1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 5:15 PM by Andrew Oid

Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

.:Flook:.

Just need to vent and add to the hundreds of posts regarding speed issues with Lightroom.

I built a computer 1 year ago:

CPU:  HexaCore Intel Core i7-5820K, 4000 MHz (31 x 129)

Motherboard:  ASRock X99 OC Formula/3.1

Memory:   65458 MB (DDR4-2800 DDR4 SDRAM)

Video Card:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2 GB)

HDD: M.2 Drive - SAMSUNG MZHPU512HCGL-00000 (512 GB, PCI-E 2.0 x4)

So I'm running some very fast hardware except for a mid-level graphics card.  Overclocked 6 core cpu, 64GB of DDR4 ram and an M.2 drive that's 2 to 3 times faster than a SSD drive and Lightroom is still painfully slow when browsing images and loading 1 to 1 previews. I thought all of my Lightroom woes would disappear after building this computer but it only helped a little bit.

I have started using Capture One Pro due to Lightroom's terrible performance and have been amazed at how much faster it is for browsing images and loading 1 to 1 previews.

Are there any benchmarks out there for lightroom performance differences based on Catalog size and model of graphics card.  I'd love to see some actual data on that.  Lightroom's performance has been driving me nuts for years.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
          dj_paige Level 9

Are you experiencing this slowdown (which you state "Lightroom is still painfully slow when browsing images and loading 1 to 1 previews") in the Library module, or the Develop module, or both?

What is the exact version NUMBER of your Lightroom? Do not tell me it is "current" or "up-to-date".

Is the GPU acceleration turned on or off?

Are you doing a lot of brushing and/or spot healing on individual photos?

• 2. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
            .:Flook:. Level 1

The slowness that drives me crazy is mainly in the library module.  Just browsing through pics, loading 1 to 1 previews and switching from develope, loupe and grid view can be painfully slow at times.  I do notice that the slowness builds up over time.  I can then close and reopen lightroom to get better performance for a while.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.6.1 [ 1083169 ]

It's been this way on all versions of Lightroom for me for the last few years.

Zero brushing and/or spot healing.  Never use those.  I use a few radial filters here and there.

GPU acceleration turned on:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Driver Version 372.54

• 3. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
              dj_paige Level 9

Your GPU is not supported for GPU acceleration. Does performance improve if you turn it off?

I am wondering if your preview cache has somehow been corrupted. What happens if you delete the preview cache and let Lightroom rebuild it?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

I've redone my preview cache probably a couple dozen times over the years and have created new catalogs.  My current catalog and previews are new.  Always been the same performance for me.

I'll test it out for a while with GPU  acceleration turned off.  I find it very strange that it would not be supported and more so that Lightroom does not tell me that.  The next question would be what are the performance differences in the library module between different model cards.  If I only care about the card being great for Lightroom which Nvidia card should I get?

Here is what the Lightroom System Info says with GPU on:

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 372.54

Renderer: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

• 5. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                  dj_paige Level 9

In the Library module, the GPU should, in theory, have zero effect. Nevertheless, the suggestion to turn it off and see if the problem improves is based on the experience of people in this and other forums who find that GPU on slows down a lot of things that it shouldn't (in theory) effect at all.

The recommended cards are stated here:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Also, the whole idea of using GPU acceleration is to help with large screen, 4K and 5K screens. Do you have one of these? If not, just turn the GPU acceleration off and leave it off, and don't bother upgrading your GPU either.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

Thanks for the help.

That's what I thought in the Library Module and that's where my issues lie.  I've come to the conclusion that Lightroom is just acceptably sluggish for browsing pictures...even on high-end equipment.

I plan on getting a new card in a month or so but it would be the GTX 1080 and of course it is not on the recommended list.  I doubt the card is my issue anyway.  I'll keep testing it with GPU off.  I don't have 4k displays at the moment but that will also be part of the upgrade in the next month or so.  Two or four 4k displays and a new graphics card. I'll just keep using Capture One more and more.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

.:Flook:. wrote:

That's what I thought in the Library Module and that's where my issues lie. I've come to the conclusion that Lightroom is just acceptably sluggish for browsing pictures...even on high-end equipment.

