3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 2:40 PM by dj_paige

Lose facial recognition info moving photos between folders?

davidl4906289

I spent almost a week using the LR 6 facial recognition tool to tag photos in 4 different catalogs.  I thought I'd imported photos from drive D:/SJVAS to Catalog SJVAS (and folder SJVAS)  However, looking at the file location line, halfway down on the left, I see that they ended up in the Real Estate folder.  If I move them to the SJVAS folder in LR will I lose all the facial recognition ID's I made while it was in the wrong folder?  If not, how is this information moved with the photos?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lose facial recognition info moving photos between folders?
          dj_paige Level 9

If you move the photos within Lightroom, or use your operating system to do the move and then reconnect inside of Lightroom, you shouldn't lose any metadata (including facial recognition metadata). You would lose the information if you re-imported the photos.

Why 4 catalogs? This seems to limit the usefulness of facial recognition data (and limit the usefulness of all user supplied metadata).

• 2. Re: Lose facial recognition info moving photos between folders?
            davidl4906289 Level 1

I have my photos broken down into-

Personal                         3500+

Local children's home     3000+          many aold and valuable archive scans

Sports                             2000+          I have coached kids for 20+ years and have many, many with tons of different kids

Family                             3000+          I maintain our large family tree with over 300 people in it.  3k and adding photos regularly as they                                                             are discovered

Since these are so different I am leery of having anything happen to them.

1.  Is there no way to keep a master list of facial scans that can us used across catalogs?

2.  Is the facial recognition data stored in each photo and where?

dj, thank you for the quick reply.

• 3. Re: Lose facial recognition info moving photos between folders?
              dj_paige Level 9

1.  Is there no way to keep a master list of facial scans that can us used across catalogs?

As far as I know, the only way to do this is to use one catalog for all photos.

2.  Is the facial recognition data stored in each photo and where?

No. It is stored in the catalog file.