5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 6:18 AM by TomSchenck

fix problem with disappearing text and backspace makes it return

DeborahStewart

Houdini has got into my indesign program??

As I am typing text in a text box, suddenly all the text will disappear.

I wait in case it it taking a while to refresh but  text stays gone.

I have found if I hit backspace and delete the last character typed, all the text will reappear.

Sometimes if I retype that character that I just deleted ( or it can also be a space) , all the text disappears again

It is very disruptive of my work

I tried to search for an answer but could not find anything

Thanks very much for your input

Deborah

• 1. Re: fix problem with disappearing text and backspace makes it return
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

How did you set up your Paragraph Styles? Do you use Character Styles?

What are the Keep Options settings?

Is no break applied?

Important:

OS?

Version?

• 2. Re: fix problem with disappearing text and backspace makes it return
            jacksonh2226584 Level 1

Same issue here, and it is not related to styles in any way. Reset the preferences, as that was posted as a possible solution for people having this issue last year. That helped it for about a day, but now it's back again. Reset preferences again and this time it did nothing to help. I am really regretting setting up these documents in ID but I'm in too deep down and this issue is driving me crazy.

By the way, if you zoom in or out you will get your text back again but it will disappear again. Sometimes I'm zooming every 30 seconds to keep editing the text. Unworkable!

• 3. Re: fix problem with disappearing text and backspace makes it return
              CJC2000

I'm having this problem too. Usually after using indesign for a few hours. You can see the text box but no text. I found if you select the box, select your text too and wave it over the selected text box it appears again like magic!!

Having tonnes of issues with this new version. When the text is disappearing it's usually the same time the pages palette isn't refreshing and I have a bunch of white pages, my 'Space after' setting can't be used with the up and down arrows and can only be set by clicking, if you type more than 1 number in, the curser will jump back to the text box you are working in.

There are other problems with this version but those don't relate to this text problems!!

• 4. Re: fix problem with disappearing text and backspace makes it return
                Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for mentioning the issue.

Can you please share with me following information, for further investigation:

1. OS on which you are facing this issue.

2. Version of InDesign with which you are facing this issue?

3. If possible please share a sample document with which you are facing this issue with a screen recording at monsingh@adobe.com

It would be really great help

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

• 5. Re: fix problem with disappearing text and backspace makes it return
                  TomSchenck Level 1

Hi Monica,

I haven't used InDesign on a project for about a year. But know I'm back at it full time.

InDesign CC (2017) No updates available according to the Adobe CC app

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

There is not specific file or specific set steps to repeat this, everything on the page just disappears. It's not deleted, you just can't see it. Zooming and Panning don't refresh the view. Sometimes switching to the selection tool and clicking when the text frame is will refresh the view, Sometimes I need to close, save, and reopen the file.