I'm running a lower performance 17-860 system with 12GB memory with no speed issues browsing images at Fit or 1:1 Zoom view in the Library module. My display is 2560 x1440 and I'm using Canon 5D MKII 21 Megapixel raw image files. What display and camera image files are you using? Please describe exactly what you are doing and exactly what you mean by "sluggish." The devil is in the details!

There was a report some time ago about slow browsing in the Library module due to the Metadata panel setting. I don't see this issue anymore, but you can try the 'Default' setting to see if it helps:

• 8. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

I'm using a Sony A7 - 24 Megapixel raw image files

My Display is the ASUS PB238Q - 1920 x 1080 resolution

Sluggish things in Lightroom

1.  Selecting multiple files in gridview while holding the ctrl or shift key

- If I rapidly go through selecting multiple images while holding the ctrl key I'm lucky if half of them actually get selected.  I always have to pause on each image and wait for it to become highlighted.  Sometimes it's faster (still not fast enough) and sometimes it takes a few seconds for a single picture to highlight.

2. Over time - say 30 minutes to an hour of continuous use - it gets much slower at moving between images and changing in and out of modes.  If I restart Lightroom it becomes much faster again (still not as fast as any other raw viewer).

3. One to one previews take too long to generate.  Capture One is almost instantaneous while even with my souped up computer Lightroom takes over 3 seconds when running fast and when it's not running well it will take 5 to 8 seconds. That's forever when sorting through hundreds or thousands of pics and checking focus.

4. + and - keys like to stop functioning properly once in awhile.  When you left click on the attribute you want to change and then use the + and - keys to change that attribute.  A restart to lightroom or clicking in a text field in lightroom and typing a + in it will then get them working again.

It's always been this way for me since Lightroom 2 on every computer I've used.  Nothing new.  I really blame it on just crappy performance of the software...lack of good hardware acceleration, poor memory usage, bad programming, etc.  I've seen no reason to think otherwise when other raw converters blow it away in terms of performance.  There are some great features in Lightroom but it runs at a snail's pace.

• 9. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                          Abambo Level 4

It is said, that GPU acceleration is only usefull with 4k+ screens.

Did you monitor the use of system resources? If a problem builds up during time, this is most often caused by memory leaks. This could be highly interesting for Adobe support to get more information on how you use LR.

I don't have those problems at all on a similarly configured (but less powerful, as I use SSD and only 16Gb of DDR3 ram), but my be I'm not using LR that intensively in one session. But it happens to me to edit and work several hours on LR without seeing much degradation in speed.

You are aware of the fact, that the catalog file should reside on your fastest drive?

2 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                            bob frost Level 3

Have you got everything on that one M2 drive? I have my system and programs on an M2, my images on a fast internal HDD, my catalog and previews on a fast internal SSD, and my acr cache on another ssd. That helps spread the load. I also disable all LR plugins, turn off GPU, disable sync, face recognition, and GPS location (unless I'm specifically doing face or gps stuff). Then it works reasonable well. Making 1:1 previews always has been tedious; do it in advance overnight, and then there is no delay when you go through them. Keep the size of your standard previews down to a reasonable size, I use 2048. Bigger monitors slow everything down it seems; I stick to 2K.

Bob Frost

• 11. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

I'm using a Sony A7 - 24 Megapixel raw image files

My Display is the ASUS PB238Q - 1920 x 1080 resolution

So slightly higher megapixel (24 vs 21) and lower display resolution (1920 x 1080 vs 2560 x 1440). Your LR performance should be similar to mine.

Sluggish things in Lightroom

1. Selecting multiple files in gridview while holding the ctrl or shift key

- If I rapidly go through selecting multiple images while holding the ctrl key I'm lucky if half of them actually get selected. I always have to pause on each image and wait for it to become highlighted. Sometimes it's faster (still not fast enough) and sometimes it takes a few seconds for a single picture to highlight.

I can duplicate what you are seeing as described above. The solution that works on my system is to use the below Metadata panel settings when selecting multiple images in Gris view:

2. Over time - say 30 minutes to an hour of continuous use - it gets much slower at moving between images and changing in and out of modes. If I restart Lightroom it becomes much faster again (still not as fast as any other raw viewer).

