7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2016 4:33 AM by Gutter-Fish

Photoshop VS After Effects

6bling Level 1

I'm a new student beginner in this gigantic field of Animation Creativity and Editing Software. I haven't touched a single button in any of the two MEGA SOFTWARES. I just need a kind suggestion from which software should I kick start my career ? I'm interested in making animation like in the movies and cartoons. Please guys I can trust on you to help me clear out the confusion of what these two Applications are designed for and which is a suitable one for me ?

• 1. Re: Photoshop VS After Effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can answer your qestion and that is pretty much the only honest reply anyone can give. Sorry, but to be blunt, your whole question revolves around giving birth to a child before even becoming pregnant. How do you expect anyone to answer things you have no clue about yourself? Kick start your career? I beg yOu! How is that even relevant when you don't know requirements of potential work you are going to do or equally requirements of job positions you will take up? It really comes down to that. Even on a technical side it's totally not a question of which programs to learn and use first. Most of us use several different programs for specific tasks all the time. So for what it's wirth, focus on actually learning the programs and learning techniques rather than getting locked into specific tools and bad habits. PS is good at some things, AE is good at others, but neither of them are just animation tools nor are either of them "editing tools". Again, you need to understand some basic concepts first and that first and foremost has nothing to do with what software you use, but rather having an idea about how to turn ideas into pictures. So for what it's worth: the only sane advice after my long rant is to just download the programs and get to it. Getting lost in hypothetical scenarios and what-ifs does you no good nor does asking broad, generic and vague questions on forums.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop VS After Effects
            6bling Level 1

Actually, I was just stating a simple question that should I as a rookie start off learning ANIMATION AND VIDEO EDITING techniques from PS or AE?. Which is the one more friendly and less complicated for amateurs?. I mean I heard that these two applications have a lot in common and you feel more comfortable with PS interface and terminologies than in AE! . Is that true? 

• 3. Re: Photoshop VS After Effects
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start with Premiere Elements, then Premiere Pro, and then move on to After Effects.

When you know what you want to do, then add the other applications that you will need.

• 4. Re: Photoshop VS After Effects
                Gutter-Fish Level 4

Your question was too simple.

If you know what you want to do and you know what's required to do it & you're just asking which to focus on more,  AE or PS I'd say AE as AE does more things than PS.  Phototshop is essentially a drawing and painting program which acts primarily as a supplement to the main players in the process when you need to draw or paint something.

If your question is what software should use if I want to make animated movies and cartoons then the answer is much more complicated.

The "animation" you see on TV or when you go to the movies is the product many different software and often thousands of people

each with specialized skills.  You will probably start off learning at least two softwares at the same time.  The question is what do you want to do exactly?

When you see a finished animation on the screen you are seeing the combined work of many people

who may have used many softwares to do their job.  The softwares I name are just some of the most popular and there's cross

compatability.

Concept artists (Photoshop, Zbrush, Corel Painter good ol paper and pencil)

Character and environments modelers (Maya, 3DSM, ZBrush, Houdini, C4D, Blender)

Texture artists (Photoshop, ZBrush, 3DCoat, Mari)

Riggers (Maya, 3DSM, Houdini, C4D, Blender)

Visual Effects artists (Maya, Houdini)

3D Animators (Maya, Houdini, 3DSM, C4D, Blender)

2D Animators (Lots of choices inclidung some very specialized products like Toon Boom.)

Compositors (Nuke, After Effects)

Post Effects (Nuke, After Effects)

Motion Graphics 2D & a tiny bit of 3D (After Effects)

Motion Graphics 3D (C4D, Maya)

Editors (Premier, Final Cut)

These are just a few.  I left stuff out & the softwares I listed are not necessarily limited to the tasks I assigned them to.

Your inability to decide which software to learn stems from your lack if understanding about what's involved in making the animations you see at the movies combined with not understanding what the softwares actually do.  For example, to learn "animation & video editing" you technically don't need to know Photoshop or After Effects at all as niether of them are for video editing and there may be better choices for animating depending on what type of animation you wish to learn.

So, you say want to learn animation & video editing?  Let's forget about video editing for the moment and ask you what type of animation do you want to do?  2D or 3D?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Photoshop VS After Effects
                  6bling Level 1

Thanks for the information pal I appreciate it. As far as I'm concerned I want to learn both 2D and 3D animation if possible on AE. Actually I'm learning courses from lynda.com so I needed a bit of help that would it be better to first get a little fimiliarised with PS before jumping onto AE.

• 6. Re: Photoshop VS After Effects
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Lynda is a great source of knowledge. I reccomend taking Deke McClelland's courses on Ps and Ai : Deke McClelland — Design, Photoshop: training, tutorials & online classes.on Vfx I recommend taking Mark Christiansen's Mark Christiansen — Video, After Effects: training, tutorials & online classes

• 7. Re: Photoshop VS After Effects
                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

Well I still can't answer your question because you're being somewhat vague about what it is you wish to achieve.  Maybe you're not quite sure yourself.   If animation is your dream then study animation. It does not matter what medium you choose.  It's like someone who wants to be a painter asking what kind of canvas and brush they should use.   It doesn't matter if you don't know how to paint.  Learn how to paint first and THEN decide what kind of canvas & brush you need..

It doesn't sound to me like you want to be an animator, it just sounds like you want to learn After Effects.  So learn it.  And if in your learning you find you need Photoshop...learn that.