4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 7:28 AM by jhlacy

Best hardware setup for optimal performance

jhlacy

I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'd love to hear from some of the pros (especially Adobe folks) out there on what you think could be improved with my current setup. The goal is to optimize performance and speed in AE. My current setup is:

Model Name:Mac Pro Late 2013
        Model Identifier:MacPro6,1
        Processor Name:8-Core Intel Xeon E5
        Processor Speed:3 GHz
        Number of Processors:1
        Total Number of Cores:8
        L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
        L3 Cache:25 MB
        Memory:64 GB
        Graphics:AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
        Displays:Two 27" Thunderbolts
        Internal Storage:1TB SSD
        External Storage:2TB HDD & 500GB SSD

I absolutely love this machine and it's performance the majority of the time, but I've got a need for speed and would love to make some improvements.

Any thoughts on what I could add or change to make playback and renders faster in AE? I've read several articles about putting your footage on one drive and your cache and output on another, but haven't had any success with that. So far the fastest I've had things working is putting everything on the internal SSD. Curious to hear other's thoughts. I'd totally buy another external SSD, but don't know which one will give me the best performance. Thanks in advance for whoever wants to chime in!

• 1. Re: Best hardware setup for optimal performance
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I dunno, you've got a pretty decent machine.

Adding a second internal SSD could help. Having the cache on a really fast drive (such as an internal SSD), but separate from everything else is the recommended setup.

Adding a second processor would help if you use Cinema 4D (or the integrated C4D renderer coming in the next version of AE).

Having a faster clock speed on your processor would help with anything you do. You could do that by swapping the chip out or by overclocking (although, I don't know anything about overclocking on a Mac).

• 2. Re: Best hardware setup for optimal performance
            jhlacy Level 1

Thanks Szalam! Can always count on you for a solid answer.

As far as I understand the new Mac Pro doesn't have the ability to add a second internal SSD. I'll have to do some digging into that to see if there are other options. I'm guessing the only thing I'll be able to do is upgrade hardware with this machine as opposed to adding any additional internal hardware.

• 3. Re: Best hardware setup for optimal performance
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dang it. See? This is why I never bought one of those cylinder Mac Pros!

• 4. Re: Best hardware setup for optimal performance
                jhlacy Level 1

Haha I know. It's still a great machine for the time being, but lacks the essential ability to expand and customize like my old Mac Pro. Live and learn I guess. Any suggestions on super fast external drives? Been through a few now, but not seeing the speed I would like out of any of them.