9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 9:05 AM by Roei Tzoref

Morphing 2D into 3D

Aivenhoe

I need to figure out a way to morph a 2d animation into a 3D. The animations have been created in two different programs, Anime Studio and DAZ 3D. I can get them exported to an *.mov or any other format. The idea is to have a 2d character gradually turning into a 3d version of itself. Perhaps I could use some sort of transition, but I thought of morphing first. Any ideas? Thank you

• 1. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

There are many ways to make this a cool transition . if possible, s screenshot or a video could narrow down a few suggestions and save some time here.

• 2. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D
            Aivenhoe Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The video is still in the works. Can you at least direct me on where I start with what would work best? Essentially it's a cartoon character sitting in the chair and as the camera zooms in it is supposed to turn into a 3D of the same character. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D

I would go for a professional tool such as this: RE:Flex - RE:Vision Effects here is a tutorial: RE:Flex Morph - Morphing between moving images - YouTube

• 4. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D
                Aivenhoe Level 1

Thank you, Roei. I though of another thing meanwhile. DAZ allows for exporting to Cinema4d which is compatible with AE. I am not sure about how that would work with a 2D mov. file... Peaches and apple question?

• 5. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D

did the Re:flex option seem good to you? if you have access to the source files and we're not talking just about morphing pixels to pixels, then if you could manipulate the 3D object actual mesh and polygons, that could make this effect a lot more refined. but it's all a question of skill and time. are you experienced 3D user? I am far from it... I am quite good with pixels and vectors though. maybe we can wait a while, we got a few veterans here that love to show what they know

• 6. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I am not sure about how that would work with a 2D mov. file...

I'm not sure why that is even a question. As far as AE is concerned, you are always morphing 2D pixels, not 3D geometry data. Whether you reender pretty pictures from DAZ, Cinema 4D or any other 3D program in this case is secondary. You are overthinking and overcomplicating this. In fact I'm ready to beleive that it would be much simpler to take your 3D geometry and make it look 2D, pose and animate it correctly, render a bunch of pictures and then repeat the procedure for a 3D-ish version so you are then able to simply cross-fade between them as you like.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D
                      Aivenhoe Level 1

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I am not so experienced in the ways of 3D.

I am not sure if I follow what Myllenium suggested. In DAZ there's an option to make the 3d look "cartoon-ish'. If that is what you mean, I thought of using that, but it is still not the same as a deliberately low-detailed 2d image e;g; like this: http://people.ngmnexpo.com/cliparts/2015/07/64940.jpg .

I am leaning towards playing with lights, making a black silhouette and then adding lights as the camera closes in. That would be my plan B. In fact I can limit my 2d to a simple still image, a .png or other image format and then morph it into an.mov with my 3d animation. Would that be possible?

• 8. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D
                        Aivenhoe Level 1

Roei, Re:flex is a new tool to me that I have never used. I need to research its capabilities before I go ahead and use it. But thanks for suggesting it anyway!

• 9. Re: Morphing 2D into 3D

I understand. in my experience with every new project you learn something and more often than not it is a new tool. you should be excited about it it is a pretty straightforward tool. good luck and hope to see the results here soon!