9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 7:38 PM by LauraMacky

Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks

LauraMacky Level 1

I've unfortunately lost my HD during a move and have some images that are showing exclamation points in LR.  These photos are connected to Smugmug via smart galleries in LR.  Is there a way to get rid of these exclamations?  I will obviously not be revising these images since I don't have the PSD's any longer.  I just want them to stay on Smugmug as they are and to remove the exclamations in LR.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only way to do that is to link the photos to the master images.

• 2. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
            LauraMacky Level 1

I'm not quite understanding so maybe you can help clear it up for me.   The image only resides in smugmug.  Are you saying I need to insert a link somewhere in LR in the metadata which connects it to the image in SM?  And if so how do I do that?

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know anything about SM. But the only way you can get rid of those exclamation points is to link Lightroom to the master images. All you are seeing are the previews that were generated by Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
                LauraMacky Level 1

Well there is no master image unfortunately.  Maybe someone else will have an idea. Thanks anyway. 

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
                  DustinF00 Level 2

I am not sure how the smart galleries work, however if you're saying now in the library module you have missing files and folders (due to the external harddrive missing from the move)

I believe the only way to make the Exclamation mark go away is to locate the original files (which seems to be on the lost hard drive) or choosing REMOVE them from the LIBRARY module.

Might be helpful to include a screen a shot of the spot or screen you're seeing the exclaimation marks - but I think if I follow correctly - in summary - Lightroom is telling you it cannot find these files, you know you can't find these files because they are on an external hard drive that has been lost - so now the only way to make them go away is to locate the original files or remove them from the library.

The only concern I have is that I do not know how smart galleries work - SO - it might be helpful to download the SmugMug galleries and put them on the harddrive and point Lightroom to them... If those are ONLY JPGs and you had RAWs originally in the library - then I think you are totally toast and just have to deal with the marks or remove the folders/files from Lightroom.

I guess now is not a good time to discuss data and back up management - because ideally regardless of a lost, stolen or failed hard drive - the goal would be to NOT lose these files...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
                    LauraMacky Level 1

Thanks for your input.  The smart gallery is a link to SM.  I didn't think of this simplistic idea of just removing them from the library.  I'll try that with one image to see if it works.

And yes I back up and am very organized but we had problems in a move and now the HD is gone.  I'm doing yet another backup now which fortunately has my current work.  95% of it anyway.

Thanks a lot. I'm off to give this a try after my backup completes.  Which should be any second!

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
                      LauraMacky Level 1

Nope.  Can't do it.  It won't remove because it's part of a smart gallery.  However, I did think of downloading the image from SM (it's a jpeg but better than nothing) and importing it into a folder in LR as if it's the original.  Maybe that'd take care of things. 

To: Laura Macky <fingerson88@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:34 PM

Subject:  Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks

Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks

created by DustinF00 in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionI am not sure how the smart galleries work, however if you're saying now in the library module you have missing files and folders (due to the external harddrive missing from the move)  I believe the only way to make the Exclamation mark go away is to locate the original files (which seems to be on the lost hard drive) or choosing REMOVE them from the LIBRARY module.  Might be helpful to include a screen a shot of the spot or screen you're seeing the exclaimation marks - but I think if I follow correctly - in summary - Lightroom is telling you it cannot find these files, you know you can't find these files because they are on an external hard drive that has been lost - so now the only way to make them go away is to locate the original files or remove them from the library.  The only concern I have is that I do not know how smart galleries work - SO - it might be helpful to download the SmugMug galleries and put them on the harddrive and point Lightroom to them... If those are ONLY JPGs and you had RAWs originally in the library - then I think you are totally toast and just have to deal with the marks or remove the folders/files from Lightroom. I guess now is not a good time to discuss data and back up management - because ideally regardless of a lost, stolen or failed hard drive - the goal would be to NOT lose these files...  If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8989123#8989123 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8989123#8989123 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 8. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
                        LauraMacky Level 1

I figured it out!  I remove it from the catalog and leave it on the service (Smugmug), then delete the smart gallery keyword and then it will delete from LR but will remain on SM!  Yay!

• 9. Re: Missing Photos w/Exclamation Marks
                          LauraMacky Level 1

Actually your suggestion did help.  It got me to think of the catalog.  I posted what I did at the end of this thread but thanks for spurring me to think about it in this way.