15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 1:14 AM by samd9999

2016 budget PC for video editing and animation

samd9999

I am building PC primarily for video editing and animation( Adobe suit, Maya,etc.).

i7 6700k, z170 pro gaming, 16gb Gskill RAM, Samsung evo 256gb SSD, 2TB WD Blue,  Dell u2515h.

I am really confused choosing budget video card, CPU cooler and Cabinet.

Budget: Around 1500$ (Indian 100000 Rs.) Planning to buy within this month. 

Note: With good performance I want dead silent system.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

silent build, there are two options for a silent build at idle. turning off most or all fans at idle with some open air panels in the case to allow the heat to move freely out of the case, or fans on low with a closed case to reduce what little noise is made by the fans. if you are going for most or all case fans turned off at idle, you will want to check if the motherboard you are picking will allow fans to be turned off at safe temps. this can be set in the fan profile software, but some wont allow the fans to be turned off or 0% at low temps. if the computer doesn't idle much and/or you want it to be quiet under load, then you may want to keep the case more closed to reduce higher rpm fan noise.

case, you may want a case with some noise dampening material, no window, and some removable fan panels. the fractal design r5 is very popular. the corsair 400q, corsair 100r silent edition, phanteks eclipse, be quiet 600, and nzxt h440 are some others to look at and have various features. noctua fans are the quietest and could be used to replace the case fans, but that wouldn't be budget friendly.

cpu cooler, since you are using the i7-6700k you may need a cpu cooler with a fan on it. noctua coolers are the quietest, because of their quiet fans. the noctua d15 or d14 are good choices, but you will need to make sure they fit in the case you choose. they come with two fans, so you can remove one for less noise. cryorig also makes very good cpu coolers and might be more affordable. at idle it may also be possible to turn off the cpu cooler fan, but would be safer to keep it very low or at least turn on earlier than the case fans. overclocking the cpu will also require the cpu cooler fan to run at higher speed when the cpu is under load, making more noise. if you are overclocking, i would keep the fan profile high for better cooling, until you lock in the cpu overclock, then back down the cpu fan profile. you could also look into under-clocking the cpu if you want to lower help lower the fan speed and noise.

video card, you will want to find a dual or triple fan card that will turn off its fans when they aren't needed. i'm not sure if you have a preference of amd vs nvidia, or if one of your programs needs one or the other, but the nvidia cards are going to use less power and produce less heat. therefore have a better chance of keeping the fans off for longer. for premiere pro you should stick with the video cards in the range of the gtx 960 4gb up to the gtx 1060 6gb. for amd cards the rx 470 and rx 480 are good performers. adobe software should be ok with 4gb models, but the amd cards also have 8gb models if one of your programs need it. if you get the rx 480 make sure its a custom design card like from asus, not the single fan reference design. the gtx 1060 has the best chance of being the quietest and lowest power draw. if most of your premiere pro projects will only be HD, the gtx 1060 3gb should be a good option.

ram, make sure you are getting 2x8gb, so you have the option to add more ram later.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For the graphics card for a budget system I would recommend a GTX 1060.  I do not know if my choice of an EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR ($259 USD) is available or not but it is a super-clocked model with 6 GB of video RAM.  It really performs well and actually the Memory clock can be overclocked to make performance noticeable better in Premiere Pro graphic acceleration than my GTX 970.

It is a single fan model and even overclocked at 99% GPU load in Premiere the fan runs at 52% speed and is quite quiet.

• 3. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation
              samd9999 Level 1

Thank you very much for your time buddy. I really would like to get gtx 960. Is it really outdated now?  I can go with 1060 3gb considering its low price, but seems like it has some heating issues. Though its not out yet, sill it be worth waiting for 1050? Its new architecture.

On another note I am also not sure about how much performance difference will be there between these gtx models, since I am going to use it only for video editing and animation ( more CPU dependent). I am not going to play any games. So would it be wise to just get any  basic budget card like 750 ti and use that saved money on other components?

For cabinet I came across the same options you suggested but there are mixed reviews about them. For now I am going with corsair 100 silent edition.

For cooling, how reliable and silent is aio. Seems like there is always going to be some noise of the pump if not the fan. I would like to go with noctua , but its expensive. So liquid vs air still not sure about it considering noise they create.

• 4. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation
                samd9999 Level 1

Thank you Bill. That was helpful.

• 5. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation

No heating problems seen here, as a matter-of-fact here is a fully loaded GPU acceleration run on my specific GTX 1060 overclocked the 2,400 MHz and as you can see it runs quite cool and only 75% of maximum power dissipation (only 50% when I did this screen grab). Notice also that with my PPBM test below that the H.264 export used more video RAM than the 2GB GTX 960 model has so it would have reverted to using more CPU and thereby taking longer to do that export and also only had the fan spinning at 50%

GTX 1060 OC Both.png

I my opinion it would be a shame to buy an old under performing product that has less life time than a GTX 10 series product.  There is a GTX 1060 3GB card from EVGA that MSP is $200 it is an 03G-P4-6160-KR that you could search for that might be a compromise part for you, you might have to watch for retocking of the part.

