6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2016 3:49 AM by sujinj66482630

cannot bring illustrator vector to indesign

sujinj66482630

Like this is what I want

http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-working-with-adobe-illustrator-vectors-in-i ndesign--cms-23231

Before, I could copy from illustrator and paste into InDesign the vectors and could edit the vector itself (color, shape, stroke.,everything!)

But now I can't pass vector stock into InDesign, it says 'cannot parse error' and this situation is causing me a lot of effort and time to work.

I tried everything but still it's not working! help me professionals!

• 1. Re: cannot bring illustrator vector to indesign
          Derek Cross Level 6

Try Placing the AI files.

• 2. Re: cannot bring illustrator vector to indesign
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Placed art is not editable directly in ID, but then I find pasting vectors from Illustrator inevitably causes more trouble when it's time to make updates to the .indd file so I still don't advocate doing it.

• 3. Re: cannot bring illustrator vector to indesign
              George_Salnik Adobe Community Professional

Time is money, more simple to edit full ai than "not-full" vector illustrations directly in indd.

• 4. Re: cannot bring illustrator vector to indesign
                sujinj66482630 Level 1

I tried, but I can't edit colors or shape in inDesign if I do that.

For example, I downloaded very complex vector stock from web, and I only need small part of it, also I have to change some shape or color according to other objects on my design, in that case it's much faster and easier to just copy and paste that part I need into indesign, and edit them while watching how it looks on my whole design.

FYI, I can't use 'edit orginal file' from link pannel as well, because my Mac says it's distributed from annonymous developer, so it ended up being much more time-consuming

• 5. Re: cannot bring illustrator vector to indesign
                  sujinj66482630 Level 1

Time-consuming problem is exactly why I'm trying to figure this out ㅠㅠ before, I can bring some vector stocks (arrow, banner, etc) into InDesign, and was easily able to change detailed shapes (subtle changes) but now I have to edit vector on illustrator fully, and have to see how it looks like with other objects.

If I want to change the composition or text a bit, the length and direction and every small things need to be changed, so I have to go on to illustrator, for those small changes. (even worse, I don't know how it will look on my design, I just have to assume and save & update & see & open illustrator & endless repeat...)

FYI, I can't use 'edit orginal file' from link pannel as well, because my Mac says it's distributed from annonymous developer, so it ended up being much more time-consuming

• 6. Re: cannot bring illustrator vector to indesign
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

sujinj66482630 wrote:

For example, I downloaded very complex vector stock from web, and I only need small part of it,

My strategy for this would be to copy the required objects into a new .ai file and place that. The advantage of doing the editing in AI is that you can place the same art many times, even in different documents, and update all in one place. You also don't risk accidentally losing some piece of the art when you copy/paste to ID (I've done that, and it went to press ).