6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 2:40 PM by pdfUser1

Javascript and Document Cloud...

pdfUser1 Level 1

I'm looking for some insight regarding this Document Cloud. I'm not sure I know what it is although I've done some searching. What I've found is not very clear and vague. Leading me to ask even more questions.

Basically, what I'm trying to get answered is,

Can I share files with other people if I had a Cloud account?

If so, Can I limit the time they have access to the files?

Can I include javascript in the document I put on the Cloud?

Can I access the files on iPads and mobile phones?

Do the people you share files with have the option to download the file(s)?

How and where do I get an account? With whom?

Do I purchase it?

Is it web based only?

If someone can fill me in on this I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Javascript and Document Cloud...
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You'll find answers to most of those questions here:Adobe Document Cloud FAQs

Yes, a document you place in the cloud can include JavaScript. You can place any PDF you create

• 2. Re: Javascript and Document Cloud...
            pdfUser1 Level 1

Thanks for the link George, but that didn't lead to the answers to my questions. The Q's and A's are very vague with techno babble. I even tried to call Adobe (a horrible 2 hour phone call). I'm still trying to get my questions answered. It shouldn't be this hard and so time consuming.

I hope someone can provide some first hand knowledge answers to put me out of my misery.

• 3. Re: Javascript and Document Cloud...
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'll try answering to the best of my knowledge:

Can I share files with other people if I had a Cloud account? - Yes

If so, Can I limit the time they have access to the files? - I don't think so. You can cancel their access to the files whenever you want, though.

Can I include javascript in the document I put on the Cloud? - Yes

Can I access the files on iPads and mobile phones? - Yes

Do the people you share files with have the option to download the file(s)? - Yes, otherwise it's useless to them

How and where do I get an account? With whom? - Adobe's website. Create an account and you'll have access to the Cloud.

Do I purchase it? - I think you can use it in a limited fashion for free. If you purchase a cloud subscription then you have access to more features/space.

Is it web based only? - A cloud is web-based by definition.

• 4. Re: Javascript and Document Cloud...
                pdfUser1 Level 1

thanks for the feedback. What I'm hoping to do is have the recipient view the doc online as if they were using the Reader, but not allow downloading the doc. So in essence, they could see it but not download it.

And if I'm understanding what you're saying, and being web based, they would be able to view the doc on a mobile device such as an iPad? Even with javascript embedded? Or is the Cloud thang just for storage like a hard drive of a computer and not for viewing docs? I'm looking to allow viewing PDF's online through the browser. Any other suggestions?

• 5. Re: Javascript and Document Cloud...
                  try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The cloud is just (shared) online storage. It has nothing to do with how the file is being viewed or what it contains.

Mobile viewers can view the file if they have a viewer app installed for that file type. It can be Adobe Acrobat Reader, or anything else. And you can't make the file viewable and prevent it from being downloaded. The former is a prerequisite of the latter.

• 6. Re: Javascript and Document Cloud...
                    pdfUser1 Level 1

I came to that same conclusion, slowly. It's something new I just now learned about it, but I was, I guess blinded by my hopes, that I wanted it to be what I wanted to see. Now, I understand. Thanks.