LR update CC 2015.6.1 was supposed to fix this issue. I suspect it still occurs on some systems after specific editing types and session lengths. You can try Minimizing LR wait a few seconds and then Maximize it and see if it resolves the issue.

3. One to one previews take too long to generate. Capture One is almost instantaneous while even with my souped up computer Lightroom takes over 3 seconds when running fast and when it's not running well it will take 5 to 8 seconds. That's forever when sorting through hundreds or thousands of pics and checking focus.

The solution is to Rebuild 1:1 Previews after every editing session prior to reviewing them in the Library module. Simply select ALL of the image files in the folder you are editing and in the Library module go to menu Library> Previews> Build 1:1 Previews. The Standard and 1:1 Previews will be re-built for all image files with new edits. Those files without new edits will NOT have their previews rebuilt...so no worries selecting ALL image files. There simply is NO other solution–You must keep the previews up-to-date. On my system it takes ~ 4.5 sec. per image file to rebuild the 1:1 Previews and 2.0 sec. to rebuild just the Standard-Sized Previews. If you normally review the images in the Library module at less than 1:1 view size there's no need to rebuild the 1:1 Previews. Just rebuild the Standard-Sized Previews. That will allow reviewing the image files all the way up to 1:2 Zoom view. Just remember the larger the Loupe window is the longer it will take switching between image files with full-screen mode being the slowest.

4. + and - keys like to stop functioning properly once in awhile. When you left click on the attribute you want to change and then use the + and - keys to change that attribute. A restart to lightroom or clicking in a text field in lightroom and typing a + in it will then get them working again.

You may have a problem with your pointing device. What are you using? Where are you hovering in the panel when making adjustments? You could also try holding down the Shift key and simply dragging the slider, which will give you more precision.

It's always been this way for me since Lightroom 2 on every computer I've used. Nothing new. I really blame it on just crappy performance of the software...lack of good hardware acceleration, poor memory usage, bad programming, etc. I've seen no reason to think otherwise when other raw converters blow it away in terms of performance. There are some great features in Lightroom but it runs at a snail's pace.

I started using LR 1.0 in 2007 on a Pentium 4 system with 2.0 GB memory using Canon 600D 6.3 Megapixel files. Everything worked fine with no speed issues......until I bought a Canon 5D MKII. The 21 Megapixel raw files brought LR 3 to it's knees! I upgraded to an i7-860 system with 12 GB and everything was speedy until LR 6.6. LR 6.6.1 has returned performance back to very acceptable. Clearly there are some other system related issues at work causing your performance issues.

• 12. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

Thanks for all of the replies and time you guys are putting in here.  I just expected to vent a little and didn't imagine getting anything useful out of it.

So far the disabled GPU Acceleration seems to make a noticeably good performance difference. Thanks!

I have an M.2 drive, and two ssd drives.  Right now all of my images are on a fast internal HDD, my catalog, cache and previews are all on the M.2 drive.  On my previous computer I had them spread out on the SSD drives and didn't notice any benefit but I will try that again.  I figured the M.2 might be fast enough to do it all.

I checked the metadata setting and it says "Default" but I do have a copyright preset applied to all images.

I'll do some heavier testing over the next couple of days to see how things are working.

I also have a large 165,000 image catalog and write changes to xmp sidecar file.  I'm sure those don't help out.  I've had the entire catalog and backups go corrupt before and lost years of edits so I always write the sidecar files.

• 13. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

"You may have a problem with your pointing device. What are you using? Where are you hovering in the panel when making adjustments? You could also try holding down the Shift key and simply dragging the slider, which will give you more precision."

I'm using a logitech performance mx mouse and a logitech k800 keyboard.

• 14. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

To rule out (or find out) if the Loigtech mouse is causing this issue I suggest trying any USB mouse for a while and see what happens. You could also see if a driver update is available.

• 15. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                      TDMatthews

I was going to create a very similar thread to deal with my performance issues on my similarly spec'd machine - I bought it specifically for photo editing and I'm really disappointed - so I'll add to this thread too in hopes of getting some recommendations

I'm running the creative cloud photography bundle and have PS 2015.5 and LR 2015 installed - it says they are up to date.

