6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 1:15 PM by J Isner

Lightroom 2015.5 export is very slow

J Isner Level 1

Export of 5 psd's "as original" has taken 20 minutes so far.  I am posting this while waiting for it to finish.  The progress bar was at zero for the first five minutes.  What could Lightroom possibly be doing in all that time?  I'm on a fast Windows machine with 24 GB of memory.  Nothing else is running except Lightroom.  Are there configuration parameters that I can change to fix this?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 2015.5 export is very slow
          dj_paige Level 9

While I agree with you that it shouldn't take that long, let's take a look at your hardware. Is the disk where the exported files are supposed to go almost full? While this export is going on, can you look at the CPU usage and memory usage and let us know what these usage numbers are?

• 2. Re: Lightroom 2015.5 export is very slow
            J Isner Level 1

I will run another test and monitor it as you suggested.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 2015.5 export is very slow
              dj_paige Level 9

Also, what is the size in pixels (not megabytes) of the photos you are trying to export?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 2015.5 export is very slow
                J Isner Level 1

The export I complained about was to a 64GB flash drive with 4GB used and 60GB free.  It's a USB 2.0 drive.    Thanks for your help. The five psd's are large -- on the order of 500 MB each.  Does any of this explain the slowness of the original export?

I ran another test. This time I exported to my hard drive.  The export took less than 30 seconds, which didn't give me a chance to check usage.   

• 5. Re: Lightroom 2015.5 export is very slow
                  dj_paige Level 9

Exporting to the flash drive will take longer. The speed of transfer will be much slower. I can't say that it should take 30 minutes, because I never did that, but I'm sure that's the problem.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 2015.5 export is very slow
                    J Isner Level 1

I agree that export to a flash drive should take longer.  But this long?  No way.  There is something horribly wrong with Lightroom, or with the way I have Lightroom configured.

I tried the export again, this time exporting as PSD.  These are flattened files, about 20% the size of the originals. The Lightroom export took just as long -- over 20 minutes.  A Windows copy/past of the same three files to the same flash drive took a few seconds.  So what is Lightroom doing in those other 19 minutes?

I noticed that you can coax Lightroom to hurry up, to some extent, by mousing around inside Lightroom during the export.  For example, switch to viewing a different folder in the Library module.  It seems to wake Lightroom up from whatever it is doing, and remind it to get back to work.  It helps, but it is not a solution.