5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 1:54 AM by Laubender

Interactive PDF without seeing the underlying pages

markjuh77

Dear people,

I want to make an interactive PDF, this PDF has more underlying pages. I want the underlying pages not visable when opening the document. The only moment when they have to become visable is when I click on a certain button who shows the right page.

I searched for multiple solutions like:

- Linking a button to an another document

- Or make multiple pages (but don't know how I can make this invisable)

Can anyone help me out with this?

With kind regards,

Mark

• 1. Re: Interactive PDF without seeing the underlying pages
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is no way to hide pages in a PDF. Perhaps if you give us full details of what you want to do as well as the intended audience and distribution method we can offer some suggestions.

• 2. Re: Interactive PDF without seeing the underlying pages
            markjuh77 Level 1

Dear Bob,

First of all thanks for your quick response!

We want to do the following:

We are busy with a school project, the intention of this project is to give students the oportunity to structurate there thinking proces. So we have an page with multiple (clickable) blocks on the frontpage. Behind those blocks we want to add other interactive pages so the students can file those pages in and save them.

We lose the point of this when students see all the pages, you have to see this as a kind of webpage, each student has there own page to log in an full in some things and click on blocks to open other pages. 

Hope you know enaugh, and can help me out. I have the whole CS6 suite so other software solutions are welcome.

With kind regards,

Mark

• 3. Re: Interactive PDF without seeing the underlying pages
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like an eLearning project. There are dedicated applications for that such as Captivate and Story Line.

• 4. Re: Interactive PDF without seeing the underlying pages
                Sally Cox ACP Adobe Community Professional

Yes what you're looking for is an eLearning application, which is not part of Creative Suite or Creative Cloud. Adobe's eLearning application is called Captivate. Other popular eLearning applications are Storyline (very user friendly and PPT-like), iSpring (also very easy to use). All these applications offer publish to HTML5 for mobile. Only Captivate is truly responsive design – the others rescale to fit the screen – but Captivate is a bit more challenging to learn.

Hope this info helps. Have a great day!

Sally

• 5. Re: Interactive PDF without seeing the underlying pages
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Mark,

I think it could be done with PDF.

But that involves PDF Layers and the management of layer visibility by buttons and also JavaScript with Acrobat.

You could prepare the layers and the buttons with InDesign. That would mean one page and a couple of layers in InDesign.
                  All the other functionality has to be made with Acrobat Pro.

I'm not sure, but I think, that Acrobat Java Scripting can even hide the listing of layers in the Layers Panel of Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro. But if that is working with your students depends on the use of Adobe Reader and that JavaScript is enabled with Reader (one can disable it and you as the author of the PDF cannot do anything about it).
                  And usually students are clever enough to cheat and open such a PDF with other PDF reader software than Adobe Reader to skin its contents.

Regards,
                  Uwe