7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 11:09 AM by Ed Roseman

One text frame to control others

Ed Roseman Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm using InDesign CS 5.5. It's been long enough since I last did this that I don't remember what the feature I'm trying to use is called, so I can't look up how to do it without wading through the entire text section of the Help. I figured someone could answer this question quite quickly.

For watermarking purposes, I want to have one text frame that says, "This PDF is from the library of ________" and then I insert the person's name. I want to do that in one text frame, and have other text frames scattered around the document that will then automatically update with the same text. Can anyone tell me what this is called, and how to do it?

Much obliged ahead of time,

Edly

• 1. Re: One text frame to control others
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The feature is called Edit > Place and Link. The first frame you create is the "parent," then you can place the same text in other locations. When the text is changed on the parent, you will see a warning triangle on the corner of the linked "children." Clicking the link on one of these frame updates, or you can update in the Links panel.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: One text frame to control others
            Ed Roseman Level 1

Hi Steve,

Hey, do you ever sleep? ;-) You answer so many questions here!! Thanks for answering. That's it. But isn't there some way of making the children all update automatically? I somehow did it in another file such that I paste in the person's name and then just Save, and the children all update automatically. By the way, at least in ID CS 5.5, clicking the warning triangle in the links panel works, but clicking the link on one of the children doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

• 3. Re: One text frame to control others
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's an example. The top line is the parent.

InDesign CC104.png

I edited the parent and the children are out-of-date:

InDesign CC105.png

You can update all children by using the Links panel. Notice what the tool tips says: Option/Alt-clicking the Update icon updates all.

InDesign CC106.png

• 4. Re: One text frame to control others
                Ed Roseman Level 1

Great example. How did you know that "The Wizard of Steve" is one of my wife's favorite movies?

But again, there must be some way of having the children update automatically without clicking the Update icon, because that happens in my other file. I'm making such a fuss about this because I have a series of macros that hand off between Filemaker Pro (to get the person's name), Automator, and QuicKeys.  FMP hands the person's name to QK. QK clicks in the Parent text box with ID's text tool, command-down arrows to get to the end of the Parent text box, pastes in the person's name, Deselects All by hitting Command-Shift A, and then saves the file, then exports it. No clicking the Update icon necessary. But when I try to do the same thing manually in this new file I'm working on, it doesn't work. I'd love not to have to add to the macro to open the Links window and click on the Update icon; it's already long and convoluted and error prone enough!

Do you have anything for me in your black bag, oh great and powerful wizard?

• 5. Re: One text frame to control others
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Ed,

you could work with a Text Variable, that you could update.
                  But maybe even that would not be instantaneously. Could be, that you have to save the document after changing the contents and/or go to a different spread and come back to see the update.

However, what will work is a story, that is threaded through several text frames and that consists of one single table where you define a table header for one table row and at least one body row (empty, no strokes, minimum height) per text frame. If you update the header, the header will be reflected instantaneously all over the threaded text frames.

Regards,
                  Uwe

• 6. Re: One text frame to control others
                    Ed Roseman Level 1

Thank you, Uwe. I found the reason why Saving worked in one file and not the new one. In the Links panel, Control-clicking on the Parent shows "Linked Story Options…" which in turn brings up a dialog with the option to "Update Link When Saving Document." That is the magic I needed.

• 7. Re: One text frame to control others
                      Ed Roseman Level 1

Thank you, Steve. As I wrote to Uwe, I found the reason why Saving worked in one file and not the new one. In the Links panel, Control-clicking on the Parent shows "Linked Story Options…" which in turn brings up a dialog with the option to "Update Link When Saving Document." That is the magic I needed.

Thank you both for your help!

Edly