7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 6:46 AM by jane-e

Page Attributes

adrianas48383217

Hi

Say I have a 100-page indesign file which serves as a basis file and keeps all the information for both print and electronic PDF exports.

Is there any way to set / predefine an attribute for each particular page so indesign will appropriately and automaticaly generate desired Print or Electronic PDF documents and recognise which page is used where? Say pages 1-50 are for printed PDF, 35-100 are for electronic PDF.

Sure it is easy to remember these page ranges if there are no changes but it is a dynamic document, pages are constantly adding up or page order changes depending on the requirements and it is impossible for me to keep tracking all the pages manually.

Thanks for your help & sorry for my english

Best

A

• 1. Re: Page Attributes
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

How about color labels: one color for print, one for electronic, one for both?

InDesign CCss_001.png

• 2. Re: Page Attributes
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Why not use alternate layouts?

• 3. Re: Page Attributes
              jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Both of the previous methods from Barb and Bob will work. Here's another that will work for Print, not PDF (too bad), possibly in addition to the others.

Select your pages in the Pages panel and from the panel menu, select Print Spreads.

• 4. Re: Page Attributes
                adrianas48383217 Level 1

Hi All

Thanks for your replies!

I am an indesign oldie, got to it after 10 years , great to see the new features.

Anyway. Maybe I am missing anything but I expected - when creating the alternate layout - that the content is somehow linked to  the original layout. Text changes/updates work for me but if I change the position of the object in the original layout (image/text frame), it doesnt reflect / doesn't notify me about this change in the alternate layout. Am I able to control this anywhere?

Thanks a lot

• 5. Re: Page Attributes
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After creating the alternate layout, subsequent postion changes in the two versions would have to be made manually. Given the fact that two alternate layouts might have totally different aspect ratios, there's no way to automate that. That's where you must put on your designer hat.

• 6. Re: Page Attributes
                    BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

if I change the position of the object in the original layout (image/text frame), it doesnt reflect / doesn't notify me about this change in the alternate layout.

I'm confused. You can base an alternate layout on an existing layout, but moving an object in one layout doesn't move it in the next layout. Once created, they can look very different.

• 7. Re: Page Attributes
                      jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Alternate Layouts are great if you need to create iPad_V and iPad_H and iPhone_V and iPhone_H, etc., where you want the text linked with different formatting and you want to reformat the page as you resize it with a liquid page rule (and then tweak it). That's why the defaults are as they are. In those cases the iPhone Horizontal has to look different from the iPad Vertical and the frames have to be adjusted. But changing the text in one needs to update in all layouts.

I would not use Alternate Layouts in the case of wanting to print some pages and pdf others with an overlap of some pages get printed and pdf-ed (is that a word?)

I vote for BarbBinder's solution with a combination of mine for print only in this particular case, based on the request of the OP. In other cases, the Alternate Layout might be a viable solution.