5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2016 11:34 PM by mbirame

How do I adjust anchor point of composition (not layer)

mbirame

Hi folks,

I have a very long and skinny composition.  On one far corner of the comp, I am trying to rotate a layer on the x axis but I want to rotate it straight back in relationship to itself and NOT in relation to the center point of the long and skinny comp.  I changed the anchor point of the layer itself to be the center of the layer, but it is still tilting toward the center of the comp:

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 2.14.33 PM.png

How do I change the anchor point of the comp itself?  I tried changing the "anchor" position in the 3x3 grid in the composition settings panel, but that seemed to have no effect.  Thank you!

• 1. Re: How do I adjust anchor point of composition (not layer)
          mbirame Level 1

So I did just now learn about nesting compositions, and I am able to achieve what I'm wanting to do by just having a comp for each small part and then bringing all the individual compositions into the long and skinny final output....however, I'm going to leave this question up because I'm still curious about how to change the anchor point of a larger composition.  Thanks!

• 2. Re: How do I adjust anchor point of composition (not layer)
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A composition does not have a native anchor point. A layer  placed in a composition has an anchor point and a composition can be a layer.

Does that make sense?

• 3. Re: How do I adjust anchor point of composition (not layer)
              mbirame Level 1

It makes sense, but it surprises me. So the vanishing point of a 3D object will always be in the center of the composition?

• 4. Re: How do I adjust anchor point of composition (not layer)
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mbirame wrote:

It makes sense, but it surprises me. So the vanishing point of a 3D object will always be in the center of the composition?

No... Just like in real life, perspective is controlled by camera position, the angle of view is controlled by focal length, and the center of view is always on an infinite perpendicular line from the center of the film plane (the point of interest). The human eye does not have tilt shift, like view cameras and neither does the AE camera (or any camera I've ever seen in a 3D app, so you can't control perspective by winning the film plane or by shifting the center of the lens like you can with a view camera or a tilt shift lens.

The vanishing point is where parallel lines converge and that depends on the angle of the parallel lines in relation to the camera.

I hope that makes sense.

Here's the thing about nesting smaller compositions in a larger one. If you put 3D layers in your nested comps and collapse transformations then the camera in the main comp will interact with the 3D layers in the nested comps. If you do not collapse transformations there will be no perspective shift as the camera moves in the main comp. If you do not collapse transformations and you make the pre-comps 3D you will just be arranging flat cards in the main comp 3D space.

One more thing. Only the Active Camera view has perspective. All custom views are orthographic - no perspective. This

It will take a minute but you should be able to wrap your head around that. Here's a comp showing how collapse transformations world. Feel free to play around with it. Collapse Transformations.aep (note: your browser may add a .txt extension to the app file.- just delete it)

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 3.18.19 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I adjust anchor point of composition (not layer)
                  mbirame Level 1

Thank you, Rick.  I will spend some time with this .aep project to more fully understand.