5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 8:40 AM by Roei Tzoref

Audio scrubbing and looping around playhead.

ultrastatic Level 1

AE 13.8.138, 2015.3 Release

After Effects used to scrub ahead from the playhead on forward when you stop the playhead while scrubbing with command in earlier versions. But since AE 2015 I think, it changed behaviour and now it loops around the playhead making it nearly impossible to sync stuff to audio. Very hard to find exactly where a beat happens, or for lipsyncing stuff.

Right now I use a method of gambling, previewing, adjusting, not stopping the playhead and watching the waveform but this feels very cumbersome.

Tips or tricks anyone? Hidden preferences?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Audio scrubbing and looping around playhead.
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

preview in 13.8.1 gives you much more options than ever before.

I find it hard to understand what exactly is the problem you are describing.

After Effects used to scrub ahead from the playhead on forward when you stop the playhead while scrubbing with command in earlier versions.

this sentence is hard for me to figure out. are you scrubbing with Cmd? what exactly is different?

it changed behaviour and now it loops around the playhead making it nearly impossible to sync stuff to audio.

so are you previewing? not scrubbing? if you are caching frames and this is turned on:

you will get a loop from the beginning of your preview to the time you stopped it.

if this is not fixing the issue for you, please describe in steps what are you doing, what do you expect to happen, and what is happening.

• 2. Re: Audio scrubbing and looping around playhead.
            ultrastatic Level 1

Thanks for your response! I must have been unclear. I'm aware of the functions you describe, but they don't have anything to do with my problem.

If you scrub through the timeline with command (alt on pc?) you hear the audio, right? Now if you stop moving the mouse/playhead while scrubbing but keep on pressing Cmd, you hear a short loop of audio. That short loop of audio used to be from the playhead on forwards, now the short loop is centered around the playhead position.

So you used to be able to precisely position the playhead on the start of a specific sound. In current versions this is much harder.

• 3. Re: Audio scrubbing and looping around playhead.

If you scrub through the timeline with command (alt on pc?) you hear the audio, right? Now if you stop moving the mouse/playhead while scrubbing but keep on pressing Cmd, you hear a short loop of audio.

I see. well you learn something new everyday. never used this feature before. can't see that I will, because it's hard for me to see how this helps me more that looking at the waveform and regular . shortcut and scrub and I have been doing audio transcription for years. but I don't do character lip syncing. enough about me! so yes when you click on the CTI it will play around current time and not forward like in CC2014. this behavior is in CC2015 and 2015.3

maybe this could help you

Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?

• 4. Re: Audio scrubbing and looping around playhead.
                ultrastatic Level 1

Yes I have found that thread, sadly it offers no solutions. It's more about the threshold for the speed at which the scrubbing switches to looping, and it's not about what said loop consists of. IAW, it does not solve my problem.

Thanks for trying though!

• 5. Re: Audio scrubbing and looping around playhead.

Sure! thanks for showing me something new. guess it's maybe CC2014 for you. but please try to submit a bug report or feature request. you could help make this software better for all of us. who knows, I might want to use this feature one day. Feature Request/Bug Report Form