11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 1:24 PM by Roei Tzoref

How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?

Calvin1509 Level 1

I have dozens of layers with tons of keyframes and clips that start and stop. I have noticed in one section of my animation that it would look better if I slowed it down (added time) between a series of keyframes. Back in the day in flash you could stick your playhead in that exact spot and just add blank keyframes where everything to the right of the head would be pushed to the right. Is there any way to do that in after effects? The problem I have found with dragging and selecting the dozens of keframes and dragging them right is that the comps get completely messed up, dragging some leaving others. What I really want to do is basically stretch in the middle of a the timeline across all layers. Please tell me this is possible, haven't been able to find a way anywhere.

• 1. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can only change the total length of the comp. Then you'll have to either adjust the position and in and out points of every layer manually or split the layers and insert your new content. There is no automatic way to do an insert edit because AE is a compositing app designed to work on shots and not an editing app.

The other way to do this is to nest your comp in a longer comp and then enable time remapping. When you have done hat you can then set keyframes for the point you want to extend the comp and another keyframe for the point where you want to resume the action, then grab the last 2 keyframes and move them to the right. This will keep the speed normal until you reach the second time remapping keyframe, slow down the action until you get to the third keyframe and then resume normal playback speed until the end of the layer. Do you need a visual on that? This works really well if you don't need to put things between layers. If you do need to put things between layers then you pre-compose everything above where the new layer goes and everything below so you now have 2 comps to time remap.

The best option may be to split your comp where you need to add time and make it two comps. I don't know any details about your project but usually when someone asks to add time to a comp they are editing a sequence in AE. This is almost always a bad idea. More than 90% of my AE comps are one shot and the only reason they are brought into AE is for effects and compositing that I cannot do in my NLE.

• 2. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
            Back in the day in flash you could stick your playhead in that exact spot and just add blank keyframes where everything to the right of the head would be pushed to the right. Is there any way to do that in after effects?

Nope. you can only add time to the beginnning or the end of the comp

The problem I have found with dragging and selecting the dozens of keframes and dragging them right is that the comps get completely messed up,dragging some leaving others.

how exactly? why does it leave others? if you type U to see the keyframed properties, you will see all of the keyframes and with careful selection (it does require precision) you will select all of them. you can go a group at a time if you need to. but that's how you do it. if you have any specific problem your encountering you can post a screenshots and we can see what exactly are you dealing with and offer ways do to this efficiently.

• 3. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?
              Calvin1509 Level 1

Thanks for the responses guys. I took a screencast of what I'm trying to do which I hope helps clarify. I'm building motion graphics for mobile applications.

After effects timeline expansion - YouTube

• 4. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have two choices. First choice - Nest the comp in a new one and use time remapping. The keyframe under the CTI is the start of the time change, the last pair of highlighted keyframes were moved to the left, the out point extended. The animation will now play in real time until it gets to the second keyframe, slow down between the second and third, and then play in real time between the third and fourth keyframe. With animations like the one in your screencast you will not get duplicate frames and any animated properties in the slowed down part will be as sooth as if you had retimed the animation manually.

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 8.26.34 AM.png

Second choice.

1. Set the layer color for groups of layers that have the same out point
                  Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 8.18.32 AM.png
                2. Right click on one of those layers and select Select group
                3. Move the CTI to the point in time where you want the new out point
                4. Alt/Option + ] sets a new out point for all selected layers
                5. Press the u key to reveal all keyframes for the selected layers
                6. Drag a selection around all of the keyframes you want to move and drag them to their new position
                7. Repeat for the other layers you want to retime

The key to making this efficient is to set up layer groups based on label colors. You can also hold down the Alt/Option key when moving a group of keyframes to proportionally change them all to extend the timing of multiple keyframes while keeping the first keyframe in it's original position.

• 5. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?

very good explanation of your problem! . yep we don't have that in Ae unfortunately.  the 1st option you are describing is the way I would do it. yes it's a manual labor but it's not that bad. in 00:51 you say "all these clips are out of syncs" that's not entirely true. the container for your layer needs to be extended but this doesn't mean anything is out of sync. it's a graphic layer so the container is empty (it's not a video) just to make it clear that it's not that bad.

it's really easy to pull off and yes it takes a minute or more really (how many layers? 100? 200? I am a real tidy freak so I would not use Time Remapping and just bite the bullet). you probably want to press the Tilda key ~ to expand your timeline to the fullest. after you dragged the keyframes to their new place just ctrl/cmd shift the layers that have the same duration and drag manually, use the Shift key to lock them into place. you keyframes are the indication to where the layer is supposed to end and it will snap to them.

if you want layers to snap to keyframes there's actually a new script out there called. Obsessive Layers 2 - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

• 6. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?
                    sebseb538 Level 1

Hi all, I'm new to AE. I'm used to extend or reduce parts of my animations all the time in other tools. I found this old plugin that seems to be the answer but does't look to be available anymore. I would pay for that plugin.

Painless Frame Adding & Deleting In After Effects | Smart Interaction Lab

• 7. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?

there you go:

https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/smdcode/AE 5.5%20-%20Add%20Delete%20Frames.zip

found it here:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1078462

thank this guy:

Ben Chao - Creative COW

just tested it. it seems to work! it's not bug free. the interpolation could be messed up. this is from users on the website: Painless Frame Adding & Deleting In After Effects | Smart Interaction Lab  thread:

* It doesn’t save the ease in ease out data. It just converts the keyframes to all linear, or sometimes to holds. Sometimes it converts holds to linear keyframes.

* in case there is a Hold key somewhere in the layer – after adding frames all subsequent keys get turned into Hold mode as well.

and probably more bugs

other than that, maybe Op found what he was looking for?

001.gif

• 8. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?
                        sebseb538 Level 1

Thx Roei !

Also, this from aescripts.com  :

We are actually going to be releasing a product very soon that will have this functionality and more. Please subscribe so you get notified when we release it: http://aescripts.com/subscription

• 9. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?

Great! thanks for the update.

• 10. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?
                            sebseb538 Level 1

Hi all,

From aescripts.com :

Today we released Elastic Comp Changer which does what you are requesting: http://aescripts.com/elastic-comp-changer/

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: How do I add space/time in the middle of the timeline?

Thank you for sharing. I wonder when will I need it, I am so used to doing things manually.... I think Op fell of his chair