Machine

Win 10 x64

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4000.0 MHz

Motherboard:   MSI Z170A GAMING M3 (MS-7978)

Memory:           65458 MB (DDR4-1300 DDR4 SDRAM)

Video Card:      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (4GB GDDR5)

Driver:              GeForce 372.70 released Aug 29, 2016

HDD:                SAMSUNG 850 SSD (benchmarking about  500MB/s read/write)

Displays:          1)DELL U2713HM @ 2560x1440  2) DELL P2414H @  1920x1080   3) DELL P2414H @  1920x1080

I've tried limiting LR to 1 monitor and disabling the others and that didn't help. I tried the disabling GPU and didn't notice a change but I'll run it like that a little longer. I render 1:1 previews on import also. Photomechanic is instantaneous. I know its using the jpg previews, but i don't care, it works! I love LR but I cant deal with this any more.

What's really strange to is that I had to RDP into my machine from another one today to make a couple tweaks, and the performance over RDP was waaaay faster than being on the machine locally - which makes me think driver issue, but my view drivers are also up to date

• 16. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                        Abambo Level 4

Drivers may be up to date, but they may be buggy or misconfigured. Not that I'm saying that I could handle a misconfiguration...

• 17. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                          AJarosz

Hi, I've got
                                          win10
                                          i7 3770K @4.2GHz with scythe cooling

16 GB DDR3

2 x SSD SAMSUNG 750 120 GB, and WD Blue 3GB as for backup

GeForce GTX 750Ti (Driver 369.09)

and I'm getting tired of Lightroom. Every update gets it slower and slower. I have tried turning on/off both GPU acceleration and smart prev. Now i'm on 2015.6 and it's a bit better than on the newest one but years from smooth. I have LR catalog on one SSD, RAW files on other. I optimize catalog very often, don't get it bigger than 10-15k images. I'm just getting tired of this. I can work in photoshop with larg files with no trouble, capture one works smooth. But no LR. Same on mac. I have mac mini with quad mac mini, 16GB RAM and 512 SSD. Untill last two updated (and sierra) I was happy how LR was running on both computer. Example: 3 days a week I'm doing reportage in club. Year ago I was able to simply process it in LR in 30-40 min. Now it's 2 hours. Waiting for every photo to load, to LR to react etc. Out of ideas how to make it usable again.

• 18. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think these discussions - and they have popped up several times a week for years - would improve a lot if everybody just acknowledged that there are screen redraw/update speed issues in Lightroom.

Lots of people say they have "no problems", but I would like to know if anyone truly has instant response from Lightroom in everything they do. By that I mean instant, such as you get in Bridge or Photoshop.

The thing is, this is highly relative and subjective. If you tend to work slowly and deliberately, one image at a time, these small delays won't bother you. Then you have "no problems".

But if you have a CF card with 500 shots, and the deadline is two hours away, those same small delays can drive you up the wall screaming. Then it's a big problem.

I have used Lightroom on several systems over the years, with very different configurations - from very high-end, high-performance desktop systems that should be particularly well configured for Lightroom, to ordinary everyday laptops. The funny thing is, the basic delays are always in the same order of magnitude.

And I have Capture One, which I signed up for just to see if the performance was as "lightning fast" as everyone says it is, compared to Lightroom. Well, it wasn't. It's pretty much the same.

So these discussions should be about the specific steps you can take to improve things, and what things you should try to avoid. After all, a half-second delay is vastly preferable over a two-second delay.

But saying there are no problems isn't helping, because everyone who is in a hurry can see that there is. I don't think it's Lightroom in particular. I think it's parametric editing as such, maybe because the app has to go back and forth and recalculate the original data continuously.

• 19. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                              AJarosz Level 1

As I said, I can compare time I spent over same think 3 times a weeks from almost 5 years. My routine is same - coming home, importing and getting my coffee and after that processing. I don't even play music in the background to be sure that LR is the only program running! That's just sick. My computer hardware is getting better from time to time, camera from 1,5 year is same - Nikon D810, but it gets me 3, maybe 4x more time than it was year before. I've tried I think everything what I've found. I have freshly installed system with LR, PS, ILL, Bridge, browsers, and a few necessary things. No games, no trashes. Every drive has at least 40% of free space - JPG and RAW not in use goes to my NAS. Different drivers, RAW cache 40-50GB,  GPU acc on and off, building prev, smart prevs on and off. I just don't want to use older ver of Lightroom than CC 2015.6 because of the fact that I use dehaze quite often.

