4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2016 8:30 AM by John Lastar

HD won't show pics

John Lastar

All my pics have been and are still on an external HD. They are the only thing on that drive.  I recently had a Win problem and had to do a clean reinstall of Win10. My LR is a CC version so I was able to get back up and running with it.

My problem is when I go to the drive where all my pics are they don't show up. When I click on the drive letter I get nothing. I can load the catalogs one at a time but that is all I see. I'm unable to move anything between folders. I have show sub folders selected but they don't show up. Some of my folders have a few sub folders. Some of the folders have a question mark.

I really don't want to have to Import a few thousand pictures again so if anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

Thank you...

• 1. Re: HD won't show pics
          dj_paige Level 9

My problem is when I go to the drive where all my pics are they don't show up. When I click on the drive letter I get nothing

Explain this further, please. Lots and lots of details are needed here. What exact actions do you mean by "go to the drive"? Are you in Lightroom? Are you in the Library Module or somewhere else? Can you show us a screen capture?

Also, after the Win 10 re-install, did you open the old catalog that was working before the Win 10 re-install? Or did you do something else?

• 2. Re: HD won't show pics
            John Lastar Level 1

OK. I reinstalled windows and went to Adobe and DL my copy of lightroom.

I opened LR. I had some pics to copy to LR. I copied them to my drive "M," which is the external drive where I have all my pics stored. When I opened M all I got was the pics I had just put there. I have over a thousand pics stored there in about 100 different folders and subfolders. None of them are visible in LR. If I go to the file and open a catalog it opens fine but that's the only one showing in M. If I open another catalog it will show in M but nothing else. The pics are all on drive M and I can see them when I open the drive.

Previously when I was in LR and opened M I would get all my folders. Not all of them (folders) are cataloged but their names would still be visible. Now the only file I see is the one I am working on.

I'm talking about the ones on the left in the "folders" area. The only thing visible in my folders is M and the subfile I just imported. Nothing else. So I am unable to move anything to another folder.

If in drive M I have a folder called animals and in that folder there are sub folders called dog and cat. Today I want to take pictures of dogs and cats and import them. Previously I could import them to a folder called "import only" and then I could move them to a dog or cat folder.

Drive M doesn't show any of it's subfolders in LR. In the folders In the library dropdown I do have "show subfolders" checked but it doesn't show any.

Perhaps I'm missing something and if so I would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

There may be an easier or better way to do it but this is the way I'm most comfortable with.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

• 3. Re: HD won't show pics
              dj_paige Level 9

If I go to the file and open a catalog it opens fine but that's the only one showing in M. If I open another catalog it will show in M but nothing else.

You probably need to combine the catalogs. Open one catalog, then use the menu command File->Import from Another Catalog, then point to the second catalog.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: HD won't show pics
                John Lastar Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion. When I read it I realized that I had done that a long time ago and that was what was opening previously. So I found the folder for "all Pics" and opened the catalog and I'm now able to use LR the way I have been using it.

I appreciate you for the suggestion.