2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 6:13 AM by roryh90135309

Roto brush layer causing After Effects to crash

roryh90135309

Hello, I've had a problem with using the Roto Brush tool in After Effects for a while.

I began this project in Premiere where I edited the initial footage (H.264, 1920 x 1080, 25fps) and selected a 7s segment and imported it into AE by using the 'Replace with AE composition' option in Premiere. I am attempting to use the Roto Brush to make the lines highlighting part of the court appear behind the figure (please see screen shots). To do this I created the lines using Solid layers with the Stroke effect added to them (so they could be slightly animated) on transparent background. Then I duplicated the footage layer and used the Roto brush to select the parts of the footage that need to appear in front of the lines. Everything worked fine until I put the Roto layer above the Solid Layers, and then it makes the Shape Layers disappear at 58f. I can't see any reason for this to happen, if i then place the Roto layer below the shapes they reappear.

I've had this similar problem for a long time now, also when using Shape Layers. I've reinstalled AE but that didn't help. I contacted technical support but they assured me it is not a software issue but something wrong with my project and suggested posting in the forum.

I have late 2012 iMac, 2.9 Ghz Core i5, 32 GB 1600 Mhz DDr3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

And use AE CC Version 13.8.1.38 (it also says 24% used of 32GB)

I'm pretty new to AE so hoping there's an easy fix. Let me know if you need more info. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 10.15.07.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 10.15.30.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 10.15.56.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-08 at 10.16.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 10.29.36.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-08 at 10.30.15.png

• 1. Re: Roto brush layer causing After Effects to crash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

hoping there's an easy fix.

Sure there is. You need to pre-compose your line artwork and possibly your rotoscoped layer. This is a fundamental thing you need to understand about AE - the rendering pipeline and how "merging"/ "flattening" stuff via pre-compositions changes the internal order of operations and how specific tools and effects work just as well how it's useful to work with duplicates and use additional effects on top of existing done. You are simply using a bad workflow. Start by separating the roto process to its own comp and then re-use the resulting comp as a layer to be used as a matte on the line artwork, which also is it's own comp. Again, you need to structure your work better and understand some basic concepts. Indeed this is 100% user error by lack of knowledge. A short excursion to the help and some tutorials based on the keywords included in my hubub will do a lot for you...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Roto brush layer causing After Effects to crash
            roryh90135309 Level 1

Hi thanks a lot for getting back to me! So I've precomposed my line art work and am doing the same with the rotoscoped layer however this means I'm rotoscoping blind (what I was doing was painting in the roto layer, then referring back to the overall composition when I needed to be sure on detail where the line/figure met etc). By separating am I unable to view the progress of the rotoscope? Thanks