• 20. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There have been some changes in preview building behavior. Make sure your preview size I. Your catalog preferences is set to the best for display option. There are some conditions in which it will omit building the correct preview sizes even if you have 1:1 built. Setting your standard previews to the right size seems to help lots f people with very slow library browsing.

• 21. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                  AJarosz Level 1

I have tried: not building prevs, building min prev, standar and 1:1. There are differences in performance between them, but none is satisfactory.

• 22. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

You don't mention the monitor model or if you're using dual-displays with LR. The new 4K and 5K monitors definitely will slow LR down and using an incompatible ICC Version 2 or LUT based monitor profile can do that as well. A little more info here might help to find a solution to your performance issue.

I'm running on a Windows 7 system with a 2.8GHz i7-860 quad core processor, SSD system drive WD Black Caviar HDD for photos, 12 GB memory, Canon 5D MKII 21 Mp raw image files, Nvidia Quadro 600 GPU, and a single 2560x1440 NEC PA272w monitor with SpectraView calibration. With GPU enabled everything is slightly faster in the Develop module except for the Adjustment Brush, Clone Tool, Noise Reduction controls, and Transform controls. WIth GPU disabled performance is acceptable with only the slightest lag in slider response. Preview building, Export, and all other operations are very similar to LR 5.

• 23. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                      AJarosz Level 1

I'm using two Eizo FS2331. FullHD. Right now I'm running LR on one only.

• 24. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

That's a 1920x1080 monitor–You shouldn't be having any major issues. Are you using a monitor calibrator and if so is the software set to create ICC Version 2 LUT based profiles?

• 25. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                          AJarosz Level 1

Yes, both monitors are calibrated, but I don't think that can cause any performance issues. In develop mode, when I press right arrow to go to next picture I have to wait on average 4-5 seconds for sliders to be active, then I have 1-2 seconds delay on sliders, when I click on black & white, it takes around 5 seconds for picture to become B&W. I just checked it. And so on, and so on...But as I said. I can compare time that I used to spend on processing same amount of RAW files about year ago and now and it is a huge difference. Now I have a bit better computer - I did not have a SSD for RAW files and changed windows 7 for windows 10. And yes, it is a fresh install. Maybe both combined, new system and new LR cause the performance issues, I don't know.
                                                          And sorry for my english, I don't use it quiet often lately.

• 26. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

AJarosz wrote:

Yes, both monitors are calibrated, but I don't think that can cause any performance issues. In develop mode,

I did not have a SSD for RAW files and changed windows 7 for windows 10.

We've had reports of Windows 10 upgrades hijacking the monitor profile and replacing it with an incompatible profile that causes issues with LR. Pleas try the procedure here to change your monitor's profile to sRGB:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-wh ether-its-corrupted/

If that fixes the issue you should recalibrate both monitors making sure the software preferences are set to create ICC Version 2, Matrix  and NOT ICC Version 4 or LUT type profiles.

• 27. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                              AJarosz Level 1

It was freshly installed windows10, on new SSD drive, not upgraded. So there is no old system files and both monitors were calibrated on windows 10. Anyway, I checked it, switched profile to sRGB. Did not affect performance at all.

• 28. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

OK, one down. Next I would try resetting your LR Preferences file. I suggest renaming the current file with .OLD (Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs.OLD) so you can easily restore it if there's no improvement:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

If no help I suggest updating the graphics driver from your current 369.09 to 375.70 here:

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

GeForce Game Ready Driver

Version: 375.70  WHQL
                                                                Release Date: 2016.10.28
                                                                Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit
                                                                Language: English (US)
                                                                • 29. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                                  AJarosz Level 1

Sorry for few days with no response, I was busy. So, I have newest drivers and deleted preferences file. Drivers did nothing, preference files had maybe slight effect, but with no effect on time I need to process pictures. I even started a new catalog. I have there only 250 pictures from yesterday. Imported yesterday evening with preset, 1:1 preview. It took me 2 hours today (!!) just to push right arrow on keyboard, rate picked pictures with 5 stars, crop about 25% of them and click Black & White white on few and adjust just exposure when needed.

