7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2016 12:10 PM by Szalam

Cuda with GeForce 1080 and Win 10

Mister Shan Level 1

I am trying to use my 2 GeForce 1080s in SLI for Cuda acceleration in AFX and Premier. It says that CUDA is enabled. I wrote Geforce GTX 1080 into the support files and it reads the cards. However, when I try to play back a simple comp it's really slow. I check my CPU and its running at 100 percent and seems to be bottle necking. My CPU is a 5820k 6 core i7 so it shouldn't be that weak. I also checked in GPUz and its using like 300 meg of my video ram so that must mean it's using noting but the processor. With all the power of 2 1080s, this should be flying. Any ideas? I also am running everything off an SSD and I have 32 gigs of DDR 4 ram.

• 1. Re: Cuda with GeForce 1080 and Win 10
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

With all the power of 2 1080s, this should be flying.

No, it shouldn't. Any support for hardware acceleration is dependent on specific support and the 1080 simply isn't. Wait for the next update.

Mylenium

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cuda with GeForce 1080 and Win 10
            Mister Shan Level 1

I thought as long as the video card has cuda on the card it will be supported even if it isn't "officially" supported. I had 2 980's before this and they don't seem to be supported even now. I looked on the supported cards doc and it only goes up to the GeForce 700 series...

It seems to be working in Premier however...I do see GPU activity for it.

The card is several months old so whey wouldn't there be an update already for it? Or are you talking about Adobe CC 2016 or something?

• 3. Re: Cuda with GeForce 1080 and Win 10
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE doesn't use the GPU for much. It uses the GPU to accelerate the obsolete ray-traced renderer and it uses it to accelerate three effects: Lumetri, Sharpen, and the new and improved Gaussian Blur.

If you're not using those effects, I wouldn't expect your GPU to do much.

• 4. Re: Cuda with GeForce 1080 and Win 10
                Gutter-Fish Level 4

You had dual 980's & you bought a new video card?!!    Why?

• 5. Re: Cuda with GeForce 1080 and Win 10
                  Mister Shan Level 1

I had a protection plan on them and had issues with the 980s. They didn't have them in stock anymore so they replaced them with the 1080s.

I don't understand why Adobe would advertise CUDA acceleration so much if it was just using the CPU. Does Premier use CUDA?

Can someone from Adobe chime in and fill me in on what's going on here? Thanks.

• 6. Re: Cuda with GeForce 1080 and Win 10
                    Gutter-Fish Level 4

I see.  So you basically got a free upgrade, cool.

It seems AE is implementing cuda acceleration more and more but the 1080s are pretty new and I imagine the AE team has alot on their plates at the moment just trying to get AE to function properly with existing hardware let alone the brand new stuff. Actually, I think what looks to be the full integration of c4ds renderer in the next update might actually get me to start moving away from AE 2014.

Personally I usually don't go in for the "latest greatest" hardware or software as history tells me that it isn't always as great in the real world as it is on paper.  Hell, I just gave up my 560ti about a year ago for a 970.  The 560ti proved itself to be a great piece of hardware as has the 970 which is why I went with it.  And I plan on using that 970 for good long while.   I'm not sure why some hardware outperforms other hardware that in theory it should not.   I just know i'd rather play it safe.   As for Premier I don't know, I don't use it.

• 7. Re: Cuda with GeForce 1080 and Win 10
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mister Shan wrote:

I don't understand why Adobe would advertise CUDA acceleration so much if it was just using the CPU. Does Premier use CUDA?

AE talks about it so much because it's new. The ray-traced renderer thing is old (and a bit wonky), but having native effects in AE that are accelerated by the GPU is a big deal.

Yes, Premiere uses CUDA for a lot.