13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2017 10:51 AM by Jonathan Millard

LRCC HDR Problem

Jonathan Millard

Hello,

I have just signed up to CC and loaded the new version on my mac a week ago.  I went from LR5 (which I still have loaded).

I can't get the HDR tool to produce a HDR.

I have done a few a high dynamic range scenes and taken three pictures for each scene at EV -2, 0, +2. I select all images, right click, merge, HDR, uncheck autotone, check autoalign, Merge.  LR goes through the process of 'blending' and the working bar top left moves, then LR produces a -HDR.dng file - although the dng is exactly the same exposure, histogram, looks etc as the EV0 image. Interesting the dng file is cropped slightly which i presume is the autoalign working, so it is doing something.

I've tried this with a few different examples and they all do the same thing. Turned on off etc!

I had LR enfuse loaded on LR5, this has automatically loaded onto CC, and that still works ok.

I will follow with some screen shots for info.  Please help!

Thanks

Jon

• 2. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you include in screen shots the histogram and Basic settings for each please.

Like this:

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 10.01.55 AM.png

• 3. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
            Jonathan Millard Level 1

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for replying, yes no problem, screen shots below...

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 22.32.36.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 22.32.53.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 22.33.07.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 22.33.21.png

• 4. Re: LRCC HDR Problem

Interesting indeed... the first file has an unusual spiking histogram...... but why this would be happening is a puzzle to me.

Perhaps now you could Dropbox the files to see if we get the same result on other systems....

thanks

• 5. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
                Jonathan Millard Level 1

Hi Geoff,  sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away for a few days.

I have put files for two HDR examples in the link below.  One set has the strange spiking in the histogram, the other set do not. Neither worked on the LR HDR.

I'm not sure I've got the permissions right on the link?  If you can't access it could you send me your email and I can send you a link with the right permissions then.

Thank you

Jon

Dropbox - 2016-09-15 HDR Test

• 6. Re: LRCC HDR Problem

Thanks, I have them and will have a play soon….

• 7. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
                    Jonathan Millard Level 1

Hi Geoff, a polite reminder, any joy with these files your end?

For info I upgraded to the latest version of LR released a week or so ago but sadly no help with the HDR tool.

Thanks

Jon

• 8. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
                      Jonathan Millard Level 1

Hello, can anyone from Adobe help me on this problem please?

I started this thread a while ago and I still can't get the HDR tool to work at all.  I keep updating to the bug fix update releases but to no avail.

I'm mainly upgraded to CC to get the HDR and the Pano tools.  I think the Pano tool is amazing but at the moment I'm missing 50% of the value I thought I was getting.

Would appreciate any help please.

Thank you

Jonathan

• 9. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
                        Bob Somrak Level 6

Your 6 files merged to two files fine.  With autotone OFF most Lr HDR look close to the middle exposure so that is what you are probably seeing so I don't see this as a Lightroom problem.   The main benefit I see is that you have more detail in the highlights and less noise in the shadows after using HDR.  I wish Adobe would increase the range of Highlight/Shadow sliders for HDR photos but I doubt that will happen.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
                          SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Hi Jonathan,

I think to get the most out of it, you're gonna need more photos in the bracket or a larger range. You're not really including a lot more than Lightroom can extract from single file, which is why the HDR looks so close to the middle one. It's definitely working, but as it uses Lightroom's normal develop tools, it's not gonna give you a surrealist look to a HDR, it's far more natural looking.

Try 5 or 7 at 2 stop intervals and see how you get on. At least that way you're creating an additional 10-15 extras stops of range for the HDR.

I've tried the files and even with really extreme edits, copying and pasting to the centre image results in an almost similar photo-it's maybe slightly smoother in the DNG, but not enough to warrant making the HDR file in the file place.

Sean

• 11. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
                            SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Hi Bob,

You're probably already doing this, but you can get additional Highlights and Shadows by dragging the Grad filter over the whole image and using its sliders for more effect.

Sean

• 12. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
                              Bob Somrak Level 6

Thanks for the reminder and I do use that technique

• 13. Re: LRCC HDR Problem
                                Jonathan Millard Level 1

Bob, Sean,

Thank you very much. I genuinely thought it wasn't working. I'm amazed how subtle it is.  I looked at the resultant DNG a few times previously; the tone curve and image looked so similar i was convinced it wasn't worked.  I have looked back at a few examples and I can now see the subtle advantages in the shadows and in the highlights.  I will work on the suggestions above.  Never thought of the grad filter over the whole image, will definitely try that as well.  It's nice to have my mind at ease, just need to work on improving what I have.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Jonathan