5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 2:01 PM by Sue Garibaldi

Shapes, CC Library and Capture CC

AndyJ2106 Level 1

I created a simple shape in Photoshop - a filled triangle - and dragged it to the library panel.  This created a new Graphic asset in my library of type PSD. 

I've misunderstood something: in Capture CC if I shift to Shapes I was expecting to see it there but it just reports "This library has no shapes".  If I create a shape in Capture CC it appears in my library as a Graphic asset of type SVG. If I drag it into a PS file, it is a linked object, which I expect. 

This SVG graphic asset could be updated in Capture CC and, I assume, the changes reflect automatically in my PSD?

Why doesn't a shape created in another app appear in Capture CC?

• 1. Re: Shapes, CC Library and Capture CC
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Andy,

Hmmm, probably the best way for me to explain this is... although all Capture assets are Library assets, not all Library assets are Capture assets.

That is, there are a couple of ways to get Library content into our mobile apps (and Capture is one of those). Are you trying to pull any of this "desktop" Library content in any one of our mobile apps (Comp, Draw, Sketch)? Because you can access it from your Libraries in those apps.... even though they don't show up in Capture.

I know it sounds crazy complicated and, until you know where to look for things, it can be. The Library team is looking at how to make that content more broadly accessible and easier to use anywhere people want to use it but until then probably the best way for me to help is to show you how to access the Library assets that don't show up in Capture.

Does that help at all? Please let me know if you're trying to use this content in any of our apps and I'll explain how you can do that.

Sue

• 2. Re: Shapes, CC Library and Capture CC
            AndyJ2106 Level 1

I'm not sure really, I'm playing with the tools to see how they work, how they are integrated and how that impacts a workflow.  I feel I've got an understanding of Comp CC and Capture CC (for colour) and how they integrate through the library with Photoshop and color.adobe.com.

Yesterday I wanted to create a simple triangle as a shape filled with red.  My first thought was to fire up Adobe Capture and create it in there - like Comp, I thought it would take a hand-drawn image, recognise it and convert it to a vector shape and I could manipulate line paths: easy-peasy.  Doesn't seem to work that way but rather through the camera to 'scan' shapes.  These aren't then editable in the sense that shapes are - no line paths to adjust etc.  Certainly aren't editable through PS but going back into Capture certain things can be changed.  Basically, I don't think Capture is what I thought it was (initially I was remembering Adobe Shapes as an app but I didn't use that.) 

Perhaps Adobe Draw is more appropriate in this type of scenario: would that do round-trip vector shape creating/editing?

Anyway, the questions were really geared at understanding how the apps worked.  My expectations, and maybe these should be long term, is that desktop and mobile apps are 'aligned' and that the former is better when sat at home in front of the Mac (or PC) and the latter when out on the road to continue work.  A bit like Lightroom Mobile.  So, for example, a vector asset is a vector asset is a vector asset: it can be created in any app, edited in any app and viewed in any app.  It seems we're not quite there yet, which is ok (and maybe there is no intention to get that far), so as I said, just trying to understand how they do work.

To answer my own questions then:

"This SVG graphic asset could be updated in Capture CC and, I assume, the changes reflect automatically in my PSD?"  I believe the answer is yes: dropped into PS it is a linked smart object so if I fire up Capture and make changes, the object in PS will change.  The 'shape' (it's actually an SVG graphic) can't be edited in PS.

"Why doesn't a shape created in another app appear in Capture CC?": because it can't be manipulated by the Shapes feature in Capture CC.  Interesting thought just occurred: what if I downloaded and dropped an SVG into my Asset Library - would Capture CC pick that up and allow editing???

• 3. Re: Shapes, CC Library and Capture CC

Andy,

From our engineer:

Capture is a creation app, not a general asset management and editing tool. It will only show the assets it created within the app, not all assets of a particular type. It can only edit assets it created.  So, to answer your last question, no, it would not be able to edit a shape created in Photoshop or an SVG brought into Libraries on the desktop.

Right now, none of our apps are "round trip." That is, for the most part, they go from mobile to desktop, or from mobile to mobile, but not back again. It's a feature that's requested a bit and I think eventually that capability will be in the apps, but it's not yet.

Is any of this helping? Or am I just making things less clear?

Sue.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Shapes, CC Library and Capture CC
                AndyJ2106 Level 1

Helps a lot, thanks.  It's all good information to have.

Andrew

• 5. Re: Shapes, CC Library and Capture CC

Andy,

Oh, good.

Sue.