10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 5:31 PM by Migintosh

Duplicate and rotate each page in doc

shandmedia Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to duplicate and rotate every page in an ID doc.

I have 50 odd pages.

Each page needs to be duplicated onto the following page and rotated 180deg.

Any help appreciated...

• 1. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Each page needs to be duplicated onto the following page and rotated 180deg.

1. You can Alt/Opt drag a page in the Pages panel to duplicate it.
          2. To rotate the contents 180˙:
          • Select the contents of the new page
          • Pick the center reference point in the proxy
          • Pick -180˙ from the Rotation Angle menu or click on of the Rotate handles twice.

InDesign CCss_003.png

• 2. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rotate every page in an ID doc.

You can rotate the page items as Barb suggests via select all and transform, or you can rotate the actual page via the page tool. When you rotate the pages they stay right reading in the layout but rotate in the pages panel and will be rotated when you export or print. Rotating the page items vs. the pages produces a different result.

• 3. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc
              shandmedia Level 1

Thanks guys,

My issue is that I have 50+ pages in the doc.

Alt-dragging and rotating either way works for a single page but I was hoping there was some way to apply to every page.

I'd already tried Selecting all pages in the pages pallets and alt-dragging but it adds them at the end and the client wants them to follow on.

• 4. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc

There may be a way to script it, but I don't know how. 

I do want to note that Rob's technique will be better if you need the running heads from the master page to rotate as well. I'm not clear where you are going with the two orientations side-by-side—I'm just wondering if there is a better way to get you where you want to go.

• 5. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc
                  shandmedia Level 1

Thanks Barb,

I thought it might be scripting but I wouldn't know where to start.

To be honest it's a problem that shouldn't exist.

Client wants logo and name on an A4 sheet.

He then wants it duplicated and rotated - Like a tent card.

Offered to impose it 2 up on A3 but he insists his printer wants it this way and he's always done it this way etc. etc.

I think I'll go back to him and insist my way is best...

• 6. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc

Or maybe ask to speak directly to the printer?

There is an InDesign Scripting forum: InDesign Scripting.

It may be seen here, but you might want to post the question there in the meantime.

Best of luck to you! 

• 7. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have 50 odd pages.

Unless someone has already written one, I think the script would take longer to write than the manual duplication.

Maybe try setting your pages panel to horizontal, I think that makes dragging and dropping the pages easier.

case.png

• 8. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc
                        andrewb38571671 Level 1

If the end result is to be a PDF it might be easier to do the rotation part in Acrobat. Duplicate each page in InDesign, export to PDF, then, using the thumbnails in Acrobat, ctrl/cmd-click every second page and rotate 180 degrees. Less chance of something going wrong, too!

• 9. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You haven't saidexactly how this is going to be output, but my guess is the printer is going to run it two-up foot-to-foot.

A script that would do that is at InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files, but it isn't quite as straightforward as it seems. I would do this by running the script twice and placing the pages first on the left side of an A3 page, then run again and put the pages on the right, and rotated 180 at the same time. The problem is that if the printer really wants two independent pages, this won't do it.

But you should ask, because it will take less time to run the script twice than it took to type this.

• 10. Re: Duplicate and rotate each page in doc
                            Migintosh Level 4

If the source page and the destination page are on the same spread (like copying page 2 to page 3, and page 3 is blank), you can do it like this:

1. Select all on p2
                            2. Copy to page 3 (bring up the Move pallet [double-click on the Select tool, or go to Object>Transform>Move, or use Shift Command M] enter the width of your page into the horizontal field and hit the Copy button)
                            3. With the contents now duplicated and still selected on p3, rotate 180°
                            4. Select all on p4 and hit Option Command 4 (the shortcut for Object>Transform Again>Transform Sequence Again)
                            5. Repeat for the even pages

It takes longer than running a script, but it's not that hard. Something to consider.