12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 8:45 AM by RebeccaG1977

Phone Gap: QR code Availability

RebeccaG1977 Level 1

Heya, after I complete a build and I get the QR code, can others, meaning folks that don't have the same certificate as I do on my iPhone as the developer, will they be able to download the app?  Apologies if this is trivia, but essentially can a complete stranger download the app on his iPhone if I give him the QR code I get on the Phone Gap page?

Thanks guys.

– Rebecca.

• 1. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
          VectorP Level 4

Such person can only install the app on his iDevice if the device is registered and included in the mobileprovision, with which the app was built.

• 2. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
            RebeccaG1977 Level 1

Can i use the QR code after a PhoneGap build directly?

(meaning not going through the iOS app store)

• 3. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
              Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Like VectorP said, only if that person's iDevice was registered and included in the mobile provisioning file that was used to sign the development app. Otherwise, it will not run on their iDevice.

Chris

• 4. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                RebeccaG1977 Level 1

Thank you.  I am focusing on an iOs app, and wanted the share it on our website after a PhoneGap build is tested and successful to us - is there an option to do that? 

Must i go through iTunes? Any way i can share the app directly on our website?

Cheers,

- Rebecca.

• 5. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                  VectorP Level 4

Yes, you can share the .ipa file that way. But folks won't be able to use it on their device. This way of sharing is exactly what Apple doesn't want to happen!

Such website visitor can only install the app on his iDevice if the device is registered and included in the mobileprovision, with which the app was built.

• 6. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                    RebeccaG1977 Level 1

Thank you. Having a user's "device is registered and included in the mobileprovision, with which the app was built." is not really  possible?

• 7. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                      VectorP Level 4

The situation is like this:

1. Apple requires that publication only takes place through its AppStore (iTunes). The app will be reviewed, first.

2. For test purposes, it's possibe to use a limited number of installs in development mode. User devices must be registered and included in mobileprovision. No review by Apple.

3. For beta test purposes, you can use Testflight. Users can be allowed to use that with their mail address registered. Apple's Review Procedure is in place, though.

4. For enterprise situations, you can become an Enterprise Developer and use the Enterprise Program.

Every now and then, 'developers' ask this question at forums: how can I circumvent these rules?

Turns out that they usually want to prevent the app from being reviewed (due to questionable content or breaking some other review rules).

Wouldn't you just publish your app in the AppStore (iTunes), then publish a link to the app's iTunes page at your website?

• 8. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                        RebeccaG1977 Level 1

Thank you. The app is for my group of music teacher in our district. The content is absolutely okay and I'm sure we'll get approved (unless they have a problem with 'Percussion Poem notes   which I’m sure they don’t) That’s not the problem. The issue is timing and third party dependency.  With everyone scheduling my main concern is that I’ll need to publish but while the app is approved by apple/google we’ve missed our window. That is my main concern. We are a close group and ideally my hope was to post a link to the app and each teacher will be able to download it to her/his phone. 

Any suggestions how to go about this?

• 9. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                          VectorP Level 4

Why must it be an app, then? Can't you offer this functionality as a mobile website?

You would not be dependent on Apple and you can publish whenever you'd like.

Every teacher will have a mobile browser on his device (regardless whether Android, Apple or Windows)

• 10. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                            RebeccaG1977 Level 1

Thank you. I simply thought that if they have the 'app icon' on their mobile-device it will be more visible - >  they will use it more. Plus, If it's a link to a website, i can already see the late night calls I'm going to get 'what's the address, again?' Also with an app i can send push alerts which not sure how in HTML5.

Mainly i was thinking it's a better user experience and more prominent for them to use. Don't you agree?

• 11. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                              VectorP Level 4

I simply thought that if they have the 'app icon' on their mobile-device it will be more visible - >  they will use it more.

I think there are several flaws in this thinking:

1. Suppose everyone would pack his website as an app, how many icons would everyone have on his device? And how 'visible' would such icon on the fifteenth page of your device be?

2. If the usage of the app/website depends on the availability of an icon on the home screen, then your content may not be interesting enough for the users. In other words: if the content is indeed interesting enough, why wouldn't they use the website in a browser? After all, that's "content on the display" as much as an app is.

3. For a web page, it's possible to add an icon as a hyperlink on the home screen of the device, too.

Plus, If it's a link to a website, i can already see the late night calls I'm going to get 'what's the address, again?'

Well, you already have a website, where you wanted to share the app from. It's apparently a place that your teachers visit. Why don't you publish your 'app content' there, OR publish a link to the web-app there?

Also with an app i can send push alerts which not sure how in HTML5.

OK, but you could use a mail list for those messages, instead. Those who want to receive such messages could apply for the mail list or newsletter. That would be nice for the users, because they would not be overloaded with push messages that they don't want to receive.

Mainly i was thinking it's a better user experience and more prominent for them to use.

No, that was not your main issue/requirement.

After all, you already wrote:

"...my main concern is that I’ll need to publish but while the app is approved by apple/google we’ve missed our window."

• 12. Re: Phone Gap: QR code Availability
                                RebeccaG1977 Level 1

Thank you. A lot to consider.