• 6. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation

i haven't read any heating problems with the gtx 1060, only with the reference cooler on the rx 480. the gtx 1000 series added support for 4k hdr and wcg, if you don't need those then older gtx cards are still fine to use. the gtx 1060 is maybe 40-50% faster than the gtx 960 and both are rated 120 watt. if your premiere projects don't need alot of gpu power, the gtx 1060 with a medium to low workload has a better chance of keeping the fans off and being completely silent. i'm not sure if the model bill recommends is able to turn off its fan, but with a single fan design its heatsink won't be able to run passive as long as larger dual or triple fan design card. if you are more concerned with budget and plan on only using a few gpu accelerated fx and only HD projects, the gtx 750 ti 2gb or 950 2gb models may be powerful enough for your needs. you would have to see what the prices are where you shop, here all the gtx 900 series cards are priced too close to the gtx 1060. i'm not sure when the gtx 1050 will be released, but it may help drive down prices on the gtx 900 cards. the gtx 1050 may be around or just under the gtx 960 for performance.

the corsair website says the 100R will support 150mm max height cpu cooler, so that should be the 90-120mm air coolers. you would have to check the dimensions of the cpu cooler you pick, to make sure it fits. it might also be good to search online if others are using the case and cooler together. the cryorig h7 appears to be 145mm tall, so it might fit. i don't know the prices for the coolers there, so you may have to see which ones fit your budget and look at reviews for cooling and noise levels to find the best. if you went with a wider case, it would be able to hold a 140mm air cooler and be quieter. aio liquid coolers have gotten better from when they first came out and usually last a couple of years before the pump fails or it leaks. if an air cooler failed, it would only need a new fan and wouldn't risk damaging any hardware. if the case was too thin to allow a good air cooler, then liquid might make sense, but i would choose to replace the case first. the corsair 100r website says it will only hold a 120mm liquid cooler. it would have to be a 240mm or larger liquid cooler to have a chance of being quieter than a good air cooler.

• 7. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation

also, the corsair rmx and rmi power supply models appear to have semi-passive fans. this will keep the psu fan off until needed, usually around 50% watts of the models rating.

• 8. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation

My Corsair AX1200i the fan does turn off while the system is idling with a single GPU (I built it with the big supply to be able to test up to 3 GPU's).

• 10. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation
                          samd9999 Level 1

That looks promising bill. Can you tell me the full name of the card you are using.I was thinking to go for Asus 1060 strix oc 6gb. But came across MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X and probably go for it.

Msi wins here over Asus in noise factor. It is relatively cool and quiet compared to asus.

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6 GB Review | techPowerUp

• 11. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation

My card happens to be an EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR.  It happens to be out of stock right now and as a result you see a lot of scalpers jack up the price.  Newegg through a third party has them available for a ridiculous $540!  Wait a week or so and EVGA and its dealers will probably have more.

• 12. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation

it appears there is a bios update to enable the fan on the evga card to turn off at low temps. the bios update also sets the fan speed lower under max load to keep it quiet, but at the expense of the card running hot. the msi card review is impressive, its able to stay cool and quiet at max load. the asus strix is slightly louder under max load, but also a few degree's cooler than the msi.

• 13. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation
                                samd9999 Level 1

Yes, msi having really impressive reviews considering its low noise. I hope there would not be any considerable heating issue for the sake of low noise. If that is the case I can go with msi. But as Bill mentioned prices are way high right now. So I guess I will wait for some time.

Other thing, I just came to know that i7 5820k wins over 6700k in performance with extra 2 cores, which is helpful in content creation.

I was so sure to get 6700k , but now wondering if 5800k would be the right choice or not though it comes with the expense of higher TDP. 91 wt vs 140 wt. For the sake of less noise I am not going for water cooling at all. But if i switch with 5820k would it be ok to use just the budget air cooler like cryorig h7?

• 14. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation

the i7-5820k was replaced by the i7-6800k, which is slightly faster than the 5820k. the i7-5820k may be cheaper or have close-out specials. the other system component costs will increase as the x99 motherboards cost more, and a better power supply and cpu cooler should also be used.

the cryorig h7 website says its rated for 140w tdp, so it may be noisy running the 120mm fan at full speed. since its matching the tdp on stock cpu speeds, it may not handle any overclocking on the 6 core cpu's either.

• 15. Re: 2016 budget PC for video editing and animation
                                    samd9999 Level 1

I agree with you Ronin. But i see lot of people complaining about 6800k is having issues with OC. While 5820 seems to be giving nice OC performance.