21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 4:34 AM by John Mensinger

Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign

dean5432 Level 1

I've constructed a 32 page booklet in inDesign.  My intent is to provide the printer a Printers Spread layout.  I've run into difficulties though in getting the doc to format correctly.  I've looked at all the online videos, and contacted an Adobe Certified inDesign instructor.  My problem is that the finished document - while correct in the preview window - ends up printing only even numbered pages.    I'm missing the right-hand page in all accounts.   The consensus appears to be that the proper procedure is Print Booklet>Print Settings>Setup>Adobe PDF.  And here's the rub.  I do not have Adobe PDF as an option.  I have PostScript, and then specific printers.  But not Adobe PDF.   It was suggested that I needed to uninstall Acrobat DC and reinstall it from the Cloud.  I've done this, but still Adobe PDF is not an option.  Does anyone have any advice for being able to install this option?  Or, failing that, create some sort of PDF doc in which the pages order correctly?  The design of the doc is facing 8.5-inch by 11-inch pages, designed to print 11x17.

• 1. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
          dean5432 Level 1

I should clarify too, this is the dialogue box when opened, and the options that I see:

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.28.08 PM.png

• 2. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
            Derek Cross Level 6

Which version of InDesign and OS?

The normal way of supplying artwork to a commercial printer is to supply a PDF as separate pages (not spreads) for the printer to impose.

You create the PDF by using the InDesign Acrobat PDF Presets. Unless your printer has supplied a spec, choose PDF/X-4.

Tick (under bleed and settings tab) Use document bleed settings and tick Crop marks.

• 3. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Dean,

it's the printers job to do the imposition.

Not yours.

Every printing machine would require its on signitures, control strips, job discription metadata (job tickets with JDF or XJDF) etc.pp.

Regards,
              Uwe

• 4. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                dean5432 Level 1

Thank you Uwe, and Derek, for responding.  I very much appreciate it.

I've read in some of these forums similar replies:  let the printer do the imposition; that's their job anyway.  But that still leaves the problem unanswered. 

The printer the client has chosen wants the booklet set up as a printers spread.  So I'm limited in my leverage.  It's not within my purview to unilaterally change printers, although that's what I want to do.  And will urge him to do.

More importantly though, Adobe says this can be done.  They have instructional videos on it.  So if it can be done, I want to learn how it's done.  If Adobe PDF should be a print option, I want to know why it's not for me.   I think these are important issues to address regardless of who does the imposition.

But too, let's say I wanted to print a one-off booklet.  Let's say it's a portfolio.  And I want to do a booklet of my own.  That's the whole idea behind print booklet.  I should be able to do it.  So I'm really interested in figuring out why I can't.

• 5. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                  dean5432 Level 1

I'm  using the most current version of inDesign, and am running the most recent version of Mac OS.  OPS 10.11.6.  InDesign CC updated via Creative Cloud.

A friend at Adobe took my same booklet and created a properly imposed document, so I know it can be done.  But following his exact instructions I can't because I don't have that Adobe PDF as a print setting that he does.  So that's the essence of my dilemma.  Why wouldn't I?

• 6. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I suspect that the printer really requires spreads. Ask your client of the contact information of the printer and talk to him. Often the clients s intermediate persons interprete something wrong.

Deliver single pages and let the printer do the imposition, anything else will cause errors. You don't have the information you need to make a correct imposition.

Don't use PostScript, no PDF creation with print, no EPS. InDesign's Print Booklet function is not to be recommended at least not for professional purposes. It may fit for some kitchen and bedroom printers to make a children birthday party invitation, but not for thise purposes.

• 7. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                      dean5432 Level 1

I met with the printer in person.  He was beyond patronizing.   And he insisted on an InDesign document that was built in imposition - completely ludicrous.  There's no way I want to work with this guy.  My friends at Adobe suggested he was not competent for this job, and they may be right.  But you see the dilemma.  Imposition may well be best done by the printer, but I need to figure out how to do it if I'm going to have any leverage here.  And like I say, you can go through online video after video and see that it can be done.  I need to address why I can't.

• 8. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

See InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Acrobat’s Adobe PDF Printer Replaced in Snow Leopard

In order to get the correct postscript output from Print Booklet you will need to install the ADPDF9.PPD printer description, which you can download from Print booklet to post script does not work | Adobe Community

• 9. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

I too suspect a miscommunication. Also, printers often don't get around to updating their published specs to reflect their current practices. It's definitely worth trying to contact them directly if at all possible.

Where are Adobe still advising the use of the 'Adobe PDF' printer? It hasn't existed on OS X since Snow Leopard. You can use this, but you shouldn't:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/save-as-pdf-options-not.html

• 10. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign

Hi Dean,

I suppose your friend at Adobe is doing this with the Print Booklet Feature that is based on PostScript and not on PDF.
                            Then s/he printed to PostScript using the old Adobe "ADPDF9.PPD" file that must be stored in the "PPDs" folder in the "Presets" folder of your InDesign Application folder. And afterwards converted the PostScript file to PDF using Adobe Distiller that comes with Acrobat Pro DC.

Some problems with using Print Booklet Feature are:

Usually you would have to use the printer's specific machine PPD (PostScript Printer Description) to do it properly.
                            And you have to know about all specific print parameters like plate size etc.pp.

