6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 4:41 PM by freethedata

Backup PDF files to iTunes

freethedata Level 1

Beware!  PDF files created in Adobe reader for IPhone/Pad and moved to folders created in the Adobe reader App WILL NOT be backed up and restored! Only files NOT IN FOLDERS will be backed up and restored.  This is not mentioned in your discussion "How to backup and restore PDF documents...using iTunes".  Nor is it mentioned in Apple Forums or Support pages.  Nor does Apple Customer Support assume any responsibility for updating their support pages to warn of this.  So do not find out about this flaw only after finding that your PDF files are not restored! If you try to save the folders found in the Apps section of the Backup menu to the computer, you get the error message " could not be saved because you do hot have permission...", so that does not work.  So does anyone know of a way to back up PDF files stored in folders without first removing them from their folders?

• 1. Re: Backup PDF files to iTunes
          sb116 Adobe Employee

Hi freethedata

I suggest you to please refer to the document below:

How to back up and restore PDF documents on iPad/iPhone using iTunes 

Also please let me know if you still face issues with it.

Regards,

Supriya

• 2. Re: Backup PDF files to iTunes
            freethedata Level 1

Yes, I read that document.  The whole topic of my post was that document does NOT warn that PDF files saved in user created folders will not be copied and restored by iTunes backup -- only files saved in the "Local" folder will be backed up and restored.  Unlocking the device and voiding the Apple warranty is not the remedy for this problem!

My solution so far is to make a duplicate for PDF files saved to sub-folders and save the duplicates in the "Local" folder.  But this doubles the storage space used by the PDF files.  A solution that does not waste storage is needed.

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Backup PDF files to iTunes
              MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi freethedata,

Although this is an old forum thread, I have new information regarding the problem that you have encountered.  So I wanted to follow up.

Are you using iTunes for Windows?  If so, please take a look at my answer (reply #7) in the following forum thread.

Backing up iPad to desktop

If you see the error dialog with the message "...you do not have permission...", please make sure that your iPad/iPhone is not asleep or locked, while files and folders are being transferred to your computer.

Additionally, please select destination that you have write permission on your computer.  Typically, your "Documents" folder is the safe choice, if you do not have administrator rights on your computer.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Backup PDF files to iTunes
                freethedata Level 1

Thanks for reading my post, but you remedies do not address my problem.  What I am complaining about is that when one backs up PDF files that are in FOLDERS in the Adobe app to iTunes on a PC, those files are not backed up -- only files that are NOT in folders are backed up.  Nowhere is the user warned about this on the Adobe website.

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: Backup PDF files to iTunes
                  MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

The following is the new section that was recently added to the FAQ document: How to back up and restore PDF documents on iPad/iPhone using iTunes

Attention iTunes for Windows users!
                  Apple's iTunes for Windows has a defect where drag & dropping folders from the Adobe Acrobat Documents area in iTunes to any location (including Desktop) on a Windows computer does not copy the folders.  A workaround is to select files and folders in the Adobe Acrobat Documents area and click the Save to... button as described in Steps 7 and 8 above.
                  • 6. Re: Backup PDF files to iTunes
                    freethedata Level 1

Not only are these files in folders not saved when dragging and dropping, they are not saved in the iTunes backup file, so they do not exist in the backup so they can be restored.  They are ONLY saved when one takes the additional step of highlighting the files then clicking on the button "save to". Nowhere in Adobe's instructions is one warned that files in folders are not routinely backed up unless one takes the ADDITIONAL step of highlighting and saving the files to the PC.  One only finds out that this additional procedure is required when the files are not restored.

Sent from my iPad

1 person found this helpful