4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2016 12:23 PM by trshaner

Lightroom 6 Transformation Issue

lightroomv27687214

Hi there,

i have figuered out an Issues (or not so good implemented feature) with my new Lightroom 6. If i try to transform verticaly an image with a narrow focal length Lightroom stretches the image in a strage way. Normaly the Image should be "tilted" but not streched like this:

Focal lenght 45mm (stretching):

lr_fail.jpg

Focal lenght 13mm (normal):

lr_ok.jpg

In my older Lightroom 4 this problem does not happend, so what is the issue here? Is there a bug with this "upright" feature, but in my case it's OFF?!

Best Regards

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 Transformation Issue
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looks like normal behavior. It appears the top screenshot is portrait orientation and the bottom landscape orientation. That's why they appear different. To reduce the stretched appearance use the Aspect slider.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 Transformation Issue
            lightroomv27687214 Level 1

Hi trshaner,

nope both images are shot in landscape orientation. I have this issue on all my images shot with a narrow focal length from 17mm to 200mm and higher on my Sigma lenses. I checked this with an other Nikkor lens and there is the same behaviour. I also figured out the higher the focal length is you got more "stretching". In my opinion this feature is sensless and the old lightrooms does not have such strange behaviour. Maybe this is owing to the upright feature but in my opinion it is not well implemented!

Regards

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 Transformation Issue
              Bob Somrak Level 5

If you had Lightroom CC2015.6.1 you could EASILY make them both look better with the new Transform Panel "Guide Upright Tool" and a little Aspect slider for the 45mm one. 

lr_fail.jpg

lr_ok.jpg

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 Transformation Issue
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can confirm the issue with longer focal length images. It's apparently due to the new Guided Upright feature changes, as you suspected. Below is an easy workaround that provide good results with longer focal length images. Start by applying 'Full' Upright Correction and then use the Transform controls to complete the corrections. Not sure why this is necessary, but it works very well.

Transform Issue with Long Focal Length.jpg