• 30. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

AJarosz wrote:

Imported yesterday evening with preset, 1:1 preview. It took me 2 hours today (!!) just to push right arrow on keyboard, rate picked pictures with 5 stars, crop about 25% of them and click Black & White white on few and adjust just exposure when needed.

There's something going on that we haven't identified. We see this often in the forums–After numerous replies with a myriad of suggestions the cause of the issue is finally discovered. In many cases it's something simple that was ignored for that very reason. Try the below test procedure exactly as outlined....even if you feel it's too simplistic for your needs. We're trying to find out if even the most basic workflow is still slow on your system.

Import a similar group of image files 1) apply no presets on Import or in the Develop module, 2) build Standard Previews on Import, and only use 'Fit' view (no 1:1). Do your normal rating for 'Picks,' but in the Library module. After that's completed move to the Develop module and set the Filter bar to show just the Pick image files (5 stars as you say). Now do your Crop, and Exposure adjustment...with no other settings touched or applied. Does this speed up the processing?

Also makes sure Your 'Standard Preview Size shows the 'Auto' setting:

• 31. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                                      AJarosz Level 1

I'll try it, but I see one problem. I use on this particular preset (it's good for testing, because I use it 3 times a week on about same amount of photos) almost everything from the Develop module, so after adjusting exposure only and applying my preset on the very end I will have to go through all pictures to see the result. Tone curve is not flat, shadows and highlights are on very extreme values, so it's hard to predict how it's going to look like with no preset and just Exp set. Here are my catalog settings, it auto/medium/after on week for this specific catalog. As you can see, catalog is very small.

cat_settings.jpg

• 32. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

AJarosz wrote:

I'll try it, but I see one problem. I use on this particular preset (it's good for testing, because I use it 3 times a week on about same amount of photos) almost everything from the Develop module, so after adjusting exposure only and applying my preset on the very end I will have to go through all pictures to see the result.

I'm trying to determine if applying that preset and/or your actual editing workflow procedure is causing the slow down. This is strictly for "troubleshooting purposes" and not a suggested workflow procedure. If using the workflow procedure exactly as I suggested in reply #30 speeds things up for you then we can investigate the Develop preset.  I also suggest that you make sure your Default Develop Settings are set to Adobe install defaults. Go to menu Develop> Set Default Settings before starting this test. This will insure a "known State" for all Develop settings is established before importing any image files for the test.

• 33. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                                          AJarosz Level 1

Ok, get it. I'll do everything tomorrow and tell you the result.

• 34. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                                            AJarosz Level 1

It is much faster. I did exactly what you said. Restored Adobe Default Settings for develop, imported with standard preview. Playing with exposure and crop only give almost no delays. Hmm... Pasting preset to every photo one by one seems to be better than applying preset on import. That's odd and strange.

• 35. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

Let's examine the Develop preset you are using on Import.

1) Go menu Edit> Preferences> Presets tab

2) Click on 'Show Lightroom Presets Folder'

3) Open the subfolder Lightroom> Develop Presets> User Presets or Folder Name where that preset is located

4) Open the preset using Notepad or any other text editor and copy and paste the text in a reply here.

For example here's a preset I use to apply +.50 Exposure, -50 Highlights, +50 Shadows:

s = {

id = "0E54F9EA-C69F-46DA-B085-390D18180BE3",

internalName = "_.50 Exposure, 50-50",

title = "_+0.50 Exposure, -50 Highlights,+50 Shadows",

type = "Develop",

value = {

settings = {

Exposure2012 = 0.5,

Highlights2012 = -50,

ProcessVersion = "6.7",

Shadows2012 = 50,

},

uuid = "043F2143-EC1E-427B-BAA4-4AB602436ABD",

},

version = 0,

}

• 36. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                                                AJarosz Level 1

