6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 1:10 PM by dj_paige

Plugin for creating collection sets?

pmr413

Does anyone know of a Lightroom plugin for creating collection sets?  What I'm looking for is a plugin that will allow me to create a sort of template for a collection set, and reuse that template when I need it.  For example, I shoot events primarily.  I create a collection set for my event that contains an album called "captures" (all my images), a smart album for picks, a smart album for rejects, and another smart album for "final selects" (picks that I rate 3 or more stars).  I'd like to automate this process so that I do not have to go through the tedious process of manually creating each one of these smart albums every time I shoot an event.  Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Plugin for creating collection sets?
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See the method in this article Workflow smart collections which has a sample catalogue. Instead of a plugin creating sets, you just change the target collection name.

• 2. Re: Plugin for creating collection sets?
            Bob Somrak Level 5

Wouldn't it be easier to have a uniquely named folder for each event and then have 3 FILTER presets for "picks", "rejects", and "3 or more stars/picks".  This would accomplish the same thing and eliminate collection bloat.

• 3. Re: Plugin for creating collection sets?
              pmr413 Level 1

Right.  That workflow is essentially what I'd like to automate via plugin.  If I were to download that catalog template, I'd have to go in and change every smart filter to match the name of the event on which I'm working (i.e. change all places where he used "current work" to "[my event name]").  Too tedious. 

• 4. Re: Plugin for creating collection sets?
                dj_paige Level 9

I don't think you understood Bob Somrak. You can create Filters in the Filter bar, and re-use them whenever you need them, you'd only have to create them once. You wouldn't have to update them for each new photo shoot.

• 5. Re: Plugin for creating collection sets?
                  pmr413 Level 1

HI @dj_paige. My comment was in reply to John's suggestion, not to Bob's.  But to Bob's point: yes, that is a good suggestion, and I'll use it as a temporary work-around.  It doesn't satisfy all of my needs, however.  That method can get cumbersome (IMO) with multiple develop variants.  It works great if one uses develop presets (e.g. "My Kodak Portra 400 Preset" and "My Fuji Velvia), but if there's no preset then different develop methods show up as "custom." Not very useful for sorting. 

For some additional background into what I'm trying to achieve: Capture One has a capability called "Projects".  It's similar to LR's "collection set," but any smart albums within a C1 project are limited in scope to that project only.  That makes it really easy to copy/paste a project under which I've created some smart albums, delete the photos within the new project, add new photos to the new project, and all my smart albums filter on the new photos.  Very slick.  Unfortunately, C1 doesn't have some of the other niceties that I like about LR, so I'm trying to mimic the functionality with a plugin.  LR doesn't have the functionality to bound searches to a collection set, though, so the method John pointed out would need to be used.  It would be extremely tedious, however, to go into each smart collection, and modify the text string upon which the smart album is filtering.

• 6. Re: Plugin for creating collection sets?
                    dj_paige Level 9

pmr413 wrote:

HI @dj_paige. My comment was in reply to John's suggestion, not to Bob's. But to Bob's point: yes, that is a good suggestion, and I'll use it as a temporary work-around. It doesn't satisfy all of my needs, however. That method can get cumbersome (IMO) with multiple develop variants. It works great if one uses develop presets (e.g. "My Kodak Portra 400 Preset" and "My Fuji Velvia), but if there's no preset then different develop methods show up as "custom." Not very useful for sorting.

Well fine, but that's really moving the goalposts, you didn't mention this requirement in your original problem statement.

For some additional background into what I'm trying to achieve: Capture One has a capability called "Projects".  It's similar to LR's "collection set," but any smart albums within a C1 project are limited in scope to that project only.  That makes it really easy to copy/paste a project under which I've created some smart albums, delete the photos within the new project, add new photos to the new project, and all my smart albums filter on the new photos.  Very slick.  Unfortunately, C1 doesn't have some of the other niceties that I like about LR, so I'm trying to mimic the functionality with a plugin.  LR doesn't have the functionality to bound searches to a collection set, though, so the method John pointed out would need to be used.  It would be extremely tedious, however, to go into each smart collection, and modify the text string upon which the smart album is filtering.

I'm thinking that keywords would work in place of the C1 Projects, rather than collection sets work. You can limit any filtering to a specific items you are looking for, including the keyword/Project.