21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 11:09 PM by DanieleCastellani

Images linked on project (wedding album)

DanieleCastellani

I just ask how is it possible to work with ID using a normal browsing file/images (like the old MiniBridge) when you have to insert many images in a project and you need to keep them tracked (easily see witch images you already insert in the project...like with red borders once that images has been placed in the project.

Am I the only one that think that will be a really helpful featuring we need on Indesing or there is another way to work to have the same functionally?

• 1. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Use Bridge, you can drag and drop from Bridge, from Explorer and from Finder. Nothing has changed without MiniBridge by using Bridge. Why do you have a problem with using Bridge?

• 2. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)
            DanieleCastellani Level 1

The problem using Bridge is the same: you cannot know if you already place an image in the project or not. And that you have to use two software. Is it insane to think that should work like this: Dgfoto Creating Professional Digital Wedding Album Part 1 - YouTube  (min. 4:45)?

Thanks for your answer!

• 3. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Do you know the Link Panel? There are ALL images and other links together.

• 4. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Actually no...I will check it...sorry...

• 5. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)
                  jane-e Adobe Community Professional

DanieleCastellani wrote:

Actually no...I will check it...sorry...

The Links panel will show you all of the images you have correctly placed in your document whether you chose File > Place or dragged from Bridge or Finder or Explorer. A yellow triangle means it needs to be updated, and red means it is missing. The lower half shows lots of info about the image. You will be delighted to have discovered it!

• 6. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)
                    BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Here's one more tip...

In Bridge, you will see a little link icon to the top right of an InDesign doc that has linked files:

Adobe Bridge CC 2015ss_001.png

Right click > Show Linked Files to display a Contents folder with just the linked files in it!

Adobe Bridge CC 2015ss_002.png

• 7. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Thanks BarbBinder, thanks jane-e.

It's seems I cannot explain me well. I would like to have a easy and way useful check on the images I've placed in a project. The link panel it's ok if you have to check the project at the end, not when you are working.

To explain what I would like to have I've posted a link of a video from another software: from min. 4:45 to min. 4:58 you can easily understand what I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) need.

Dgfoto Creating Professional Digital Wedding Album Part 1 - YouTube

• 8. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Or perhaps BarbBinder and I are not explaining ourselves well!

You can select all of your photos and multiple place them if you want to. Put them on the pasteboard if you are not ready to put them on pages.

Use the Links panel as you work. Don't wait until the end. It will show you what page the image is on. PB means Pasteboard.

There is not, as you guessed, a panel of images in InDesign as there is in the video for the proprietary software.

Another thought is to filter them in Bridge and drag them as you need them, page by page.

Step 1: Assign the images you will use with stars, let's say 5 stars

Step 2: Select to show only those with 5 stars in the Filter section

Step 3: Select the images you need for you first spread. Drag them into InDesign and drag-place them into your spread.

Step 4: Give them a different label to hide them so you know you have used them already (such as one star).

InDesign is not automatic. You start with a blank page and do everything. If you want automatic, use the other software. But the other software will limit what you can do if you want to be more creative. So it's a choice to make!

I hope one of these two methods will work for you.

• 9. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

jane-e. Thanks again for your patience and your explanations.

All your proposals are just workaround of a basilar function that a super evolved software born to "Page design and layout for print and digital publishing" simply MUST have.

I hope that some developer is reading and understanding how important is this function and I hope you, as Adobe Certified Instructor, will push to have an upgrade soon with this feature.

Many thanks again

• 10. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Hi Daniele,

I also wish that I could tell Adobe what I what to see in their software and they would redesign it to my own needs! There is a method for doing this, and it is through the feature request form. They say they won't respond, and usually they don't. But over the decades, I have gotten a handful of responses (with close to a thousand requests) and each time it's been within two hours. They absolutely read these. So be concise in what you are looking for. Posting on this forum is not the proper channel.

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

As I understand it, want you are looking for is as way to track which images have been placed into a project, is that correct? Or is there more? One thing InDesign has is a "window" that developers can write programs that work with InDesign to do what it can't. Some are for pay; some are free. Your subject line says something else. I am wondering if it gets rephrased and reposted maybe someone else can point you in the right direction. Some companies will write programs for you if you pay them. If they think there is a market, maybe they would do it and you could buy it from them.

I'm just throwing out ideas. Let me know if any fit!

~ Jane

• 11. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Hi jane-e.

I need a panel (in Indesign) were I can browsing trough the folders, choose the files in them and place them (the files) in the project. Once I've place the file in the project I need to know if the item has been placed in the open project or not (with a simple mark, like red borders on file)

I've just write on wishform. I hope the will read it.

Now I will try to check if there is some "software" from third part that can work.

THANK YOU! :-)

• 12. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

I don't understand why Bridge does not work for you.

You have the wrong assumption that images in InDesign are part of the InDesign file. They are not. They are linked as long as they are not embedded. And images should not be embedded, therefore they should not be part of an InDesign file.

You can't compare a not production safe wedding book software with a high end desktop publishing application. No professional user would like to have a program like those which you are presenting us.

• 13. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

I like your idea of knowing when it's been placed in the open project!

Adobe just removed mini-bridge because it was Flash-based. Just FYI, there was an awesome filter in Photoshop that was Flash-based. Adobe removed it, then worked on it and redid it so that it did not use Flash and put it back in. They just recently removed mini-bridge. So your request is timely if they are working on a non-Flash version—and, personally, I hope they are!

Some of the plug-in companies include:

Rorohiko

Recosoft

Marzware

Em Software

Check with them to see if they already have something that will work for you.

• 14. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Dear Willi...I never had the idea that images are or must be part of InDesign file...I perfectly understand why they must be linked!

Since I've just compare (a feature, not the whole software) of wedding book software and I've use it to work, I can just say that once you try and use a specific, smart and superhelpful feauture you just understand what you need to work in a smart way.

• 15. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Thanks jane-e.

That's mean you understand what I (and, I suppuse, a lot of other people) need!

I've write to Adobe to have this feature: hoping many other people will do the same after reading this post and the "software guru" of Indesing will give it to as asap.

Thanks

• 16. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)
                                        Luke Jennings Level 4

This is a bit off topic, but here is a tip (for Mac users) that will help you to determine which links in the links folder have been placed within the live area of your document, this might be useful if you have hundreds of long-named links and you need to insure all of them have been placed. Package your InDesign document to collect the links, select all the links in the collected links folder and go to File> change the label color (or right click), select the links again then drag and drop them into the original links folder and choose replace. The unused links will not have a label color.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Hi everyone!

Well, it seems I'm the only one with this problem. Starting working with ID without issue fixed is really frustrating.

Anyone has some good news?

Thanks

• 18. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)
                                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

(like the old MiniBridge) when you have to insert many images in a project and you need to keep them tracked (easily see witch images you already insert in the project...like with red borders once that images has been placed in the project.

Just to be clear— a marking border showing a placed file was never a feature of Mini Bridge right—I still use 2014 and don't see it?

Seems like a variation of Jane's solution in #8 would work.

So as you drag and drop from Bridge use Command-8 to apply an Approved label:

bridge3.png

• 19. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Thanks Rob.

It works. If it were automatic it would be perfect and really helpful...

• 20. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)
                                                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it were automatic it would be perfect and really helpful...

But what if one image was linked into multiple documents and you started moving those documents around? How would you sort out what document the link indicator was referring to?

• 21. Re: Images linked on project (wedding album)

Ok, you could duplicate the folder with the images.

I'm working on wedding albums, 30-40 pages, 90-120 images in one, two or three folders. If it were automatic for me will works simply great.

Thanks