.Here is my preset:

s = {

id = "06A1B681-2A95-46BA-932E-FE70A5CE6A87",

internalName = "_preset 2016.10",

title = "_preset 2016.10",

type = "Develop",

value = {

settings = {

AutoLateralCA = 0,

Blacks2012 = -26,

BlueHue = 0,

BlueSaturation = 0,

CameraProfile = "Adobe Standard",

ChromaticAberrationB = 0,

ChromaticAberrationR = 0,

Clarity2012 = -9,

ColorNoiseReduction = 50,

ColorNoiseReductionDetail = 50,

ColorNoiseReductionSmoothness = 50,

Contrast2012 = 14,

ConvertToGrayscale = false,

CropConstrainToWarp = 0,

Defringe = 0,

DefringeGreenAmount = 0,

DefringeGreenHueHi = 60,

DefringeGreenHueLo = 40,

DefringePurpleAmount = 0,

DefringePurpleHueHi = 70,

DefringePurpleHueLo = 30,

Dehaze = 0,

EnableCalibration = true,

EnableColorAdjustments = true,

EnableDetail = true,

EnableEffects = true,

EnableLensCorrections = true,

EnableSplitToning = true,

Exposure2012 = 1.04,

GrainAmount = 0,

GrainFrequency = 50,

GrainSize = 25,

GreenHue = 0,

GreenSaturation = 0,

Highlights2012 = -72,

HueAdjustmentAqua = 0,

HueAdjustmentBlue = 0,

HueAdjustmentGreen = 0,

HueAdjustmentMagenta = 0,

HueAdjustmentOrange = 0,

HueAdjustmentPurple = 0,

HueAdjustmentRed = 0,

HueAdjustmentYellow = 0,

LensManualDistortionAmount = 0,

LensProfileEnable = 0,

LensProfileSetup = "LensDefaults",

LuminanceAdjustmentAqua = 0,

LuminanceAdjustmentBlue = 0,

LuminanceAdjustmentGreen = 0,

LuminanceAdjustmentMagenta = 0,

LuminanceAdjustmentOrange = 0,

LuminanceAdjustmentPurple = 0,

LuminanceAdjustmentRed = 0,

LuminanceAdjustmentYellow = 0,

LuminanceNoiseReductionContrast = 0,

LuminanceNoiseReductionDetail = 49,

LuminanceSmoothing = 20,

ParametricDarks = 0,

ParametricHighlightSplit = 75,

ParametricHighlights = 0,

ParametricLights = 0,

ParametricMidtoneSplit = 50,

ParametricShadowSplit = 25,

ParametricShadows = 0,

PostCropVignetteAmount = 0,

PostCropVignetteFeather = 50,

PostCropVignetteHighlightContrast = 0,

PostCropVignetteMidpoint = 50,

PostCropVignetteRoundness = 0,

PostCropVignetteStyle = 1,

ProcessVersion = "6.7",

RedHue = 3,

RedSaturation = 2,

Saturation = 13,

SaturationAdjustmentAqua = -18,

SaturationAdjustmentBlue = -29,

SaturationAdjustmentGreen = 0,

SaturationAdjustmentMagenta = -2,

SaturationAdjustmentOrange = 5,

SaturationAdjustmentPurple = -18,

SaturationAdjustmentRed = -18,

SaturationAdjustmentYellow = -1,

ShadowTint = 1,

Shadows2012 = 53,

SharpenDetail = 10,

SharpenEdgeMasking = 14,

SharpenRadius = 0.7,

Sharpness = 65,

SplitToningBalance = 63,

SplitToningHighlightHue = 53,

SplitToningHighlightSaturation = 5,

SplitToningShadowHue = 310,

SplitToningShadowSaturation = 9,

Temperature = 4450,

Tint = -4,

ToneCurveName2012 = "Custom",

ToneCurvePV2012 = {

0,

6,

45,

35,

190,

185,

255,

242,

},

ToneCurvePV2012Blue = {

0,

10,

255,

252,

},

ToneCurvePV2012Green = {

0,

4,

254,

255,

},

ToneCurvePV2012Red = {

0,

0,

255,

255,

},

Vibrance = -4,

VignetteAmount = 0,

VignetteMidpoint = 50,

WhiteBalance = "Custom",

Whites2012 = -59,

},

uuid = "21AF7004-2500-492D-BFCE-647C91B7A50B",

},

version = 0,

}

• 37. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

Wow...that's a lot to apply on Import! Do me a favor..can you upload the Develop preset .lrtemplate file to a file sharing site? That way I can test it on my system.

