 veresus 2016/08/24 02:49:46).

LR didn't store the capture dates in the EXIF field -- they were stored by some other software, presumably the phone software.

Were the filenames assigned by the phone before you downloaded the files, or were the files renamed by LR when you imported into LR?  If the filenames were assigned by the phone, then the issue has nothing to do with LR -- it's something going on with the phone software.

• 14. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                                    Scarytree Level 1

found a really good workaround... lightroom offers the option to change the capture time and date to match the file creation date, which is the case of the P9 files is the correct capture time so will import and then group modify all the pics to creation date... sorted!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help, both of you!

• 15. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)

John is exactly right. Glad you find a way around it as it turns out this is a known android problem with shooting raw:

Issue 157238 - android - Incorrect Date on DNG Images from Camera2 API - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker …

There doesn't appear to be a fix.

• 16. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                                        this is a known android problem with shooting raw:

In addition to the wrong date being stored in EXIF:DateTimeOriginal, the phone software is storing DateTimeOriginal in the wrong IFD -- it is storing it in IFD0, rather than EXIF IFD as required by the spec.  LR and Exiftool appear to read that wrong location anyway. But when LR updates the metadata, it will leave two DateTimeOriginal fields in the file, possibly with different values.  You can't blame LR for this -- it's a result of the DNG file not conforming with the spec.

This is just another indication of buggy Android software.

• 17. Re: Huawei P9 dng metadata errors (date and time)
                                          killeyw80369713 Level 1

I suggest you to try this Coolmuster Android Assistant, which gives you the entire access to your HUAWEI cell phone data. By running it on computer, you will have no difficulty transferring files between HUAWEI and computer.