6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 3:52 AM by getho

Big 4k monitors to replace 3 little ones

getho Level 1

I currently have a Dell 2560x 1440, an HP hd and a little 1300x768 monitor.  Ive seen mention that might resolutions from one graphics card is not a great idea.  My Dell is on its way out, so thinking about replacing the lot.  I don't want to be dealing with a tiny interface, 32 inches would seem to me to be a bare minimum. I also don't have limitless pockets, so nec is probably not an option. Any good big monitors you good folk could recommend?

• 1. Re: Big 4k monitors to replace 3 little ones
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

you may want to see what monitors fit your needs and price price range, and then check them against monitor review sites. some websites have a list of recommended monitors too, like https://pcmonitors.info, they also have forums https://pcmonitors.info/discussion-forum/ , Toms Hardware - 2016 Monitor Reviews, Best monitors of 2016 - CNET, and others.

some factors when choosing a monitor are color accuracy (some with built in calibration), color spaces, HDR, signal connections, resolution, and aspect ratio. depending on what you want displayed on the screen, an ultra-wide 21:9 aspect ratio might better simulate two screens side by side and/or handle a single large window of premiere better. you may want to avoid curved monitors as they mess with perspective and many don't like it for editing. i think most hdr and rec 2020 pc monitors are still months away from being released, and would require a nvidia gtx 1000 series or amd rx series gpu.

here is a video LG put on youtube showing the extra space used with premiere and other programs.

LG Ultrawide 21:9 Monitor - YouTube

• 2. Re: Big 4k monitors to replace 3 little ones
            JFPhoton Level 3

I am currently using TWO 27 inch 2560x1440p IPS monitors running at 60fps each off my LAPTOP NVidia GPU. In addition, the native 1080p 17inch screen is running also.....all with no problem. One monitor is hooked up to an HDMI 1.4 port and the other to a mini display port 1.0 The 27 " inch size seems plenty big to me as an up close monitor.

To me...... the pixel density of 1440p at 27 inches is fantastic....you cannot see the pixels....they are too small....it LOOKS like 4K, with less strain on the computer.

Maybe a quality 4K television would be an option....would THAT be where your work will be seen,or, will it be strictly on the internet ?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Big 4k monitors to replace 3 little ones
              JEShort01 Level 4

getho,

I highly recommend LG's 31" 4K monitor, model # 31MU97-B.

The only significant downside that I have experienced is it does require a DisplayPort cable to get full 4096 x 2160 x 60Hz and it seems fussy about long cables unless you add a Displayport repeater in the middle. Much less significant, sometimes only half of the display comes up after "sleeping" and I need to fiddle a bit to wake the whole display up. Once it is up and going is works great, looks great, and never missed a beat. I've used it with GTX Titan, GTX 980 Ti, and GTX 1080 cards.

Color is fantastic, and the 31" size allows for some applications with small fonts to be readable (barely).

I never thought that I could live without multiple monitors, but there are lots of pixels here -- essentially 4 HD monitors worth (2 high x 2 wide).

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Big 4k monitors to replace 3 little ones
                mikeklar Level 1

Interesting to read about someone who actually has this monitor.

I've been drooling at the thought of having one large monitor, but for two issues, having bought a 4K 24 inch monitor about a year ago and the other the need for being able to watch video clips at full screen while editing without having to constantly loose the working realestate when doing so.  Also, since my work includes fine art the need for full RGB display capability is too expensive the larger the monitor.

For example; I have two NEC monitors 27 inch and 24 inch, both are capable of full RGB color display.  In US dollars these cost me a little over $2K.  An equivalent monitor that's 36 inches is well over $3K.

Of course there is a donwside to multiple monitors, i.e. cables and quite possibly a greater load on the GPU.

_DSC5988.jpg

Took the above shot while rendering...

Cheers

• 5. Re: Big 4k monitors to replace 3 little ones
                  getho Level 1

Thanks folks

My main monitor is definitely on the fritz. Started up to a green line in the middle of the display yesterday.

I agree I like the pixel density of it: 27" 2550x1440.  That lg looks good but worried that itll be too small.  Currently have effectively 27+24 side by side. Would love a curved 47 inch display. Lol.  I'm wondering if I should get a cheapish 40" TV as a reference monitor that I can attach to the wall behind my desk and one of those LG 21x9 curved 34 inch monitors. Not sure what the colour specs are like though.  Or maybe I should splurge on one NEC monitor where I do colour critical work and have a big cheap 4k for pallets. Choices...

• 6. Re: Big 4k monitors to replace 3 little ones
                    getho Level 1

Just looked again at the 31MU97-B

One of the few big screens to have decent color by the looks of it, that's not $2000 aud