7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2016 2:57 PM by PaulFBarrett

Sick of LR6.  Want to back to PS Elements

PaulFBarrett

I am fed up to the back teeth with LR's clumsy keyword interface.  It was so much easier to manage, group and apply keywords in PS Elements.

How do I migrate a Library Catalog over to PSE please?

• 1. Re: Sick of LR6.  Want to back to PS Elements
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PaulFBarrett wrote:

How do I migrate a Library Catalog over to PSE please?

You can't.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sick of LR6.  Want to back to PS Elements
            PaulFBarrett Level 1

Thanks, I suspected as much.

So my only option as I see it is to make sure all keywords are written to the files, then create a brand new catalog in PSE and import the keywords.  If that is doable then it is a small price to pay for never having to deal with LR6's impossible-to-work-with keywords 'management' system.

Is this the option I need (all my images are jpegs)?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Sick of LR6.  Want to back to PS Elements
              PaulFBarrett Level 1

Having experimented, I see how it works now and I am happy to create a brand new catalogue in PSE 11 then import the pics with their keywords and manage the 'imported keywords' group in PSE.

Just one more issue.  In the root of the LR Catalogue I selected all images and then chose the menu item to save metadata to the files.  That gives me the following screen:

The mass of keywords to the right shows all the keywords for all the photos in my catalogue (presumably).  All are starred which I assume means that some of the keywords apply to only some of the photos.  That's right isn't it?

So if I hit the continue button on the dialogue box the system will write the relevant keyword to each file in turn.  It won't write all the keywords to all the files?  I thought I'd ask before I commit the action on 20K files.

• 4. Re: Sick of LR6.  Want to back to PS Elements

The keywords are metadata that's saved within the documents themselves.

• 5. Re: Sick of LR6.  Want to back to PS Elements
                  PaulFBarrett Level 1

Thanks digitaldog.

Yes I get that but my question (before I go and set this running on 20,000 files!) is can I be certain of I select all files, that the keywords that get written to the files are only the specific ones for each file.

I am sorry if I am coming over like a klutz, but if I screw this up it will be an expensive mistake.

I will of course make sure my image files are backed up before I commit, so I have rollback ability.

• 6. Re: Sick of LR6.  Want to back to PS Elements

PaulFBarrett wrote:

Thanks digitaldog.

Yes I get that but my question (before I go and set this running on 20,000 files!) is can I be certain of I select all files, that the keywords that get written to the files are only the specific ones for each file.

IF you had the Auto Save XMP preference settings on with LR, keywords and more should be embedded. While in LR you can also select all in Grid, and type Command (control) S key to save this data too. Yes, back up (which might take some time IF you indeed updated all the files with new data), maybe import a few (first, middle, last) to confirm but it should work fine. Proprietary raw's will have sidecar files so that's necessary to hold onto and I suspect (Don't use Elements) it will transfer. DNG's like your JPEGs and TIFFs will have this data embedded into the container using the options above.

• 7. Re: Sick of LR6.  Want to back to PS Elements
                      PaulFBarrett Level 1

Perfect - thank you.

Paul