• 38. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??
                                                                                    AJarosz Level 1

Yes, a lot, that's true. Just because it's nothing ambitious. It's 2-3 hours of shooting, then as fast processing as you can. The light is almost identical on every photo, so the processing is same, except of some exposure adjustments and some crop from time to time. I don't work on that preset when I'm processing this job. When I have same free time, then I'm taking few photos, trying to change something and save the preset. Then I just import photos with ready preset, adjust exp and crop, export with logotype and that's it.

Anyway, here is link for the preset on my dropbox Dropbox - _HOS_kolor_1116.lrtemplate . And here is examle of photo with this preset, just show how it looks like.

DSC_0872.jpg

• 39. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues - What's New??

AJarosz wrote:

Yes, a lot, that's true. Just because it's nothing ambitious. It's 2-3 hours of shooting, then as fast processing as you can. The light is almost identical on every photo, so the processing is same, except of some exposure adjustments and some crop from time to time.

Below are the settings applied that are "different" from LR's 'Default Develop Settings.' Do you really want to apply all of these settings on Import?

I downloaded your Develop Preset and can confirm it makes my well-performing system very sluggish. Believe it or not the preset setting causing the most slow-down is Noise Reduction> Color = 50. Simply changing it to the LR Default value of 25 speeds everything up. Setting Noise Reduction> Luminance  from 20 to the LR Default 0 setting speeds things up even more, especially the Local controls. I also found that enabling the GPU helped a lot with the Crop tool and Basic panel control response, but slows down the Local controls a bit so it's a trade-off. When doing intensive Local control work turn it off and for Basic panel and cropping work turn it on. YMMV with your GPU.

SUGGESTED NR PANEL SETTINGS

After all other adjustments have been made you can Sync appropriate NR settings across like images for a given shoot  or use a preset. Just make sure it's the last step.

SOME MORE SUGGESTIONS

There was some additional improvement in LR's performance as I returned more controls to their 0 Defaults. I suggest not including Camera Calibration and perhaps Split Toning. Both use small values that have very little effect on the image and will also slow LR down a little.

The HSL controls don't seem to affect LR's performance that much, but are normally only used to correct specific subject color issues. Instead you may want to try one of the other Camera Profiles or even a ColorChecker Passport to create your own "custom" camera profiles. Just some suggestions.

Basic

WhiteBalance = "Custom"

Temperature = 4450

Tint = -4

Exposure2012 = 1.04

Contrast2012 = 14

Highlights2012 = -72

Shadows2012 = 53

Whites2012 = -59

Blacks2012 = -26

Clarity2012 = -9

Vibrance = -4

Saturation = 13

Tone Curve

ToneCurveName2012 = "Custom"

ToneCurvePV2012 =

0,

6,

45,

35,

190,

185,

255,

242,

ToneCurvePV2012Blue =

0,

10,

255,

252,

},

ToneCurvePV2012Green =

0,

4,

254,

255,

HSL Saturation

SaturationAdjustmentAqua = -18

SaturationAdjustmentBlue = -29

SaturationAdjustmentGreen = 0

SaturationAdjustmentMagenta = -2

SaturationAdjustmentOrange = 5

SaturationAdjustmentPurple = -18

SaturationAdjustmentRed = -18

SaturationAdjustmentYellow = -1

Split Toning

SplitToningHighlightHue = 53

SplitToningHighlightSaturation = 5

SplitToningBalance = 63

SplitToningShadowHue = 310

SplitToningShadowSaturation = 9

Detail

Sharpening

Sharpness = 65 (Deafault is 25

SharpenRadius = 0.7 (Default is 1.0)

SharpenDetail = 10 Default is 25)

SharpenEdgeMasking = 14 (Default is 0)

Noise Reduction

LuminanceNoiseReductionDetail = 49 (Default is 50)

LuminanceSmoothing = 20 (Default is 0)

ColorNoiseReduction = 50 (Default is 25)

Camera Calibration

ShadowTint = 1

RedHue = 3

RedSaturation = 2

1 2 Previous Next