7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 5:40 AM by Steve Grisetti

What project preset can I use for instagram videos? (1:1 ratio)

Sheep63

Or is there a way I can set instagram ratio up as a preset???

• 1. Re: What project preset can I use for instagram videos? (1:1 ratio)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can not create a custom preset for Premiere Elements.

Premiere Elements bases its project's settings on the first clip of video you add to your timeline, either 4:3 or 16:9.

• 2. Re: What project preset can I use for instagram videos? (1:1 ratio)
            4anue

What's the best way to reformat/output an existing 1920x1080 video into 600x600 clip for Instagram in PE 14?

1.  I'd like to reformat existing video clips to 600x600 for Instagram, then transfer them to my Android phone.  I had some success by choosing Custom Export then I created a preset with size 600x600.  It still had black borders and it's ok but I'd love to hear from an expert exactly how to reformat/output an existing video to 600x600 from 1920x1080 source video.

2.  And how do I set up a project to output something close to these specs trusting that I can then output using the Custom Export tab as explained above?

Thx,

Antoinette

Video aspect ratio: 1.9:1 to 1:1

Minimum resolution: 600 x 315 pixels (1.9:1 landscape) / 600 x 600 pixels (square)

Minimum length: 3 seconds

Maximum length: 60 seconds

File type: Full list of supported file formats

Supported video codecs: H.264, VP8

Supported audio codecs: AAC, Vorbis

Maximum size: 4GB

Frame rate: 30fps max

Bitrate: No limit to bitrate file if you're using two pass encoding, as long as your file doesn't exceed 1 GB. Otherwise, 8 megabits per second for 1080p and 4 megabits per second for 720p.

• 3. Re: What project preset can I use for instagram videos? (1:1 ratio)
              4anue Level 1

Let me tell you what I already tried for #2 above and clarify my question since you already said there is no preset:

I looked at DSLR 1080p30 @29.97 fps seems to get the closest over 600x600, which means I'd lose edges; and that's fine because my videos have lots of empty space around the edge of the frame.

That's the closest fps speed to what my Android phone records.  I have Handbrake so theoretically I could convert raw film from my phone if you suggest a different setting than DSLR 1080p30 @29.97 fps.  Is there a method that will get me closer to a pure 600x600 output?

Thx

• 4. Re: What project preset can I use for instagram videos? (1:1 ratio)

The only way to output a 16:9 widescreen video into a 600x600 square video is to output it with letterboxing bars along the top and bottom of the video. Is that what you want to do?

Otherwise I can tell you how to output it as a 600x338 video, if that will work.

• 5. Re: What project preset can I use for instagram videos? (1:1 ratio)
                  4anue Level 1

Thanks Steve.  Can you post instructions for both?  When I transferred the videos I made earlier to my phone, the Instagram app gave me an error message that they would not play.

• 6. Re: What project preset can I use for instagram videos? (1:1 ratio)
                    whsprague Adobe Community Professional

A key part of the Instagram "ethos" is that the videos and photos need to be created on your phone.  I don't know what it is, but you have to first figure out what Instagram expects.  Then you MAY be able to match it.  This won't be easy.

• 7. Re: What project preset can I use for instagram videos? (1:1 ratio)

To output a 600x338 video from your project, go to Export & Share/Devices/Custom. On the Custom screen, select Advanced Settings.

On the Export Settings screen, set the Preset to MP4-H.264 1920x1080 30fps. Then, under the Video tab, set the Basic Video Settings Width to 600. (The Height will automatically change to 338.) Set Frame Rate to 30. Click OK. You'll then be prompted to name the new preset you've created (call it Instagram) and it will be available thereafter as a Custom preset.

Create a 600x600 is a bit more complicated -- but there's really no point to it. the 600x338 will give you the minimal sized video you're asking for.