4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 6:04 AM by dj_paige

How do I import Sony A6300 raw files into LR 5.7.1

Update to Lightroom 4

I use Lightroom version 5.7.1.  I'm sailing the Pacific in my boat and can almost never get good internet, so I'm totally averse to the Creative Cloud concept.  I just bought a Sony Alpha 6300 camera and LR doesn't recognize Sony's .ARW raw format.  How can I import and edit these files?  Does LR require the Camera Raw or DNG converter plugins?  If so, how do I get them and how do I implement them.  I can't seem to find either on Adobe's site in relation to LR5.

• 1. Re: How do I import Sony A6300 raw files into LR 5.7.1
          dj_paige Level 9

This has nothing to do with Creative Cloud.

Your camera is too new, Lightroom 5.7.1 does not have the ability to recognize new camera's raw format.

You can purchase Lightroom 6.5 or later, and import the RAW into Lightroom 6.5 or later; or you can use the free Adobe DNG Converter version 9.5 or later and import the DNGs into Lightroom 5.7.1

• 2. Re: How do I import Sony A6300 raw files into LR 5.7.1
            Abambo Level 4

Easiest and fastest is to convert your files to DNG using the free DNG converter.

The other option is to by an upgrade to LR6 witch is the current perpetual license LR in line with LR CC, the creative cloud version of LR. Only features that have been added to LR CC after the initial release of LR 6 are not available to LR 6 users. Camera Raw file formats are still updated and supported for new cameras.

The subscription model requires you to have an internet connection every 90 days. But it may be, that this could be a problem in your situation. I cannot judge that, but I suppose, that there is a possibility for you to access internet for other uses during that time period.

• 3. Re: How do I import Sony A6300 raw files into LR 5.7.1
              Update to Lightroom 4 Level 1

dj_paige's answer was, in one way, better than the instruction I eventually got through Adobe chat when I needed help looking for the 5 to 6 upgrade package.  At least he/she recommended going straight to version 6.5 or later.  Chat got me to the version 6 upgrade, but failed to note that the Sony A6300 wasn't supported by 6.0.  So, I went through all the download and set up only to find that my camera still wasn't supported.  Another session on chat plus another session downloading got me the latest upgrades.  I just can't believe that buying the upgrade from 5 to 6 didn't include the upgrades.  The chat agent should have at least told me that I'd have to go ahead and do them separately.

• 4. Re: How do I import Sony A6300 raw files into LR 5.7.1
                dj_paige Level 9

I just can't believe that buying the upgrade from 5 to 6 didn't include the upgrades.

If you have purchased LR 6, you do indeed have the ability to upgrade to Lightroom 6.5 FOR FREE. There are two seperate downloads and installations to wind up with Lightroom 6.5, first you download and install 6.0; then you downloadd the 6.5 update and install.