On the other hand, if you are using the universal "ADPDF9.PPD", the resulting PDF has to land into a PDF workflow with the printers where it has to be processed further. And there usually the imposition has to be done. And some other things like color conversion and trapping. That's nuts.

Another problem with PostScript is that there is no support for transparency. All transparency has to be flattened when printing to PostScript. In a modern workflow transparent objects would stay transparent by exporting to PDF/X-4 PDF files.

Your problem with the client and the printer:

A solution would be to do the imposition with InDesign by placing either InDesign pages on InDesign pages and arrange them according to the imposition. Or export your unimposed pages to PDF/X-4 and place the PDFs and impose them on InDesign pages. Then do export to PDF from the imposed InDesign pages to satisfy the client and the printer.

Make sure that you bill accordingly!

Regards,
                            Uwe

• 11. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

^ Written before I saw your last reply or Peter's. Seems I was too kind in suggesting mere laziness, when it's actually wilful incompetence.

• 12. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                                dean5432 Level 1

Thank you, Uwe. 

I'm starting to get a better sense of print booklet, thanks to all your helpful responses.  Also, in searching the various forums, I'm starting to see Adobe walk back print booklet a little too.  It's curious since they created it as a tool.  But - here's a post from Adobe staff:

At Adobe, we would most strongly recommend that you don't use the internal Print Booklet facility at all. Why? Creating PDF in that manner (including the suggestion of “Was DYP”) results in a very poor quality PDF file with no color management and flattened transparency.

The correct way to deal with making booklets or imposition in general is to directly export PDF from InDesign in logical page number order, preferably using the PDF/X-4 settings with any necessary bleed areas specified.

For commercial printing, it is the responsibility of the print service provider to do the imposition of the PDF file in a manner appropriate for the printed piece and for the equipment being used. (For example, often it is much more economical to print multiple pages and spreads per single sheet, requiring more complex imposition that would ever be possible with InDesign's Print Booklet facility!) That is part of the service that you should expect from your print service provider!!!

For your own personal printing on a less sophisticated laser or inkjet printer, for example, you have other choices. For simple booklet printing, let's say two 8.5"x11" pages on an 11"x17" sheet or even two 5.5"x8.5" pages on an 8.5"x11" sheet, you can accomplish this via the booklet printing capability in the Adobe Reader or Acrobat print dialogue. Works perfectly and costs you nothing extra. If you need more complex imposition, there are a number of third party Acrobat plug-ins that do a very professional job of imposition while maintaining color management, live transparency, and even the PDF file's PDF/X status. One such set of Acrobat plug-in products are Quite Imposing and Quite Imposting Plus (available for both MacOS and Windows) from Quite Software http://www.quite.com. Another similar product is PDF Snake (Windows only) available from http://www.pdfsnake.com.

- Dov

• 13. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign

Print Booklet is meant for in-house production of small booklets on the office printer, not commercial printing. It's there only because some users requested it -- there was no booklet feature at all when InDesign was initially released and users migrating from Pagemaker were used to having it available.

In addition to the products mentioned by Dov Isaacs (who happens to be Adobe's Principal Scientist for PDF, so he's pretty much the final authority on PDF), there is a plugin for InDesign itself, IDImposer (Overview | IDImposer), and some other very old free scripts that can be used to impose an InDesign document prior to export.

• 14. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                                    philippanmei Level 4

Go to start menu and choose "Devices and Printers". see the image

01.gif

Do you found that Adobe PDF printer if not do install it. After the installation you will be able to find the Adobe PDF option in your document printer set up.

Thanks

• 15. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign

The PDF printer is a WINDOWS ONLY feature and installed automatically with Acrobat. It cannot be installed on recent versions of OSX.

• 17. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                                        Derek Cross Level 6

Isn't that an obsolete workflow?

• 18. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign

Did you look at the dates on those postscript drivers? They haven't been viable in years.

• 19. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                                            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

phillipamanmei, those are PostScript drivers for Mac OS 9. Mac OS X replaced it, and these drivers have been obsolete for 14 years. Mac OS X includes a PostScript driver of its own but there is NO ADOBE PDF PRINTER any more.

• 20. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign

Peter Spier wrote:

Did you look at the dates on those postscript drivers?
                                              They haven't been viable in years.

Especially the PPDs you can download from there.
                                              The "universal" Adobe ppd is a "ADIST5.PPD" from file "Acrobat Distiller" ( without suffix ) extracted from "adobe.sit.hqx".
                                              Don't use this one by any means.

From its contents:

*% PPD file last updated 5 December 2000

Regards,
                                              Uwe

• 21. Re: Adobe PDF is not an option from inDesign
                                                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dean5432 wrote:

Imposition may well be best done by the printer, but I need to figure out how to do it if I'm going to have any leverage here.

Not sure what form of "leverage" you'd get from being able to submit printer's spreads, but since it wasn't mentioned (unless I missed it), had you considered just doing it manually?

I mean, I get why you were compelled to pursue the absence-of-Adobe-PDF question, and of course I agree that the printer's misguided insistence on imposed spreads is grounds for dropping him, but seeing as it would have been possible to simply arrange a placed PDF of the (only) 32 pages in printer's spreads before