6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 4:25 AM by invitro01

InDesign fails to find already synced fonts on first start after boot

M_Hasteley Level 1

Anyone else got this - very frustrating!

Boot up computer, then InDesign, open a document using a typekit font (Proxima Nova and Anzo Sans seem to be particularly prone to this - but possibly just because I use them a lot!) and InDesign throws up the Find Font dialogue - clicking the 'sync' button doesn't do anything - just spinning sync wheels which try and fail. Looking for the font in the font list proper - they're also missing. Quitting the CC app and starting it again doesn't work. The only way to fix it is to shut down InDesign and then open it again.

• 1. Re: InDesign fails to find already synced fonts on first start after boot
          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

That's a little strange, but to troubleshoot, is it the same in all applications? Once you download the TypeKit fonts, you can use them in any application, even the dreaded Microsoft ones.

So that we can answer better, try launching Illustrator or Photoshop or even Word first and see if it happens.

What if you give your computer another minute or two and then launch InDesign. Does it still happen?

What if you see the fonts aren't there and then wait a couple of minutes?

Does it only happen when you first boot up your computer?

• 2. Re: InDesign fails to find already synced fonts on first start after boot
            M_Hasteley Level 1

Right - so Illustrator / Photoshop / Office - everything else is fine, they can see all the fonts and use them right from boot up.

Doesn't (seem) to happen if you give it a full minute before launching the InDesign application (but this is a 32GB / Skylake 6700 / M.2 500GB SSD set up - it will load Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign/Bridge concurrently within about 15 seconds if you ask it to).

Doesn't seem to happen if you log off and back on to Windows - rather than rebooting.

And - interestingly, it's not even on all Typekit fonts. There's even one weight of Proxima (Light Italic) which is available in InDesign, even though the rest of the fonts missing. Have Tisa installed and that's just fine too.

• 3. Re: InDesign fails to find already synced fonts on first start after boot
              Ben, Typekit Support Adobe Employee

Hi Matthew,

I'm sorry you ran into trouble here. It sounds like InDesign is just taking a bit longer to load everything up. Also, when you reboot the computer, the CC app has to resync the fonts once it launches. It's possible that some of the fonts are held in the font cache for a bit which might explain why some are there immediately.

I know this doesn't solve the issue but I hope it sheds some light on what's going on. Let me know if you have any further questions and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 4. Re: InDesign fails to find already synced fonts on first start after boot
                M_Hasteley Level 1

Hi Ben,

So yeah... that sort of makes sense - but you'd think if it was a cache issue, it would be reflected by the most recently used typekit fonts being the accessible ones and the least used being the ones that 'drop off'. But that doesn't seem to happen - it seems to affect a specific subset of the proxima font. (And I have tried removing them from the account and readding them to see if that affected it - no dice.)

I did wonder if it's literally the computer booting InDesign faster than Creative Cloud has time to load and log in, if a work around would be to prioritise the CC desktop app - do you know if there's any facility to do this in Windows 10?

But yeah, the core problem is that it's not like you can just wait for the CC app to load and then sync the typekit fonts, actively or transparently - like the rest of the suit does. InDesign still can't sync the problem fonts after the fact...

Anyway, separately one of Adobe tech staff have been in touch and I've done a bit more testing for him - see note below, in case they help!

So steps are:

1. Log into Windows
                2. Start InDesign straight away
                3. Open a doc with Proxima Nova typekit font
                4. You get thrown the standard Find Font start up warning dialogue - which lists the Proxima Nova fonts as missing.
                5. Click 'Turn on Typekit' if Creative Cloud app is still starting (but sometimes it'll have started already - doesn't make a difference if the error occurs - like I say if you wait for a whole minute you don't get the error).
                6. Click sync. It takes an age to sync, gives you affirmative ticks eventually. But the font remains unavailable. From both the elective find font dialogue (error message "Unable to sync fonts. Check Creative Cloud desktop applications for details"), and from just the font selection list on the taskbar. There's no error message in the CC desktop app under the assets / fonts tab.
                7. Only way to get them to pop up is to restart InDesign.

Done a bit more testing:

• Resetting preferences doesn't affect it - problem still occurs.
                • No external plugins.
                • Happens whether you restart or just log out/log back into windows (I was wrong about this being a restart-only problem earlier - have been able to reproduce now).
                • If you leave it for long enough before starting InDesign the error doesn't occur (but that sort of misses the point of having an extremely quick workstation in the first place!)
                • It doesn't help if you open InDesign straight away but wait to open a file with Proxima, it'll still exhibit the problem behaviour.
                • Doesn't affect all typekit fonts. Tisa, for instance, always seems be fine. Even some weights of Proxima (usually Light Italic) are fine.

Sample doc attached.

Thanks, all the best,

Matt

• 5. Re: InDesign fails to find already synced fonts on first start after boot
                  Ben, Typekit Support Adobe Employee

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the followup and all this info, it's definitely helpful. Unfortunately, I don't know that we'll be able to find a fix for this immediately due to so many moving parts (InDesign, CC app, Typekit, etc.)

That being said, I'm going to share this with the team. If we start to see patterns it makes it much easier to figure out what is causing the issue. We'll need to gather more info over time to nail this one down.

I hope the workarounds you've found will work in the meantime. Thanks again for your help here.

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 6. Re: InDesign fails to find already synced fonts on first start after boot
                    invitro01 Level 1

I have very similar problem. I'm using Indesign with a document with 2 Typekit fonts. I open the indesign and the document and the fonts are missing o keeps synching for ever.

Solution: I have to close the Indesign and open it again and then it works!

Hope you can find the problem and the solution. It's really frustrating!